Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fancy shooting jerseys with names on them...

-JCN-

I’m new to the sport and stay local for matches. But I see a lot of guys (of all skill levels) wearing jerseys with their names on them. 

Are these things that they get / got for registering at big matches or are they things that they paid money separately to have made?

Just curious and didn’t want to ask someone in person....

Some are paid for by sponsors, some by the individual in order to meet sponsor requirements, some by those that want to look like the BMOC, some that just want to be part of the gangs..

YMMV.

some are also the most “interesting shooters you will ever meet.”

take note of the names, then look around at the sport news... some are great shooters... some are the avg Joe...

like I said your mileage may Vary....

1 hour ago, -JCN- said:

Are these things that they get / got for registering at big matches or are they things that they paid money separately to have made?

Both. I think of them as no different than bowling league shirts. Or bumper stickers. 

One can get pretty nasty at a match so it's nice to have a shirt or two dedicated to the endeavor. 

If I'm now asked to wear a shirt I ask them to just send me a t shirt rather than a fancier shirt.

Also for some people it's part of their persona. You'll see guys form teams and all get the same shirt made. Team hold my beer. Team Godzilla. And so on.

People wear them to the matches for the same reasons serious road bikers and wanna-be serious bikers wear them (Techwear was started by an ex-pro racer). 

The good jerseys are very nice if you shoot where it's hot. 

Beat the pants off the old embroidered polos we used to wear. 

I like shooting Jerseys. A few were bought for me but the vast majority I bought myself over the years. I Have a few sponsors who give me discounts so I advertise them for free. Then quite a few buy th m as part of major matches. They are much cheaper than buying outright custom shirts from TechWear. Just like any other hobby we dive into headfirst I suppose. I have probably 10-12 shirts in the closet that I had made. Geez, I have a ton of money just in shirts.....🤔

Also it's a tradition at World Shoots and some of the Level 4 IPSC matches to trade shirts after the match as souvenirs.  The first couple days there are lots of eyes out for the most-desirable shirt designs and deals are made early for the rare ones-- at a World Shoot, these are team / country shirts, without a lot of sponsor ads on them.  I've acquired many over the years-- Venezuela, Czech Republic, El Salvador, New Zealand, Switzerland, Brazil, Greece, Sweden, Aruba, Monaco and others and of course I kept one of the US team shirts from each match too, so I've got half a closet full.  Every now and then I'll wear one of the ones that fit to a local match for the fun of it, even if some new guy ends up thinking I'm 'Dimitri Poppadopupolis' or 'Sven Kaarlstromm' for a while ;)

I never really understood why you'd wear one if you weren't sponsored until I got a gift certificate and ordered this one.

7a0f6c45e75943385c4abe3b20512079.jpg

Now that I have one I realize why people wear them. They're really comfortable and keep you pretty cool. It's been hot as balls last few matches and the wicking qualities and the vented material really helps.

I will buy more for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Our local club places orders from time to time so members (and new members) can get a high-tech material with the club name and their own name, if they wish. It's just a nice shooting shirt and it's no different than wearing a jersey in any sport. TechWear also sells all sorts of designs, so you can go from mild to wild. Either way, a shirt like that is very comfortable for shooting, particularly in hot weather. 

17 hours ago, shred said:

Also it's a tradition at World Shoots and some of the Level 4 IPSC matches to trade shirts after the match as souvenirs.  The first couple days there are lots of eyes out for the most-desirable shirt designs and deals are made early for the rare ones-- at a World Shoot, these are team / country shirts, without a lot of sponsor ads on them.  I've acquired many over the years-- Venezuela, Czech Republic, El Salvador, New Zealand, Switzerland, Brazil, Greece, Sweden, Aruba, Monaco and others and of course I kept one of the US team shirts from each match too, so I've got half a closet full.  Every now and then I'll wear one of the ones that fit to a local match for the fun of it, even if some new guy ends up thinking I'm 'Dimitri Poppadopupolis' or 'Sven Kaarlstromm' for a while ;)

That’s pretty cool. I haven’t ever heard of that!!

I really don’t have a use for a shooting jersey. I kinda like being the redneck that shows up in jeans and a cowboy hat and shoots good. Or at least sometimes shoots good🤣

I have a stack of shooting shirts from leagues and LII and III shoots.  I don't wear any of them to shoots, because active cooling shirts work better than any of them.  They wick better than Techware and others, and they actively cool.  Check out Columbia Freezer Zero, Artic Cool Hydrofreeze X, or Mission VaporActive.  I have all of them and promise you they work.

A small local group of us designed and bought our own "team" shirts from Techwear.  I will say that personally, I think their shirts are awesome.  When shooters see me wearing mine at a match and ask about it, I tell them that for about $120.00 they too can appear to be sponsored.

I'm pretty sure that the only way I'll ever get more is by buying them outright, and I'm ok with that.  They look cool, and I like wearing them at matches.

On 9/5/2020 at 4:02 PM, zzt said:

I have a stack of shooting shirts from leagues and LII and III shoots.  I don't wear any of them to shoots, because active cooling shirts work better than any of them.  They wick better than Techware and others, and they actively cool.  Check out Columbia Freezer Zero, Artic Cool Hydrofreeze X, or Mission VaporActive.  I have all of them and promise you they work.

+ 1

Lots of effective wicking shirts available out there from non-shooting related companies.  Some of the quite affordable.

On 9/4/2020 at 8:00 PM, shred said:

People wear them to the matches for the same reasons serious road bikers and wanna-be serious bikers wear them (Techwear was started by an ex-pro racer). 

i must be doing it wrong. I wear a cycling jersey when I ride because it has pockets in the back. I shoot in a cool stretchy plaid shirt. Nothing against the sponsorship look, just not my thing.

I'd get one if I was sponsored but frankly I'm pretty cheap so I'm not going to buy one. If it's really hot out, I'll wear an old brown under armor shirt I have from my Army days and if it's cooler I just wear a t shirt.

I've got nothing against guys that wear them if that's what they like to shoot in. Most the people I shoot with are in the t-shirt and jeans crowd.

On 9/5/2020 at 1:02 PM, zzt said:

Just ordered a few - I'm in the hot part of the country, not quite as hot as Rio Salado, but still... Will see how well they work compared to the jerseys I already have. 

• 2 weeks later...