Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please ease my fears ....X5 legion

ipscjoe

I figured I’d ask a place I trust rather than Facebook.....I saw a post on Facebook with links to others that showed blown guns because of perceived out of battery discharges.  

I’ve loaned my brand new x5 legion to my sister to use (brand new shooter) I’m doing all the reloading etc....I’ve been shooting USPSA since 91 and am Master in open (I know how to load ammo)

Are these guns safe to reload for without going to a Bar-Sto barrel? These posts have got me freaked out.

I checked my barrel with my ammo and it plunks fine.

Im using my PCC load .....124 MG’s over 4.1 gr of VV N320......1.125 oal 

I intend to keep the gun/ trigger stock...currently running the Red spring (12lb I think) and it closes fine...

Not planning to load my brass until it croaks but hoped to get at least 5 or so loads on some “once fired brass” I bought from Ammo-Brass....I bought 10k....

Thanks. 

I have about 10k through my x5 and 2.5k on legion. Never had an issue I load pretty conservatively with a lightened spring. I've never seen any sign of any kind of bulge. I find more brass than I actually bring pretty consistently and don't bother keeping count on loads for pistol or 223. Just Chuck anything with any signs

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

They aren't out of battery discharges. The cases fail because the chamber is not supported well. I cringe whenever one of those facebook boomers who shoots 3 boxes of ammo a year say the p320's fire out of battery. It's not possible with the new disconnector design. 

Don't combine the fastest powder AND CBC, PPU or Tulammo brass and it will be fine. Ive experienced the bulges and a blowout or 2 but its not a big deal to load around.

The most popular 9mm powder where I live is too fast for the x5 when using the cases I mention above. It is AP50 and APS450, highlighted in the powder equivalent attachment below. Use a slower powder or sort your brass to exclude those cases and it is fine. ps I use CBC and PPU brass in 9 major in an STI with no problems.

burning chart.JPG

Edited by dansedgli
Changed Or to AND

Avoid the brass I mentioned or try to get some and test it out. 

Unsure if v320 or AA2 is any slower or faster than what I was using even though it is listed as an equivalent. 

I dont know if the charge weight and projectile weight make a difference or not. I was shooting 123 grain bullets for 132pf. 

Edited by dansedgli

I have over 60k rounds through various legions with no issues. Mixed brass.

That said, I did have a blow out in a regular X5 3 years ago. Not nearly as dramatic as some of the pics I’ve seen. The grip was undamaged, but the extractor blew out.  

I believe the case is not well supported in the factory barrel. FYI.   Try this with your legion.   Push the slide Back about 1/4 hold it there and then try the trigger.  Then Let it move about 1/16 forward hold there are try the trigger again. See if the striker falls. Mine does.   At that point the barrel is up and the slide is touching the hood.   So they will fire when the slide is not fully forward and would this condition be the issue for bulges and case separation?   Just an observation.  Mine blew a case, extractor gone and grip module is now missing a big piece.   Pic shows ( in my opinion ) way to much of case unsupported compared to other 9mm guns I have or have had

D76D4D02-36E9-449C-8BE2-0AC8C1568EB4.jpeg

Unless the barrel is different from the original x5 it shouldn't. The original slide would sometimes stick about 1/16 to1/8 from home and would require a thumb to push it home and wouldn't fire till it was. It would usually happen after first mag was run and replaced. I only have shot steel challenge so mag change was never an issue. Not sure if legion or newer x is different

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk