Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38S or 40S&W

tomjerry1

I'm getting the hankering for another single stack? I am leaning toward a 40S&W because I already have a 40 limited pistol. But, I also shoot open in 38SC, and really enjoy that caliber.

I only shoot SS a couple of times a year, but if I had a pistol that I really enjoyed, it might interrupt my open shooting. Decisions, decisions? What say you all?

Both valid points, wasn't even thinking of the power factor. Was looking on the gun sites at the major manufactures. Thinking that if I bought a 10mm and then replaced the barrel with a 40, it might be the easiest and possibly the least expensive way to go about it. Well, I don't want a 6 inch barrel, a light rail, and would like adjustable rear sites. Not many options out there. Probably end up purchasing a Caspian of Jem setup and going from there.

On 9/1/2020 at 8:29 AM, Bird_Dog0347 said:

.40 makes the most sense for the reasons already listed, but just start a WTB ad in the classifieds here and I'm sure someone will part with a Trojan or something.

That's what I did when I wanted a .40 SS. I think five were offered to me at various prices under and above my budget. I ended up buying two and my wife has claimed one of them as her favorite of all I pistols we own.

@hrhawk might still have his Dan Wesson available.  The others have been sold as far as I can tell. @jessesmith121 sold a really nice kit to @Brian04rs.

edit: @jcc7x7 might still have a .40/10mm dual barrel pistol available.

Edited by belus

On 8/31/2020 at 11:17 PM, tomjerry1 said:

I really like the looks of the DWX, but believe the round is shorter than what I'm using in my limited pistol. I've thought about 9, but will stay with major PF. I missed a Trojan through GB, will keep on lookin.

So what.  Buy the DWX.  It will cost you $20 to have the throat reamed to take your longer Limited ammo.  Do not buy a Trojan.

Here is another option if you don't buy the DWX.  Buy a short block from JEM Guns and specifically tell him you DO NOT want him to leave .001" on the lower lugs for you to fit yourself.  Them get his GS and MSH.  Everything will fit and require no, or minor blending.  Everything else is a cinch.  If you don't want to do it, your local gunsmith can for a reasonable amount.  I'll note that absolutely nothing I've bought from JEM has been off in any way.  Geez, in every receiver or frame an EGW hammer/trigger kit has dropped straight in and worked.  Of course, I'm anal so I still polished everything up to mirror finish.  Actually, the disconnector from EGW may need the ball head reduced slightly to fit in the channel.

I've been shooting Super for years now in IPSC Classic. It ends up handling like a REALLY reliable 9mm 1911. I'd recommend it if you're at a range where you CAN get your brass. If you've got tall grass, stick with 40.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 6:10 PM, Silent said:

.40 if you can find a good one to buy. Or just get a 9mm and shoot minor

I'd get a Springfield in 10mm then swap out the barrel for .40.  Purchased a SA Operator recently and was very surprised by the factory slide/frame fit and overall quality.  9 minor is also great in a 1911/2011.  I have both and they're probably the most enjoyable to shoot of all the handguns I own.