Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 Evolution - Non-Automated what powder checking system do you use

Well I have spent hours and hours watching videos,reading, and talking with a couple of experienced forum friends and I have about decided that if I can find a Mark 7 Evolution in 9mm in stock somewhere I am going to get it and sell my - Still sealed in the factory packaging Dillon RL1100 in 9mm that was recently delivered...My plan is to use the Evolution to load 9mm and I will use a MBF I already have and I MUST have a powder check in my system so thus my question to the current Evo users here that load on their machine manually...Thanks in advance for any guidance and help...Mark

1 hour ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Anyone ever try to use the Dillon powder check on an Evo unit?  I ask because I have several Dillon units that I use on various set ups for my 650..?

Sig:

Congratulations on moving over to the Mark 7!  ;)

IMO, most of the powder check units will screw into a standard die hole just like the Dillon units do.  So, I would at least try the Dillon once you get the press.

From what I've heard and read, a lot of users complain of powder sticking to the sensing rod/weight; regardless of the brand.  And this will create a mess depending on how fast one runs the press.

Again, depending on the powder and charge weight, you may be able to use the Dillon units without any spillage!  Definitely worth a try!

Good luck!  

👍

Thanks HogRider - Because I have a couple of extra Dillon powder checker units that I ordered to use with the RL1100 (that I am going to list for sale here in the classifieds in the coming days) I might keep these extra powder check units for now to see if they will work because the “plunger” on the Dillon powder check does NOT cause me any problems on my Dillon 650 (that I am going to keep) when loading W231 powder. W231 is my “go to” powder for 9mm because I have about 14lbs of it left in my limited pistol powder inventory (got a great deal on two 8lb. jugs and two 1lb. containers earlier this year).

Thanks for the feedback and I am excited about my decision to sell the RL1100 (still sealed in the original Dillon factory box I received it in) and moving to the Mark 7 which should arrive in about three weeks.....Mark

On 8/28/2020 at 8:01 AM, Intheshaw1 said:

How long have you had the 1100? I think you can return it i the first 30 days.

I received in 52 days ago and it is still sitting in the sealed box that it came in from Dillon....I had some travel and family issues come up that prevented me from unboxing it - and now these delays should work in my favor (I hope)....I am going to list it for sale In the classifieds here tomorrow for what I paid for it along with some additional accessories I bought to go with it. Hoping I can find someone local to purchase it so I do not have to ship this 70lb beast......

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, quiller said:

I tried the DAA one and yes it works but it picks up powder and flings it all over the press. I should have returned it, but forgot and found it sitting on a shelf last week. 

I noticed that with very small spherical powder it would pick it up, but I sprayed some static cling on it (and wiped excess off) and that made it significantly better.  Using that with VV powder made it work quite nice.

On 10/27/2020 at 10:35 PM, jcwallace84 said:

I noticed that with very small spherical powder it would pick it up, but I sprayed some static cling on it (and wiped excess off) and that made it significantly better.  Using that with VV powder made it work quite nice.

I'm using HS-6 and I went back up the back up camera option to visually see the powder. It works well for me and I don't load a whole lot, so cranking the handle and looking is okay.