Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target shooting order question

parabat

So im quite curious about this, and what you guys prefer.

3 open targets right in front, after shooting them you have to move lets say to the right.

What is the most effecient way to engage and leave position? 

Shoot right to left, or left to right?

For me it feels most natural to shoot right to left and sort of fall out of of position to move to the right. But im really curious if im doing it right? 

Doesn't really matter.

But my preference depends on the next target after the 3 open targets. I try to minimize the angle at which my gun needs to move. If the fourth target is at the same angle of approach as the rightmost target, then I'm shooting left to right. However, if that fourth target is far away movement wise, then I'll probably shoot right to left as I can exit on the leftmost target.

there are alot of personal preferences in this, and also alot more stuff to consider.... where are you coming from? where are you going? are you able to start shooting immediately as you leave that position? can you start moving early while shooting some of the targets? etc....

It can be enlightening to set up scenarios that you saw in a match and try them different ways to see if there's a difference in time, accuracy or comfort.

15 hours ago, Sethdaniel05 said:

I’d feel more comfortable shooting left to right. Probably would shoot it that way regardless of movement direction.

I just have more reps shooting in that direction. If SHO is go right to left.

sounds like you should maybe put in some reps shooting right to left, so you don't feel compelled to shoot left to right in situations where it's not advantageous. 

the timer shows I definitely shoot a little better right to left, but I do equal amounts of reps in each direction (both dry fire and live fire) so I can be comfortable doing whichever way is fastest.

sounds like you should maybe put in some reps shooting right to left, so you don't feel compelled to shoot left to right in situations where it's not advantageous. 

the timer shows I definitely shoot a little better right to left, but I do equal amounts of reps in each direction (both dry fire and live fire) so I can be comfortable doing whichever way is fastest.

Your are right... I do believe there are some inherent advantages in body mechanics going left to right for right handed shooters (and for me being left eye dominant as well). Which means I should practice more going the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, lots of good info shot timer wise there isnt much difference, although i didnt test it that much yet. i was just wondering wich one  has the most effecient/natural bodymechanics to leave the position 

Edited by parabat

It depends on the actual layout. If you're shooting through a narrow port, going right to left might help you back out of that position and gain some distance toward the next position. Same thing if you are entering that position and shooting through that narrow port, the right target is going to be the first one you see. If it's wide open and right in front of you I'd want to go left to right because that gets your momentum going right and makes the transition shorter to the next target

• 5 weeks later...

Just repeating what others have said, there are so many variables that can alter this one way or the other. I shot a match on Oregon that had three or four targets on the left side of the stage. By shooting them right to left, you could back out of the array setting yourself up for the next target almost perfectly. But some chose to come in on the left target and finish on the hard right target as opposed to driving into a hard lean before beginning to shoot. Ultimately you have to practice all of the different ways and see which one works best for you. Do you shoot faster coming in or leaving. Best advice is to practice all of them so you are comfortable with any style

• 3 weeks later...

For the last year I've been focusing on entering positions, engagement order, and leaving positions.  

For your scenario, as others have said it's hard to take the multiple variables into account, but for arguments sake let's just say that your body and shoulders need to move to the right for targets a bit further down range from the current three you're engaging.  

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm not a GM or anything, but during my walk through I'd airgun it both ways and see which way puts my body into the correct position for the next array and next target.  To me, I'd engage 3 open targets on the left from left to right knowing that if I'm shooting on the move on those three open targets, going from right to left will turn my shoulders away from what I want to go (to the right).  Then I'd need to turn more to engage targets on the right than I would if I shot them left to right.  

I also shoot a lot of 3 gun which I'm a bit better at, and depending on when I see certain targets, I'll engage them the opposite way.  For example if there are 4 clay targets on the right, but one of them is behind a barrel, I'll engage the three I can see going from farthest to nearest, and by the time I've shot the nearest one, I'll see the one hidden behind a barrel, even though that might put my body facing a position away from the next array of targets.  

I've noticed that all the high level shooters do this.  They seem to do their best to eliminate extra distance between transitions, and putting their bodies into position for the next array.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 8:24 AM, Intheshaw1 said:

I prefer left to right and my momentum is taking me to the right where the movement is heading.

But Rowdy is right, set it up and try it on a timer and see which one is better for you.

I agree.  I like to shoot towards where I’m headed unless that makes it into a tight corner, then I back out toward the next target.