Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig X5 Legion vs Canik TP9SFX


Recommended Posts

I'm coming from shooting Open for years - thought I'd try Carry Optic where the cost of racing is lots cheaper. I picked up a like new X5 and a new Canik TP9SFX. The comparsion between the two has been fun to date. Both a Excellent pistols and each has its own positives for me. Both pistol have run flawless through my testing so far.

 

X5 - equipped

Romeo Pro 1, Gray Guns competition sear and spring setup, Keres Pro adjustable trigger..Talon Grip wrap..

 

Canik - Came with Vortex red dot, I installed following upgrades - Freedomsmith Pro trigger, Taylor Freelance Brass back strap, Ghost 6.5 Firing Pin Spring, Reduced Power Pin  Safety plunder Spring, Talon Grip wraps

 

The X5 trigger has little pre-travel, smooth take up til break and nice short re-set. I'm guessing the trigger is 3.5 lbs or so. After my mods, the Canik has very little pre-travel(enough that I feel plenty safe with it) smooth, crisp, short take up till break and again, very nice short reset. It's hard to believe what the Freedomsmith trigger did for this gun. I'm estimating the trigger breaks at around 4.o-4.5lbs. Its a little heavier than the X5's, but it's just as nice or nicer in it's on way. I haven't group them yet, but both guns appear to be very accurate shooting freehand out to 30 yards. Load is 4.1 gr of titgroup, 124 MG JHP for both pistol producing 130-135 PF in both guns -Interesting enough, the Canik is about 20fps faster than the X5 with the same load, but they are close enough that I can use one load for both guns knowing I'm making PF. Both guns come apart easy for fast, easy cleaning, but the X5 is easiest.  Shooting the guns - they both shoot great, and both are likely better than I am...The Canik took a little work with a dremel tool in a few places to keep the plastic frame from biting into my hand...the beavertail area at rear of gun, and I double undercut the trigger guard. I have smaller hands so the Canik with the Taylor Tungsten back strap really fits my hands very well..I dislike the extended slide release - I keep getting my thumb/finger against it rubbing a sore spot. The normal release is on order and should clear this up.  The Sig just feels more sturdy and heavier. It's grip feels a little large for me, but yet its still comfortable and I'm shooting it well. The trigger guard need to be double undercut for my taste, but I'm not wild about the ideal of grinding on a $1000 pistol.

 

On the shot, the Canik definitely has more felt recoil/shock to the hand. The poly frame of the Sig does a great job reducing this efffect. Both guns come to a very natural point of aim for me as well...I've got lots more shooting and testing to do to figure out which pistol is best for me, but I'm looking forward to seeing how both guns do at matches. I've got a match this coming weekend, just got to decide which gun to shoot first. The Canik had been a HUGE surprise for me. $649 with the Vortex, two mags and holster - Deal of the century for someone wanting to get into the sport, and have a very competitive gun right out the box...make a few upgrades and have a incredible gun for the money. The X5 is everything it should be as well and what you'd expect from Sig...a great gun...

Edited by falconpilot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These two are very different. I could try to tell you what I think but most people really just want to hear what they’re already thinking. 
 

I’ve owned both. I picked the one I did because I think I shoot it better. No other reason. Not because I like the feel of it better or because it shoots softer. 
 

 

I would try to focus on which one you shoot better. Then go with that one. 
 


everyone that chimes in is just gonna try to reinforce their decisions for what they chose. 
 

I know who turned you on to the canik. (A mutual friend). Ask him what I shoot. 

Edited by B_RAD
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I called him a couple weeks back asking about a CO gun, and he talked about how well you are shooting your Canik. I've been shooting them both quite a bit for the last day or so, and I gotta be honest - From what I'm see so far, I'm shooting the Canik better. I think part of it is the grip is smaller so it fits me better. Until I shoot them in real conditions, on a stage, I'm holding off and  trying to remain open minded...then, as you say, I'll make a decision on which one I shoot best, and buy a back up of it..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, falconpilot said:

I called him a couple weeks back asking about a CO gun, and he talked about how well you are shooting your Canik. I've been shooting them both quite a bit for the last day or so, and I gotta be honest - From what I'm see so far, I'm shooting the Canik better. I think part of it is the grip is smaller so it fits me better. Until I shoot them in real conditions, on a stage, I'm holding off and  trying to remain open minded...then, as you say, I'll make a decision on which one I shoot best, and buy a back up of it..

👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You mentioned shooting them in real conditions, on a stage to see which you like better. I would be nervous about making the wrong decision based off stage or match performance to see which you prefer. You may have forced something on that stage or fumbled here or there. I would try simple drills that you can repeat several times and see how they average out with you. Do multiple Bill Drills, EL Prez, Criss Cross or whatever and see what how each gun does once you take all the runs in and avg. This will help eliminate one offs like a bad draw or reload here and there, but will help show how you do and consistent you are with one set up vs the other. All lot can happen on one stage or a match. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, converse15 said:

You mentioned shooting them in real conditions, on a stage to see which you like better. I would be nervous about making the wrong decision based off stage or match performance to see which you prefer. You may have forced something on that stage or fumbled here or there. I would try simple drills that you can repeat several times and see how they average out with you. Do multiple Bill Drills, EL Prez, Criss Cross or whatever and see what how each gun does once you take all the runs in and avg. This will help eliminate one offs like a bad draw or reload here and there, but will help show how you do and consistent you are with one set up vs the other. All lot can happen on one stage or a match. 

Very good point

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Put about 500-600 rounds through each gun now in practice..timer and consistency tells me I’m shooting Sig quite bit better..I’m getting sight picture/dot much faster with Sig..the Canik still fits me hands a lot better, but it’s just not as natural point of aim as Sig..I know I could spend little time dry firing and help this though..the Sig has yet malfunctioned..Canik jammed up twice now with stock spring..installed Tungsten guide rod and 12 pd commander spring..gun run perfect today..It’s hard to pick just one of these..they are both great guns. I’m fixing get dermal tool out of start reducing and undercutting the Sig grip..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did everything you did as well as adding the Taylor Freelance brass base plate extensions which are legal for USPSA (mag length less than 140mm) adds four rounds and a LOT of weight down low and a Tungsten guide rod which adds weight up top-both add a considerable amount of weight to the Canik. ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/14/2020 at 2:14 PM, copterdrvr said:

I did everything you did as well as adding the Taylor Freelance brass base plate extensions which are legal for USPSA (mag length less than 140mm) adds four rounds and a LOT of weight down low and a Tungsten guide rod which adds weight up top-both add a considerable amount of weight to the Canik. ....

what tungsten guide rod did you install in the canik TP9FSx?  i have one and the muzzle flips with a power factor of about 135 (124 grain bullet going about 1100fps)- what # recoil spring did you use?  what manufacturer of recoil spring? did you cut any coils off of the spring? thanks. looking froeward to your response.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...