Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115 9MM FMJ, which powder. I have..

ysrracer

I can't stand Titegroup.  Clays is too spikey.  231 is dirty and produces more recoil that necessary.  Don't really know why.  WST and AA5 are good.  If you run out of them, e3 is a really good alternative.

I know it's not the softest shooting powder and it's not one you mentioned... but my Beretta 92G sure likes BE-86!

Fifteen shots at 30 feet.

Bullet:  Hornady 115 gr. FMJ

Powder:  BE-86 5.0 grs.

Primer:  Winchester Small Pistol

Case:  Fiocchi 

OAL:  1.115

IMG_2082.JPG

Edited by pbcaster45
spelling

@pbcaster45 at just thirty feet, a gun should be stacking them on top of each other with a load that it likes. That large 3 inch group is not very encouraging.

Even discounting the three flyers, you’re around 1.5 inches. I’m sure you’ll respond with something to the effect that this was freehand unsupported etc etc... which means the image isn’t at all demonstrative of the mechanical accuracy of the weapon & ammo.

Also?

On 8/25/2020 at 2:27 PM, zzt said:

I can't stand Titegroup.  Clays is too spikey.  231 is dirty and produces more recoil that necessary.  Don't really know why.  WST and AA5 are good.  If you run out of them, e3 is a really good alternative.

This is a pretty good summary of where the listed powders fit. Listen to zzt.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

47 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@pbcaster45 at just thirty feet, a gun should be stacking them on top of each other with a load that it likes. That large 3 inch group is not very encouraging.

Even discounting the three flyers, you’re around 1.5 inches. I’m sure you’ll respond with something to the effect that this was freehand unsupported etc etc... which means the image isn’t at all demonstrative of the mechanical accuracy of the weapon & ammo.

Also?

This is a pretty good summary of where the listed powders fit. Listen to zzt.

Can I use old age?  I'm 63 and my eyeballs are not what they used to be!  LOL!

2 hours ago, pbcaster45 said:

Can I use old age?  I'm 63 and my eyeballs are not what they used to be!  LOL!

I have no problem with your group size!

Just... it gives no proof that this is any kind of accurate load worth copying, which your post implied. That’s all. :) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

A load that shoot good in one pistol may not shoot good in another.  Fact of life.  Best to develop your own loads.

My CZ .40's love those Nosler 135 grain hollow points over a compressed load of Blue Dot.  My M&P and FNS pistols could care less about that load.  The 180 grain load (winchester 180 grain factory loads) that do pretty well in the FNS .40's suck for air in the CZ .40's.

The Winchester 124 FMJ NATO ammo that almost makes the 2.0 9MM M&P 5" look good are sad/sorry in my CZ 9MM pistols.  The PD or Zero 115 HPs over Blue Dot that do so well in the CZ 9MM are a waste of time shooting in the that M&P.

In my experience you're lucky to find a load that shoots well in more than one brand of pistol.

21 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

Sorry, I actually have 124gr Xtreme plated bullets. I loaded up a few with 4.3gr of 231.

I'm chrono them on Wednesday and report back.

I use Xtreme with 4.0 gr of 231 with good results, interested to see what you find.

8 minutes ago, old558 said:

I use Xtreme with 4.0 gr of 231 with good results, interested to see what you find.

I'm going to shoot these thru a S&W 929 9mm revolver, so I always need an extra grain or two.

I am a fan of titegroup - It's the powder I started with and stocked up on I may be biased based on that. Works good for me. I load 3.2g for a 147g bullet. May need to tweak the load up to 3.5 or so for 124g bullet. Check the data books to be safe! 😁

On 8/25/2020 at 12:48 PM, pbcaster45 said:

I know it's not the softest shooting powder and it's not one you mentioned... but my Beretta 92G sure likes BE-86!

Fifteen shots at 30 feet.

Bullet:  Hornady 115 gr. FMJ

Powder:  BE-86 5.0 grs.

Primer:  Winchester Small Pistol

Case:  Fiocchi 

OAL:  1.115

IMG_2082.JPG

3 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

231 is what I have used for the past 10+ years but have titegroup as a common backup.....

We went through the "which powder is better" back in the 70s long before TG. 231 always came out on top. But, those were 45acp days. 

Edited by Bobkoh

Here's my chrono report. Note, I was firing it thru a five inch S&W revolver.

Name: 9mm: 124gr Xtreme RN, Win 231, 4.3gr, Win Case
Notes: S&W 929 5" barrel
Shots: 30
Average: 950 ft/s
SD: 17 ft/s
Min: 928 ft/s
Max: 989 ft/s
Spread: 61 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 117
Power Factor Low: 115
Power Factor High: 122
Weight: 124.0 gr.