Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

750 High primer ratio

This is totally unacceptable. 
I have played with the plate, done every thing I can and this is the the average high primer ratio. 
I am getting really pissed off at having to do this many out of 100 rounds. 
My 650 was 1 or 2 out of 100, which I chalk up to mixed brass range pickups. 

Anyone having this issue too? 

high_primers.jpg

I did for a good while.  Then the crank on my 550 broke.  Dillon sent a new one and my high primers have gone away.  I figure the part was cracked and flexing long before it broke in half.  

How high does your primer punch protrude without a case over it?

I may have jumped the gun on this..... no pun intended 

Out of curiosity, I grabbed some Federal primers (have been using nothing but CCI since getting the 750) and guess what. 
3 high primers and all were WCC brass. 

I will run another 100 to see if it is the case...again no pun intended. 😄 

I am willing to bet its the F'n primers! 

I've run cci exclusively and have never run into this. I may have lucked out and never come upon crimped pistol pockets. I hit them a lot on 223 and high is never an issue if Im moving to fast I may get one that goes in crooked and crushes but never high

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Your problem is that the CCI primers are slightly larger in diameter than other brands. They are still within tolerances, just larger.  Learned this long ago when I used to hand prime all my reloads.  The CCI were always harder to get in the pockets and almost impossible in Mil cases.  I use CCIs on some batches of brass when regular primers start going in a little too easy. I found CCI primers have just a bit more friction and lets me continue to use the brass.

Since the 750 is manually primed by you pushing the handle on the return stroke you should feel the resistance and know if the primer is fully seated by the feel and distance of the return stoke. Been running a 650 since 1995 and I know the primers are seated fully by how far I push the handle forward on the return stoke and can feel when the primer seats in the bottom of the pocket.

• 3 months later...
On 8/29/2020 at 10:06 AM, Intel6 said:

Your problem is that the CCI primers are slightly larger in diameter than other brands. They are still within tolerances, just larger.  Learned this long ago when I used to hand prime all my reloads.  The CCI were always harder to get in the pockets and almost impossible in Mil cases.  I use CCIs on some batches of brass when regular primers start going in a little too easy. I found CCI primers have just a bit more friction and lets me continue to use the brass.

Since the 750 is manually primed by you pushing the handle on the return stroke you should feel the resistance and know if the primer is fully seated by the feel and distance of the return stoke. Been running a 650 since 1995 and I know the primers are seated fully by how far I push the handle forward on the return stoke and can feel when the primer seats in the bottom of the pocket.

Long time for a response, but you are correct. 

Using CCI, it is pretty bad like the pic above. 

Federal is about 1 out of 100 that are not seated properly

I have not used enough Winchester to figure it out, but I just found 5K of them to give a go. 

Good Lord! Thousands of people use 650 and 750 without your problems. Even you admitted the military (crimped) cases are your issue. As you said you just dump range brass into your press and go. That will not work. At the very least you have to get the crimped brass sorted and either fixed or eliminated. No magic is going to change that.

If you want to consistently make good reloads you have to invest some time and thought into it. For instance, I make 50-70,000 rounds per year on a 650 and two 1050's. I use CCI primers in preference to others. Just guessing 80% of my reloads are CCI primers. I never have a high primer. Why? Because I sort brass including eliminating military brass. I could use it on 1050's but I don't. I would never expect it to work in a 650 or 750. They are not designed to decrimp brass. You're expecting a freaking miracle. There are none.

Can you cramp Federal primers into a crimped case? Not reliably although it might work more often than some other primer.

All of this is your fault actually by your own admission. But Ill help you. Send me all your CCI primers and if unopened I'll pay you a fair price for them.

5 hours ago, Brooke said:

Good Lord! Thousands of people use 650 and 750 without your problems. Even you admitted the military (crimped) cases are your issue. As you said you just dump range brass into your press and go. That will not work. At the very least you have to get the crimped brass sorted and either fixed or eliminated. No magic is going to change that.

If you want to consistently make good reloads you have to invest some time and thought into it. For instance, I make 50-70,000 rounds per year on a 650 and two 1050's. I use CCI primers in preference to others. Just guessing 80% of my reloads are CCI primers. I never have a high primer. Why? Because I sort brass including eliminating military brass. I could use it on 1050's but I don't. I would never expect it to work in a 650 or 750. They are not designed to decrimp brass. You're expecting a freaking miracle. There are none.

Can you cramp Federal primers into a crimped case? Not reliably although it might work more often than some other primer.

All of this is your fault actually by your own admission. But Ill help you. Send me all your CCI primers and if unopened I'll pay you a fair price for them.

Brooke you are like a breath of fresh air. And I love it👍👏

Just a thought, but how old are your CCI's ?  At one time they wernt so good with a Dillon 550. Dont know if it was a diameter or being out of round but they would hang in the loading tubes.

ALthough this was probably around 97 ish when I bought my Dillon from a local dealer... (we had stores back in those days you had to drive too) I bought a brick of CCI's and had lots of problems in the tubes,,, went back to store and the owner was there and just handed me a box of Winchester and apologized for his employee giving me CCI.

Now it seems Quality is reversed. CCI's I have perchased in last decade have all been fine.  ALthough they still seem harder than my older winchesters...... NEW winchesters I have purchased in last couple years I have been less than impressed with.
My most recent box of WLP have had alot of defective primers.

like 1 or 2 bad in every 100.  Luckily I can visually and dont recall any issues with loaded ammo.
Problems are,,,, an occasional small pistol primer in the box of 100,  Primer with no priming compound, and an either occasional out of round or oversize that jams inside the pick up tube...  I think I only have a few K left of these but be glad when they are gone.

I dont know about the prime tool on your press but on a 550, I can feel if i have a crimped primer, I keep a Lyman hand reamer next to my press, can feel the crimp, stop, pull brass ream continue on.

I can also feel when the primer is fully seated.  Although, as I have moved away from a huge military area I dont get near the crimped primers I used to. My current bane is small primer 45 acp,,, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• 1 month later...

When I was having high primer issues on my 1050... I found a warped shell plate was the reason. Replaced the plate and no more problems. Only thing worse that a reloaded that won’t run is a gun that won’t run!

I have found on the 750, that the priming cup gets crap build up inside along the pin that it sets on, preventing it from fully returning up.  You can tell this by watching to see if your primer coming out of the tube sits really high on the carrier.  Take the primer cup out, losen the set screw and remove the carrier cup and clean the pin.  That will help. 

It’s my understanding that it’s not doing every bullet, but a consistent % of them. I would still say wrapped plate... which would be a consistent number as the plate goes around and around...