Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Primers in Pistol Loads --- Reliability

jfp

12 minutes ago, 3gunDMD said:

over how many rounds would you guess?

Not many.  I don't know how long it took before I noticed the putting, but after I had the breech face repaired I mistakenly ran more from the same lot and noticed more erosion within the first couple hundred rounds.  Duh.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2020 at 9:56 PM, teros135 said:

Not many.  I don't know how long it took before I noticed the putting, but after I had the breech face repaired I mistakenly ran more from the same lot and noticed more erosion within the first couple hundred rounds.  Duh.  

How was the breech face repaired? Curious about the options out there.

1 hour ago, motherFNbrandon said:

How was the breech face repaired? Curious about the options out there.

They bored out the breech face and inserted a plug (slightly tapered, press fit, I believe), then refaced it and redrilled the firing pin hole.  Very nice work; all you can see is the thin outline of the plug.

• 2 weeks later...

I think load matters for erosion. The magnum cups are harder, so it would take more pressure to seal them in the primer pockets. So mag primers with bunny fart loads I would expect to be a problem.

Were your loads 40 major or minor?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2020 at 4:20 PM, Brazos Custom said:

Breechface erosion can be caused by a combination of small rifle primers and light loads.  The light load does not provide enough pressure to expand the primer and seal the gas in. It escapes around the primer and burns the breechface. Does not happen all the time but it is something to check for if you are loading light.

100% agree. If you are loading for major pf (in USPSA open for instance), breech face erosion should not be an issue as the primer cup flattens out pretty well with loads running major pf. Glad you raised this about light loads, because people made me believe it would happen in ANY load using an SRP and that is just not true in my experience. 

On 10/16/2020 at 9:56 PM, teros135 said:

You have any photos of the pitting before you had it repaired? 

One factor toward the breech face erosion - besides the primer - may be whether or not you are using "fast" or "slow" powders.  "fast" powders should build pressure more rapidly and help expand the sides of the primers better.

I've been using SRP(Winchester until this drought, now CCI 400's) in everything since my 9x21 days back in the 90's... No issues in G34, 2011, STI DVC or Sig P320 X5 Legion with GG light springs.  I was using Clays in the .40's so I'm guessing there was enough pressure to seal them. 😉  No issues with 9mm and VV320 so far... 

9 minutes ago, Chutist said:

I've been using SRP(Winchester until this drought, now CCI 400's) in everything since my 9x21 days back in the 90's... No issues in G34, 2011, STI DVC or Sig P320 X5 Legion with GG light springs.  I was using Clays in the .40's so I'm guessing there was enough pressure to seal them. 😉  No issues with 9mm and VV320 so far... 

And I can’t imagine SRP magnum would be (really) any different. Do you?

20 hours ago, Chutist said:

I don't...

But I don't flirt with the bottom of the power factor floor so pressure don't seem to be an issue in my guns. YMMV ;) 

Makes sense. I am always running 170-174 PF. Should be good you think?