Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 - Primers keep dropping out of the exit hole and not feeding to the shell plate

I have a s1050 that I recently bought from a fellow shooter.

The press is about 10 years old and had been setup for 45acp.

I converted everything over to small pistol and I have everything working fine except for the priming system.

I load a tube of primers, and when I start to run the machine, for every one primer I get to actually feed properly 2 to 3 more drop out of the hole on the bottom of the primer system.

I have sanded and polished the primer slide (20317) and the channel where that part moves. It moves freely without being bound. I have made sure that the part 11003 is behind the roller to allow the primer shuttle to move with the springs action.

I feel like I have everything adjust properly but obviously I do not as the slide is moving too far back and allowing primers to drop in the oblong hole and drop out of the press.

YES< I did change out the inner tube to the small primer tube and it is seated all the way down. It does not touch the slide and is about a primers height above the slide.

image.png.fec4c0db70cb308f2bc17ff93170977f.png

should I order new springs to put this back in spec/

image.png.a39d9d358f5f21263749c591690b2353.png

I am really lost as what to do to get the press up and running properly. 

any suggestions would be very welcomed.

Mark

It's probably the blue tip at the bottom of the primer tube. It's a consumable part that needs replaced every so often.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

It is a brand new tip that came from dillon

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Or take the brass tip from a 650 primer magazine and never have that problem again.  When you tighten the knurled knob at the top, get it barely finger tight, don't bare down on it.  And make sure the half round primer slide stop is tight and properly oriented.  Unfortunately, I've had lots of practice messing with that part of my 1050, but I feel like I know what I'm doing now.  

Or take the brass tip from a 650 primer magazine and never have that problem again.  When you tighten the knurled knob at the top, get it barely finger tight, don't bare down on it.  And make sure the half round primer slide stop is tight and properly oriented.  Unfortunately, I've had lots of practice messing with that part of my 1050, but I feel like I know what I'm doing now.  
This is how you blow the whole primer stack.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

this is the primer slider. When I put a primer in the round hole and move it forward the primer is dropping out the bottom hole in the press when I move the slide towards the shell plate. 

Pretty sure that is not supposed to happen.

this is the new slide that Dillon sent me.

20200830_182531.jpg

Edited by mstamper

1 minute ago, s2000red said:

Are you sure that is not a primer slide for large pistol primers?

I ordered the small primer kit. The pin to seat the primers is the same diameter as the small primers and just fits inside the smaller opening of the slide. the slide for the large primer was black and this one is silver. 

not sure how else to check. How deep should the primers go in the hole in the slide? Should they be flush with the top of the slide? Maybe Dillon machined the hole to large? Unfortunately I just sold and shipped out the old parts to a guy in FL. so I do not have them to compare against.

I don't have a proper way to measure but holding calipers at the holes, on my 1050 small primer slide I get a top hole diameter of about .210 and a bottom hole diameter of about .195.  Again, just rough measurements. 

The primer should sit on the "ledge" in the hole and be pretty flush with the top of the slide.

Edited by s2000red

It looks like your primer slide stop has been shimmed. 

try to look down the primer tube with it empty and see if the primer slide primer hole lines up with the tube with the slide all the way back. 

Edited by dansedgli

11 minutes ago, s2000red said:

I don't have a proper way to measure but holding calipers at the holes, on my 1050 small primer slide I get a top hole diameter of about .210 and a bottom hole diameter of about .195.  Again, just rough measurements. 

The primer should sit on the "ledge" in the hole and be pretty flush with the top of the slide.

the primer hole DEFINITELY does not let the primer sit on the "ledge". Guess I will be calling Dillon in the morning to have them ship me a new one. They had one job to do, just pack the right parts in the right bag marked small primer. SMH

Just to update everyone. I want to thank you all for your assistance.

With some help from my friends on FB as well we determined that Dillon packed the wrong primer slide. I got a large primer slide packed in a small primer package.

I called Dillon today and they issued an RMA and are shipping me the new one along with a mailer label to send the wrong one back to them. 

I hope to have the new part within a few days.

I can tell you from the pics, that press probably wouldn't run, even with the correct primer slide.  You gotta keep them cleaner than that, especially around the primer area.  
Damn, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

On 8/30/2020 at 5:12 PM, RangerTrace said:

This works well