Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solar trivia question

Each night, beginning in August, I see a specific star rise in the same spot behind a tree to the northeast of my porch. My chair is always in the exact same spot. About 30 minutes after it rises it disappears behind an electric pole. I timed its disappearnce for 7 consectutive days; and each nigh it disappears 4 minutes earlier. Why is that?

Because the Earth is 1/365 further along it's arc around the Sun each day. 

4 minutes x 365 days yields 1460 minutes which is 24.3 hours, which would be one complete circuit of the Earth when viewed from the perspective of the Sun.

What BJB is telling is that every day our view - observer on Earth - is rotated by 1/365 of the full cycle. That is about 4 minutes on time scale - like what you're seeing. You / we face same direction off by 4 min each day (not exactly, but ok for adjacent days).

On 9/3/2020 at 2:46 PM, arkadi said:

What BJB is telling is that every day our view - observer on Earth - is rotated by 1/365 of the full cycle. That is about 4 minutes on time scale - like what you're seeing. You / we face same direction off by 4 min each day (not exactly, but ok for adjacent days).

There is a simpler way to say that last sentence, that makes it instantly understandable.