Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stroking a tactical sport slide

Superkaratemonkeyfighter

Lately I’ve been thinking about getting as much stroke out of my tactical sport as I can.

I’d like to keep it simple and just mill the dust cover back. Thanks to kneelingatlas for that leg work. 

But it looks like I could only go back .200 or so until the barrel and guide rod start to impact. 

Any thoughts or experience in this. 

Gun is .40 major limited 

Edited by Superkaratemonkeyfighter

Ideally to give the recoil spring a little more room to ease that crash at the end of the stroke If it’s possible.  

Or to give room for the option of a buffer. 

Ive been doing some slow motion recoil videos and even the thin buffer reduces the stroke and adds a jump to the end of the recoil stroke. 

On 8/26/2020 at 9:43 AM, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

Any thoughts or experience in this. 

Gun is .40 major limited 

I'd see if you could try someone's gun before you do this.  There are several things to consider.  First, you are essentially LONG stroking the gun.  That slows the action down and the gun does not return to battery as quickly.  So your splits will be a tad slower.  Second, if you play with recoil springs so the slide does not quite reach the end of its stroke, why bother in the first place.  Third, the gun will feel different under recoil.  Some people hate it.

When I shot Limited with my TS I wanted the sights to come back as quickly as possible.  I started shooting 180s because that's what everyone else was shooting.  I went to 165 because the sights came back faster.  That particular gun didn't like 155s, so I stuck with 165s.  Think about this.  If you can get your splits .1 second faster, that is 1.6 seconds faster on a long stage.  Multiply that by 5 or 6 stages and you have a huge difference.

If you are having trouble with recoil and/or you have a weak grip, go ahead and stroke it.  If not, I wouldn't.

I just had two other thoughts.  I did a grip reduction on my TS.  I removed the checkering, undercut the trigger guard and deepened the beavertail.  As a result, I was higher on the gun and more in line with the bore.  That and the switch to 165s definitely improved my times.

If you cannot find someone with a stroked TS, you can simulate (in spades) the effect with a 9mm PCC.  If your buffer does not bottom at the end of the stroke, action will be slow.  You will literally be waiting for the trigger to reset so you can fire again.  As you go up in power things more faster.  If you short stroke it by placing a 3/4" spacer in front of the buffer, you increase felt recoil, but you can fire the second shot faster.  Decrease the stroke by another 1/4" and the gun will be back in battery before you can pull the trigger, regardless of how fast your finger is.  This is done to improve splits, even though it hits your shoulder harder.  What you are considering does the opposite.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

That slows the action down and the gun does not return to battery as quickly.  So your splits will be a tad slower. 

If you can get your splits .1 second faster, that is 1.6 seconds faster on a long stage.  Multiply that by 5 or 6 stages and you have a huge difference.

Cycle times on pistol slides are <0.1 second, probably closer to .05, adding 0.2" to a gun that already has a 2.0" stroke is only going to increase that time by one or two hundredths, so unless you are consistently shooting .10 splits or faster then stroking a slide won't put you close to the mechanical limit of split times. It might feel different, and that might slow you down a little bit while you get used to the change, but long term it should not have any impact. 

4 hours ago, regor said:

It might feel different, and that might slow you down a little bit while you get used to the change, but long term it should not have any impact.

It not only feels different, it is different, and slower.  BTW, cycle times are slower than the .05 you are suggesting, except possibly for full race guns with lightened slides.  Record cycling in super slomo and count frames.

Edited by zzt

• 5 weeks later...

CZs are kinda sorta stroked from the factory in the sense they all come with buffers.  just remove the buffer, that gets you about 1/8 inch more travel.  for a shadow 2, personally I just keep in the buffer.  for a TSO, I've never known anybody to use it, 40 destroys it in about 200 rounds. 

TSO no buffer, kinda stroked.  going beyond this - what will this gain you?  if you think there will be no "bottom out" that's not true.  it will simply go further back and then bottom out.  if its slide to frame, or slide only stopping on the spring, or whatever possible scenario, a 40 SW is going to rocket that slide back and its going to come to a slam-stop on "something". your gun will bottom out at the end of the recoil, stroking doesn't solve that.  

Stroking will change the feel of recoil, timing, and change or aid in feeding and ejection.  If you want to stroke your TSO for recoil management reasons you are wasting your time. you would be better off tuning custom 40 loads (have you tried 200 grain 40?  its AMAZING) and if necessary mounting a thumb rest.  if not stock, I recommend Fire4Effect large.