Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Suggestion: CZ Scorpion EVO S1 Carbine or IWI Tavor X95 Bullpup?

Hi all.  I am looking to purchase my first PCC.  I will use it as a truck gun and for some plinking fun, so the small length is a must.  I have basically narrowed it down to these two very different guns.  I have not shot either, and do not have the opportunity to shoot either before I buy.  I would appreciate hearing any experiences you have had with these guns, and which you might think is better for my intended uses.  Thanks in advance!

Frank

Don't know about the Tavor, but I have a buddy who shoots a CZ Scorpion and made M with it. Runs great only problem I have ever seen is with getting a mag extension coupling strait so it fed  reliably. Ran great with stock mags. 

gerritm

Can't go wrong with scorpion. Super reliable, I've changed a recoil spring and broke a hammer spring in 15 to 20k. Works with ammo of wide power factor variance. Mags are cheap, PSA makes a nice one with steel feed lips, under 20 bucks I think. The bad: stock trigger is heavy, a little work makes it decent, heavy bolt makes recoil noticeable (no worse than an untuned AR9).

I thought I wanted a Tavor in .223. Got to handle and fire one. Felt very awkward, very butt heavy. Maybe you'd get use to it. But a nice quality gun.

I was a very early scorpion adopter. I moved on from it because of the fore end and the mags.

Very little tune ability to the gun vs the ar based variants.

I've shot both tavor versions and I wouldn't choose it as a game gun.

Being that you’re just looking for a “truck gun” and not a competition PCC like most of us run around here, given the choice between the 2 you mentioned, I’d go with the Scorpion for sure. The Scorpions have been around for a while and are a proven platform that’s known to be good. Also, for really the opposite reasons, I’d stay away from the Tavor, they’re an unknown quantity  and probably not worth the headache of living with such a “unicorn” type platform, especially for what they cost. As someone who bought a Tavor in 5.56 years ago right when they hit the US market; they’re cooler in pics and vids when they belong to someone else lol, they look cool but actually kind of suck.

I’d recommend just putting together an AR9 pistol that runs off Glock mags, they’re not the unreliable things they used to be, now they run quite well and is what most guys run in competition. 

If you’re even looking at a Tavor, cost probably isn’t an issue, so I’d recommend an MPX if you want something more Gucci.