Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using Lucas Speed Wax after a complete mag disassembly/cleaning, when reassembling, has made a huge difference. Apply like a car wax on the mags, and it helps keep dirt away, and mags cleaner, longer

36 minutes ago, Powder Finger said:

oh boy, now we're going to have wax wars just like oil/grease :)

🤣

Thanks for the tip. Anything I can do around here to keep the dirt away is a plus. Need major anti-static on everything. 

• 3 months later...

Interesting, never thought of that.... We had a set of STI Gen 1 magazine, 6 total, that were used for 2 years, probably 15K rounds, never had them apart, they just ran. Sometimes you get lucky I guess, but the surface we drop in is usually gravel, grass, some hard packed dirt. I could see sand, dry dusty dirt, causing more maintenance for sure. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/31/2020 at 7:19 PM, Malarky112 said:

Do you put it inside the mag bodies as well?

yes.. spray in the mag bodies, use mag brush, and then wipe clean with a "wet" microfiber, and let air dry completely

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just trying to remeber the last time I took apart and cleaned mags at all? Either 2011, 1911, or P320. My usual method is bang against hard surface and wipe the outside. 

One of the guys on the CZ Forum suggested waxing mags to me a couple years ago.  

I carry all the time outside the house.  My pistol, holster, mag pouch and mags get dirt, sweat, rain, sawdust, pollen, water/crud splash from high pressure washing, etc., etc., etc. on them on a regular basis.  The pistols get field stripped cleaned/lubed and reloaded.  Holsters/gear get wiped off/out and hung up to dry.  The mags - used to unload them, wipe them off with the same oily cloth used to wipe down the pistol parts and every so often as I unloaded them I'd notice that gritty/grating sound that told me crud was building up inside the magazine.

He suggested wax.  I've used Nufinish mostly.  Strip the mag of spring, base and follower.  The strip all the old lube and crud off of and out of it (alcohol and cotton balls).  Then two coats of wax like you'd wax your car/truck.  The mags, load easier/smoother.  As you unload them you don't notice the drag/catching/jumping of cartridges as the move upwards.  The dirt/crud don't stick to the outside or inside like it did before waxing.  So I can just take a dry paper towel and wipe the outside of the magazine down and it looks like I just wiped down an unwaxed blued magazine with that oily cloth.

I'm slowly working my way through the pistol mags. to get them all waxed.