Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trojan feeding problems

konkapot

.40 caliber Trojan. New to me. Runs 100% with my reloaded ammo. Makes about 167pf, OAL is 115. Runs great with all magazines. 12lb recoil spring. 

With factory duty ammo at bout 185PF, there are feeding problems. Extraction is fine, ejection is fine, but the next round is jumping in FRONT of the extractor. Does this 5 times per 100 rounds with various mags. 

My theory is that the increased recoil from the stouter ammo is causing this, but I would welcome better theories. 

Reread Original post. what do you mean by this?

4 hours ago, konkapot said:

... but the next round is jumping in FRONT of the extractor.

What is the end result? Stove piped round? Is the round nose diving into the ramp?  a picture would be helpful.  Or a better description.

Edited by jwhittin

Are you using 40 or 10mm magazines ? If the former, you are getting close to max OAL for spacer plate mags.
You have just discovered why 40 1911's have never been a big seller. They tend to not run so well on factory length hollow points.
Try a different brand magazine. Mine would feed factory ball American eagle with metalform,, but not Tripp.  I went to 10mm mags and long loads though (1.180) that would work in my other 40's.
Pretty much why I havent bought a Ruger PCC 40, as all my ammo is long loaded.

End result is the back of the casing is in direct contact with the front of the extractor. The front of the round is being pressed against the barrel; couldn't get a super clear look at it, but it looked like the nose was pressed against the ramp, or just inside the chamber. 

I've always heard about Trojans and problems with factory ammo/hollowpoints but never experienced it with any previous Trojan. 

Mags are Tripp 10mm mags. 

Pics would have been ideal, but my  phone was 100+ yds away, and I was running out of time. Switched to my reloaded ammo and finished the session. 

Pete i think factory is 14 but will double check. Too light a spring has the slide coming back faster and returning slower. In my "brain" that shouldn't be causing this...?

Saw this thread after I replied to your PM.  What this sounds like is the wide meplat is hitting the feed ramp, stopping the feed.  Then the slide rebounds back a tad from the shock.  The back of the case continues to rise as the slide rebounds.  Then the slide closes again, but the case is too high at that point to slip under the extractor.  A heavier recoil spring is still necessary if you continue to shoot 185+ PF, but it will not cure your problem.

Tripp mags are designed to work with GI standard mag catches.  The 10-round mags are heavier when fully loaded and drop a tiny bit more.  The only way to solve this particular problem is to install a mag catch with a .010" or .020" higher shelf.  Several people make the +.020" catches.  I can't recall at the moment who makes the + .010".  It might be Dawson.

7 hours ago, konkapot said:

Pete i think factory is 14 but will double check. Too light a spring has the slide coming back faster and returning slower. In my "brain" that shouldn't be causing this...?

My Trojan 40 was an 18# spring from the factory.

Surprisingly enough it did not. Went up to a 14lb spring.

In the middle picture it LOOKED like the extractor was too tight, but in other cases I (again) have a live round wedged in FRONT of the extractor. 

Ammo is factory hollowpoint ammo. Does not appear to be a bullet profile issue. 

B82A6630-939D-4260-B66E-C1F844FCA3E5.jpeg

7F0B9BC4-39DE-4177-A620-825073E187F9.jpeg

3A1F37E9-DB0D-4676-A185-8C58824A1C56.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to say without seeing it in person, but my guess is it's a combination extractor and feed ramp/magazine/mag catch issues.  First, I would stick with the 14 lb spring for 185 pf, at least until you get it running.  Second, I would check the extractor hook and tension to see if those are correct (even if new, still needs to be tuned).  Third, I would check the barrel ramp profile, which also factors in your magazine tuning and mag catch.  On the third point, I use the Dawson mag catch with higher shelf for all my 9s and 40s and never have any problems.  Also, before you start altering anything like ramp profile, try running some other factory ammo with similar pf and see if that works.  Gold dots cause problems with lots of guns.

My last post was light on details. "New" extractor was working great in a limited gun. Was installed onto this gun and has passed all the usual tests. I triple checked the extractor hook; no obvious burrs but hit it quickly with some Flitz. Also hit the feed ramp with a felt wheel and some Flitz. Looked for but could not see any definitive impact point on the ramp. 

New mags came today; will be testing tomorrow. Also trying some different factory ammo that is NOT Gold Dot. I did have some problems with my Blue Bullet reloads early on, so switching ammo is not likely to dramatically improve anything. 

I was pretty sure that it was Dawson who made that mag catch but didn't see anything on his site. If the problem continues I'll give them a call

I had a similar issue with my Trojan and some Tripp 9 round 10mm mags. The 8 and 9th round would nose dive.  I install a higher mag catch from EGW  which helped . But it was after I tweeted the tripp followers did it become 100%. This may have been the first time one of my experiments worked and I didn't ruin something .