Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI changed Trojan roll markings when?

lfine

Came across a Trojan 9mm for sale and have seen some others around. Some have a large “Trojan” centered on the slide and some smaller one closer to the rear. Can anyone tell me when they made the change from one to another? Any differences other than that? Thanks. 

Found one review/mention from 2010 and another from 2011 with the large rollmark, but a 2014 with the small so it looks like TheSandman probably nailed it at around 2012 from my google fu.  Don't see anything yet about any changes, though.  

One of the later changes was that they started cutting the slides for LPA adjustable rear sights instead of the Bomar sights. Not any less functional, just different. I’d still recommend any Trojan if someone was interested in a 1911 in 9mm or .40. , regardless of vintage. Solid guns. 

On 8/27/2020 at 9:55 PM, TheSandMan491 said:

I think they went to the small rollmark around 2012

+1. 

Honestly, while maybe not as aesthetically pleasing, the “big Trojan” ones were being made when STI’s catalog and output was smaller and while they offered fewer different models in their line... so maybe it could be argued that the “big logo” ones got more TLC than the later “small logo” ones?
IDK, but I’ve had 2 “big logo” ones that were awesome and I never should have sold... and I replaced them as soon as I could, and now own 2 “small logo” ones that are awesome too that I’ll never sell. I’ve had and handled more expensive 1911’s, but none really better.

Any STI with larger roll marks is superior to the smaller ones. They actually spent more with fitment then and used better parts on some. I’ve owned all types and the larger roll mark guns were better and hold higher value to those who know. This doesn’t mean the smaller roller mark newer guns are bad. Just different times and different measures. 

I have a few large rollmark STI 1911's and newer small rollmark 1911's in the safe....the older guns generally enjoy a tighter frame to slide fit and the recoil lugs on the barrels have  better contact with the VIS. They all seem to shoot with about the same level of accuracy and are very reliable. It is a real pity that STI ceased 1911 production.Thank the heavens for JEM.

19 hours ago, Service Desk said:

It is a real pity that STI ceased 1911 production.

I totally agree, for a shooter, the good ones IMHO are are/were some of the best 1911's made, and not just "for the money".

I was out shooting one of my Trojans yesterday with a buddy who was having his first time out with a new-to-him older low round count DW PM9... While the PM9's are great guns too, it just didn't feel "right" to me... then it occurred to me that no other 1911's really feel as "right" as my STI's and I think it's something to do with how the older STI 1911's have their trigger-guards undercut. Lots of 1911's advertise as featuring an "undercut trigger-guard" but IMO the STI 1911 undercut is really the only one that was actually/truly undercut where the frame and trigger-guard is relieved/scooped out. Been shooting them long enough now that other 1911's without that feel strange...

Picked my 9mm Trojan up - looked like it never saw the light of day.  Came with everything seen (one STI mag and an extra that was a Kimber) and the old red manual that was untouched.  Nothing, however, with a date, but it looks like we've narrowed that down in this thread. Maybe I can look up the serial sometime.

Just got back from the range after using it for the first time and was very happy with it and amazed at how little recoil I felt.  Then I used my Kimber Custom II (alloy) .45 for a bit and went back to my (heavier) 9mm Trojan. Now it was like shooting a .22.  (Not exactly true, but darn close.) Very happy with everything except....the plain black front sight. Time to make a call to Dawson. Anyone picked up and changed out their front sight on one that wants to share their two cents? Appreciate it. Thanks.  

IMG_4126.jpeg

Anyone picked up and changed out their front sight on one that wants to share their two cents? Appreciate it. Thanks.

I changed mine out following Dave Dawson’s YouTube video on the subject. It did take some pounding to get it to move. I’ve got a pusher now but I’m not sure how much easier it would make the process. I did not have to file any off of my new Dawson FO sight.

3 hours ago, lfine said:

Picked my 9mm Trojan up - looked like it never saw the light of day.

That's the third variation of Trojan roll mark I've seen.

I thought the horse was earliest, and I guess the small lettering is most recent. This would be in the middle?

14 hours ago, belus said:

I thought the horse was earliest, and I guess the small lettering is most recent. This would be in the middle?

This sounds correct.  My Trojan from 2008 has the horse and large lettering.

On 9/5/2020 at 8:25 PM, belus said:

+1. I have a horse head one and a small lettering one, and both are awesome

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I picked up my Trojan. 

it is one with the big rollmark and horsey. 

It was supposed to become my backup gun to my Springer RO Elite for Classic Divison IPSC, but man.... 

This gun is really smooth! It has a great trigger job, and the bushing is still really tight. 

Even though it's an old lady, it is clear that it has not been shot a lot. 

Really happy with this one. 

I was able to join the IPSC training of the previous owner and his buddies yesterday. 

Shot 200 rounds through it with my Dawson mags and it did not have one single hickup...

STI Trojan.jpg

• 1 month later...

I will add, I've had two large rollmark trojans (45 and 40) and currently have two horse head trojans (9mm and 45.)

The 9mm is serial TS65xx, with serial on the ejection port side of the frame.  The 45 is serial TS33xx with serial on slide-catch side of frame.

The earlier gun has a much better finish (it's slick and thicker "bluing") than on the later gun, which is more like the large rollmark non-horse head guns I've had.  My later gun also has more machining marks, like roughness in the slide serrations that the earlier gun lacks.    

The earlier gun also has an STI recoil-master, which per prior owner was factory equipment.  So, there's that.

So even within the horse-head models, the earlier ones had more effort put into their manufacture based on finish and machining detail...not that my TS65xx gun is sloppy.

On 10/11/2020 at 9:58 AM, WFargo said:

Yesterday I picked up my Trojan. 

it is one with the big rollmark and horsey. 

It was supposed to become my backup gun to my Springer RO Elite for Classic Divison IPSC, but man.... 

This gun is really smooth! It has a great trigger job, and the bushing is still really tight. 

Even though it's an old lady, it is clear that it has not been shot a lot. 

Really happy with this one. 

I was able to join the IPSC training of the previous owner and his buddies yesterday. 

Shot 200 rounds through it with my Dawson mags and it did not have one single hickup...

STI Trojan.jpg

That is beautiful!