Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extractor question

a matt

For about 25k rounds running
9 major I’ve had great results with running the Aftec extractor but over the last 1000 rounds I’ve had a few, 5 or 6 cases that the Aftec didn’t seem to grab to extract.  I was looking to just get a new Aftec but I can’t find one in stock anywhere so I was thinking about the HD EGW. Before I went that way I wanted see what other 9 majors shooters are running other than the Aftec extractors?  Thanks 

Have had Aftec's in a couple of my open guns with spotty luck. Have been running a Brazos custom Tuned extractor for awhile now with no problems. All I had to do for the install was put the tension bend in it.

gerritm

I used to have AFTEC's in all of my guns. They used to provide a very long life before the hook started getting rounded but the newer ones would get rounded in at least half the round count. That is when I switched over to using the EGW HD extractors and have had awesome luck with them. The highest mileage EGW HD extractor I had so far before replacing it was 75K in a 40 cal Limited gun. This extractor actually got a chip taken out of the extractor hook and it was still functioning reliably but the spent case trajectory was getting inconsistent. This extractor was DLC coated when it was new and I suspect the heat associated with the DLC coating process caused the metal to get too brittle. Other than the chip area, the hook was still sharp and not worn out. I fed it a new EGW HD Extractor and its been running like a champ as expected.

Regardless of what brand or style of extractor you get they all need to be setup properly initially and then maintained regularly to ensure they always have sufficient tension. This is easily checked each time you clean the gun by shoving a case under the extractor to check the tension.

1 hour ago, CHA-LEE said:

Regardless of what brand or style of extractor you get they all need to be setup properly initially and then maintained regularly to ensure they always have sufficient tension. This is easily checked each time you clean the gun by shoving a case under the extractor to check the tension.

I stopped using EGW HD extractors because of the problems with them in Caspian slides.  They require too much effort to get set up, and there are still compromises.  I'm certain that is the slide's faulty and not the HD.  I have several new ones in my parts bins that I may eventually find a use for.  I have a newish rule.  If you buy a Caspian or STI slide, get someone else to work on them.

5 hours ago, Glock17open said:

Have you changed the springs on your aftec.  Aftec recommends changing the springs every 5000 rounds.  They recommend moving the back spring to the front and putting a new spring in the back. Solves any problems I have had, every time.

Yes. I change them regularly.  They’ve been great, I bought a few for my 2011’s years ago and fine until lately.  I do worry about the quality of what’s been available these days because it’ seems it’s fallen off over the years.  IMO. 
thanks everyone for your thoughts.  I’ve ordered 2 of the HD EGW & the Brazo’s along with each of their firing pin stops.  So after I decide which works best for my gun I’ll just fit the 2nd one for a back up until my new Gun gets finished up.  

thanks for the info. 

Edited by a matt

I had an Aftec for a year, ran great. Spring broke, replaced. 6 months later, the spring case broke (at a Match). Got a EGW 10350. Works great 4 Matches later. Got it bent just right, where the brass ejects horizontal (3 O'clock looking from the top) and 7' away. Done.

2 hours ago, rishii said:

I’m using the egw practical extractor in my major 9 gun, I tried both the aftec and the HD extractors and I could never get enough tension on them for reliable extraction

For some reason that is pretty common, especially with some slides.  You have to remove material from the positioning/locating pad until you get tension.  If you don't and try bending it more without removing material it gets so tight you have to tap it in with a hammer.  Then getting it out again is a bear.  For some reason I cannot understand, they are fit much more easily in 45 than in 9mm.

As far as the Aftec goes, the only time I've seen that is if the radii on the front and back of the right side of the PFS are not large enough.