Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sport Pistol Accuracy Issues

SGC

I recently ran out of the last of my Prima V stash and bought some Sport Pistol to replace it due to the many good reviews I've seen on it.  I used the same BBI 125 TC and 1.110 OAL that I used with the Prima V and worked up a load with the chrono settling on 3.8 grains which gave me 130 power factor out of a Stock 2.  Feel is basically identical to my previous load and both have an SD around 10 fps.  

However, when I shot them for groups I'm getting consistently poor accuracy compared to Prima V at the exact same velocity.  I was only shooting at 7 yards but shooting the 2 loads back to back the Prima V loads were in 1 large ragged hole and the Sport Pistol would open up to around 2 inches.  I thought it was me at first but I shot 6 groups alternating between the two loads and the results were consistent.  

Has anyone else had a similar problem with Sport Pistol or other powder having reduced accuracy?  Was there anything that you did that was able to improve the performance without having to switch components?  My next thoughts are to try different OALs to see if that will improve as maybe I just got lucky with my initial Prima V load.  Or try upping the powder charge a little and see if it improves at a higher velocity.  I'm curious what others experience has been so I don't waste trips to the range chasing my tail adjusting something that will likely have no impact on the performance.  

I’d bump up a little bit and see what happens. I can’t remember which powder I had these issues with in the past but Sport Pistol is the next 8lbs I have on hand when my Solo runs out.

Very curious about your load.

33 minutes ago, lll Otto lll said:

I don't see how you could determine the accuracy of a load shooting at 7yds.

I agree, when I went to the range my intention was not to test for accuracy until I start noticing I wasn't shooting as accurately as normal.  Shot some of my old load to ensure it wasn't me and I was able to consistently get groups half the size with Prima V compared to Sport Pistol.  If I'm seeing that big of difference at 7 yards I would assume the difference will only be more pronounced at 20 or 25 yards which would be a better test.   

21 minutes ago, Sethdaniel05 said:

Sport pistol is accurate for me. Glock 17 gen5, 135 Blues.

1” groups at 10 yards no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s your OAL, charge weight? I shoot 135s in 9mm, 230 in .45

I'm shooting Blue Bullet 147's over 3.2 grains of SP in my TP9SFx, and it's more accurate than I am.  I'm fixing to try some 135's and I'm surprised to hear Seth's load makes 135 PF with that load.  Most other suggestions I've seen are for about 3.5-3.6 for 130+ PF.  Must have a good, fast barrel in that pistol!  

I'm shooting Blue Bullet 147's over 3.2 grains of SP in my TP9SFx, and it's more accurate than I am.  I'm fixing to try some 135's and I'm surprised to hear Seth's load makes 135 PF with that load.  Most other suggestions I've seen are for about 3.5-3.6 for 130+ PF.  Must have a good, fast barrel in that pistol!  

I’ll hit a chrono on Friday and confirm. I believe I’m averaging right at 1k FPS. Using a stock Gen5 barrel.

3.6 grains 135 James FP Tanfoglio S2 130+ PF 25 yards inside 3” group from hand held freestyle. Same load from cheap PCC, Keltec, even more accurate.  With 147 PD RNFMJ 3.4 grains accurate, ACME FP 147 3.3 grains  same.

After 10lbs of the powder no issues in all my guns. 

Just as accurate as TG. 

I did some load development with several powders including Sport Pistol to develop an NRA Action Pistol load. I tried a few different bullets too. All were 20 shot groups at 25 yards from a rest so that i had a statistically significant sample. Sport Pistol had good groups with some bullet profiles and some horrible groups with others. Overall Sport Pistol had the second best group. I went with the best group, however, using Clays. I went through an identical process for a USPSA load different caliber, different bullets and same variety of powders (20 shot groups at 25 yards from a rest). In that case the Sport Pistol load was most accurate with a certain bullet.
I just think you need to experiment more. It may be that that bullet doesn’t like Sport Pistol, or you might need to increase or decrease the crimp. Or try a different primer. But i can say that Sport Pistol is capable of excellent accuracy.
And of course if you’re looking for excellent accuracy be sure to only use brass with the same headstamp, otherwise all your data will be inconsistent because combustion and pressure rate will change based on the internal capacity of each different headstamp of brass.

I’m using 3.4gr Sport Pistol + Blue .356 135gr TC at 1.115 OAL, just enough crimp so rounds drop into the Hundo = 130-133pf out of a Shadow 2, 50cent-piece sized groups at 25yrds if I do my part.

Edited by ck1

Allow me to correct my load data. I must have looked at the wrong notes for my last post.

I’m running 3.5gr of Sport Pistol, 135 TC Blue Bullets, 1.125 OAL, Federal Primer

Gen5 17 factory barrel

10 shot average measured on a Caldwell today was 964FPS. 130PF

Allow me to correct my load data. I must have looked at the wrong notes for my last post.

I’m running 3.5gr of Sport Pistol, 135 TC Blue Bullets, 1.125 OAL, Federal Primer

Gen5 17 factory barrel

10 shot average measured on a Caldwell today was 964FPS. 130PF

LabRadar Chrono today at a match hit 1035, 972. I think the first one must have been inaccurate. That would have been 140PF... or I’ve got some heavy powder drops at some point.

No other rounds I fired today felt odd and didn’t have any inaccuracy.

while you may be using the same gun, bullet, primer, oal and crimp you changed powder. you can not reasonably expect the same results.

you will have to start all over again and find the charge, oal and crimp that now create the accuracy you want with the new powder.

even when just switching one of the pieces of making a complete round, like yourself, i often have to make significant changes to the other variables to yield similar results from dissimilar components.

On 8/26/2020 at 3:13 PM, Ben53 said:

I had to go up to around 3.6gr of Sport Pistol with SNS 135gr RN to get the PF past 130 in my Shadow 2. I just barely made minor PF in the S2 with 3.4gr, and my backup gun (SP-01) went sub-minor with that load.

Slowhands, that's about where I would expect it to be.  From what I've gleaned on line, 3.5-3.6 is the right range for that 130 PF w/Sport Pistol, so thanks for confirming.  I'm shooting a 5+" barrel and that will help, and I'm sure Blue Bullets would give much the same performance as the SNS offerings.

1 hour ago, Ben53 said:

..........and I'm sure Blue Bullets would give much the same performance as the SNS offerings.

FWIW:

Blue Bullets are generally a little faster in the same weight with the same charge.

About halfway through 8 lbs of Sports Pistol with no accuracy or any other problems.  Two different coated bullet manufactures and three different bullet designs...145 and 147 grain.  Just destroyed a 1 inch orange dot with 10 shots at 15 yards this past week....now if I could just do that without a rest.

Edited by Batmo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/4/2020 at 8:09 PM, Batmo said:

About halfway through 8 lbs of Sports Pistol with no accuracy or any other problems.  Two different coated bullet manufactures and three different bullet designs...145 and 147 grain.  Just destroyed a 1 inch orange dot with 10 shots at 15 yards this past week....now if I could just do that without a rest.

I'm working up loads for DG 147 FP with Sport Pistol. Curious as to your load data. Looking for a starting point.