Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet gr preference?

mpmo

Haven’t tried any 100gr rounds yet. Shooting Berry’s RN 115 right now, with N320 at 105pf. For those of you that shoot lighter bullets, why do they work better for you?

Also, any reason to use a different powder?

I've been shooting PCC for about a year now and have tried most of the combinations.  105gr are super soft, but not very accurate in my gun.  The work great in one of my pistols.  I've also tried 115s, 124s, 135, 147s and 150s, plus a variety of powders.

What works for you depends on what you are shooting them in.  My 1911 Open gun likes 124s at 140 PF.  My USPSA open gun shoots 115s at 169 PF.  My PCC bolt, buffer, spring setup prefers 147s for least dot bounce.  My XD9 4" likes lighter bullets.  I've been shooting up the 105s in that.

For anything other than an Open gun, I've found faster powders to be better.  For minor PF I like Alliant e3 the best.  Anything slower than Sport Pistol, N320, Solo 1000 is a waste of time, assuming that's not all you have.

• 1 month later...

I shoot 100gr Berry's in my PCCO with a 16" BSF Barrel. 105pf  I just got a Wiland barrel to build a PCCI rifle, and with the 6" barrel, I chrono'd at 95pf, and gun ran fine.

Forgot to mention, I use 2.9grn of Clays

Edited by UFO

For SC  I shoot 71pf with 95gr Montana Gold  in a 5" Wiland barrel  ( Ruger PCC ).  100% reliable.  Super Soft.  Does exhibit some sooting blow back on case, but as long as I clean after 600 rounds or so all is good.    Plenty accurate at 35 yards.