Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2, a red dot, and steel

Stafford

I was a poor shooter using my stock Glocks and M&P on steel. Wasn't a lot of fun. Then, I got a Shadow 2 and steel became much more fun to shoot. But, I was never as good as the Youtube shooters. Then I added a dot this weekend and shot it on paper and was impressed. Just got back from shooting the Shadow 2 with the dot and it was much easier than ever before and this was just my second time using the dot. Much better on the plate rack and a whole lot better on the smaller plate tree. I did try to crank the speed up on my last three mags and lost accuracy with the dot all over the place. But I'm hopeful that with practice, I can get much faster. 

12 hours ago, Stafford said:

I was a poor shooter using my stock Glocks and M&P on steel. Wasn't a lot of fun. Then, I got a Shadow 2 and steel became much more fun to shoot. But, I was never as good as the Youtube shooters. Then I added a dot this weekend and shot it on paper and was impressed. Just got back from shooting the Shadow 2 with the dot and it was much easier than ever before and this was just my second time using the dot. Much better on the plate rack and a whole lot better on the smaller plate tree. I did try to crank the speed up on my last three mags and lost accuracy with the dot all over the place. But I'm hopeful that with practice, I can get much faster. 

Plastic guns are no fun, what kind of red dot are you using on your CZ S2 platform? Practice makes perfect, bring the dot to eye level and it's easier to track/acquire the dot...Raise your pistol to eye level while maintaining both eyes open that should help with practice you'll soon master the red dot~! 

Holosun 407CO V2 on an EGW dovetail mount. I’ve shot it only two times now and I really like it. Of course, I might like other models too, but don’t have much experience shooting dots. Will try it out tonight at my local indoor USPSA match in Carry Optics. 

10 hours ago, Stephen7942 said:

The dot is a game changer for sure. I run a SP-01 shadow w/ Delta Point Pro _ it's a fun setup for sure. I recently got into PCC and can't seem to go back to the pistol... Its a blast!!

I may be wrong about this, but with a dot, it seems that dry fire is more valuable than with iron sights. In that finding the dot is the most important thing.  

With iron sights, I needed live fire to validate that I was actually on target. But that may be because I'm somewhat inexperienced compared to someone who's been shooting and dry firing for many years. 

Good to hear that the set up is working for you Stafford. I plan on adding a dot to one of my CZs in the near future. I have been procrastinating on it for a long time now. I am looking at the SRO. If you have not seen them, Aaron Cowan of  the Sage Dynamics youtube channel has some good RDS Handgun Fundamentals videos on the subject. 

Here is a link to one of them.

RDS Handgun Fundamentals: Drawstroke

12 hours ago, Stafford said:

I may be wrong about this, but with a dot, it seems that dry fire is more valuable than with iron sights. In that finding the dot is the most important thing.  

With iron sights, I needed live fire to validate that I was actually on target. But that may be because I'm somewhat inexperienced compared to someone who's been shooting and dry firing for many years. 

I certainly agree with you there. The muscle memory of finding the dot is definitely a skill that takes repetition to build. Give it some time and you will be eyes on target pulling the gun/dot dead on in no time. Enjoy!!

5 hours ago, Tok36 said:

Good to hear that the set up is working for you Stafford. I plan on adding a dot to one of my CZs in the near future. I have been procrastinating on it for a long time now. I am looking at the SRO. If you have not seen them, Aaron Cowan of  the Sage Dynamics youtube channel has some good RDS Handgun Fundamentals videos on the subject. 

Here is a link to one of them.

RDS Handgun Fundamentals: Drawstroke

Thanks for the link and info. I will be giving these guys a watch soon.