Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Potentially going back to Single Stack

horhey232

So with ammo costs getting wild I can across a steal of a deal of .45 ACP at .20 a shot and I bought a fair amount. My 1911 hasn't been shot since I got a stage DQ when I had a sear slip mid reload. I was transitioning for one target to another and doing a reload. RO physically saw my finger out of the trigger guard (I usually ride it high where it is pretty much on the slide) and when I slammed my magazine home the sear slipped and the hammer fell. The gun went off into a berm so it wasn't crazy but very embarassing.  Fortunately a friend had the exact same gun (just bone stock) and I was allowed to shoot the rest of the match with his gun (this happened on the first stage of the day!). When I got home I threw the gun in the safe and started shooting Production and slowly ordered replacement parts. So far I have a Stan Chen magwell and EGW Koenig Ultimate Trigger kit and will be having it installed by someone more competent than myself LOL.

The point is I was shooting Limited 10 just because at the time with Wilson 10 rounders because that was what I was carrying through the Police Academy. I now want to use the gun in Single Stack Major and I know that has a 8 round capacity and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on magazines. I am thinking Wilson 47Ds but I am curious if there is some new hotness that is out that I should be aware about.

The best running mags in both my 1911 45s are the Original Wilson ETM 8-round.  Much better than the 47Ds.  Tripp Cobras would not feed in my guns.

Edited by zzt

Got an old Les Baer that feeds from any magazine I put in it, from $7.00 Chip McCormick Shooting Star mags bought at the Del Mar Gun Show in 2002 to Wilson, Ed Brown, or Checkmate. Got a boatload of various manufacturer mags, when shooting Single Stack, I just put eight in the mag sleeves, and go shooting. 

18 hours ago, horhey232 said:

So with ammo costs getting wild I can across a steal of a deal of .45 ACP at .20 a shot and I bought a fair amount. My 1911 hasn't been shot since I got a stage DQ when I had a sear slip mid reload. I was transitioning for one target to another and doing a reload. RO physically saw my finger out of the trigger guard (I usually ride it high where it is pretty much on the slide) and when I slammed my magazine home the sear slipped and the hammer fell. The gun went off into a berm so it wasn't crazy but very embarassing.  Fortunately a friend had the exact same gun (just bone stock) and I was allowed to shoot the rest of the match with his gun (this happened on the first stage of the day!). When I got home I threw the gun in the safe and started shooting Production and slowly ordered replacement parts. So far I have a Stan Chen magwell and EGW Koenig Ultimate Trigger kit and will be having it installed by someone more competent than myself LOL.

The point is I was shooting Limited 10 just because at the time with Wilson 10 rounders because that was what I was carrying through the Police Academy. I now want to use the gun in Single Stack Major and I know that has a 8 round capacity and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on magazines. I am thinking Wilson 47Ds but I am curious if there is some new hotness that is out that I should be aware about.

I had used 47D's for about 15 years. They were getting tired (Wilson had replaced some tubes already) so I ordered an octet of ETM mags and had them dropped shipped to my friends house in Scottsdale. I unpacked them and went to the Western States Single Stack Championship. Zero problems and no issue getting full mags into the gun. The tubes are about 1/8" longer than the 47Ds. They seat much easier than the 47D's. Great choice for a .45 mag.

i haven't found magazines that won't feed in my 45's (both sti trojans). my competition mags are tripp and CMC, and I have some wilsons i use for practice. the tripps are super easy to clean, but the plastic follower needs cleaning whenever it hits the ground in the dust. otoh, the CMC's are a bit harder to clean, but with a metal follower they are much more forgiving of a little dirt.

19 hours ago, motosapiens said:

i haven't found magazines that won't feed in my 45's (both sti trojans). my competition mags are tripp and CMC, and I have some wilsons i use for practice. the tripps are super easy to clean, but the plastic follower needs cleaning whenever it hits the ground in the dust. otoh, the CMC's are a bit harder to clean, but with a metal follower they are much more forgiving of a little dirt.

I have had zero issues with feeding with any mags as long as I run round nose bullets, I did try a small box of semi wad cutters loaded a little too long or short (honestly not sure I just went back to RN bullets) once and that managed to turn the gun into a jamb-o-matic. I can see semi wad cutters being much more finicky with feed lip geometry so a OAL and bullet profile that runs in one mag may not run well in another.  

11 hours ago, konkapot said:

Focusing on the important element here.....who's selling cheap ammo? And do they have more?

I made sure I bought all of it lol. It was from a buddy that had a UMP so he bought a ton of ammo for it. One thing led to another and he ended up selling the UMP and selling me the ammo.

Been awhile since I shot SS in 45, the mags I used when I was were a mixed bag of 47ds, Tripp, and Kimber Pro-Tac. All worked fine. If I were buying all new mags today, I would lean heavily towards the ETM mags. I have heard nothing but stellar reviews about them.

My favorite mags are the Wilson ETMs and ETM Vickers...they are what I use for EDC. For comp and practice I tend to run the 47Ds because they are cheaper. 

Truthfully though, over the years I've run a boat load of CMCs and never had any problems with them.

So to follow up on this thread a buddy of mine who doesn't shoot USPSA wanted my 10 rounders and offered a one for one trade for black Wilson ETM magazines. Now to see if any more pop up for sale. I usually like having 10 mags in my possession (not all on my belt but in case I need to rotate one in). If anyone knows someone off loading any (I will make a separate post in the Classifieds about this) black 8 round Wilson ETM magazines please let me know!

Also I saw someone selling some 8 round Wilson ETM for a compact 1911 and it looks like the only difference is in the basepad? Can someone confirm that if I just switch out baseplates if this will work in a standard 1911?