Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight Magazine

First off, I think it is way cool to see so many forum member's names ( and pictures) appear in one way or another in Front Sight magazine. I also liked how Duane Thomas gave a little plug for the forum in his book review. That picture of Pat with his light sabre really rules.

Now for my question. A couple of us good old boys started a new USPSA club in central Wyoming and in one month's time we have managed to get 20 new shooters to give IPSC shooting a go. If our club, and others in our immediate area (that's a 200 mile circle around these parts), continue to grow, then just maybe we will have enough shooters to make a section and hold a major (for us) match as early as next year.

Val at USPSA asked me if I would be interested in writing a little article for Front Sight about our success story. Perhaps I could even include some info on attracting new shooters to the sport. What do you guys and gals think? Would Front Sight readers be interested in that kind of article and if so what should be included?

Please be brutally honest in your reply. If you think it is a hair brained idea, then I would like you say so before a I spend several agaonizing hours thrashing around on the keyboard trying to appear to be functionally literate.

TravisT,

It might help if you put where you are from in your profile on Brian Enos' Forums.  You might have shooters right next door who don't know where to go.

Go to the different gun forums and post that you are having a match.  Go shoot anywhere else in your area that there are shooters (any kind of shooting).  Let them know about your local match.

-----------

Ron,

Go for it.  Sounds good.

Its great to hear of your sucess Ron, and I'd love to read about it in Frontsite. (Guess I'll have to join USPSA!)

We had some sucess last year when we established regional teams. We held interclub selection matches, got shirts, a trophy and even a sponsor!!!!!

I called national news, explained the game as best I could, and lo and behold they came and filmed our Nationals. We had a full minute and a half on prime time National news. even included a lady competitor shooting a stage! brilliant PR, and no B/S.

I'm still stoked, pity an Aussie won, we had to get an international tournament organised as well!

Don't be afraid to advertise your sucess, you never know who it may inspire

P.D.

I belong to the Western Nevada Pistol League in Reno. Last year our PR director started a Production Pistol Series to help bring new shooters into the club and raise revenue. It has been an outstanding success.

Last month we had 49 non club members attend this match which consists of four relatively simple yet challenging stages. The rules and equipment requirements are minimal to encourage the faint of heart and weak of wallet to participate. We have on average 10 to 15 regular club members who show up to RO the match and give as much help as possible. They then shoot their own side match using carry or self defense oriented firearms........or in my case a suppressed, full-auto Cobray M-11 on one occassion. ;)

How did we get the incredible turnout? By blitzing local gun stores with high quality flyers, talking with local concealed carry instructors who recommended it to their students, and by getting the area newspaper to do a story.

We found sponsors to cover prizes for C class winners and have plaques for those that move up in class. We also post match results within one day of the match to keep up enthusiasm and encourage healthy competition. This has led to a steady increase in the number of new club members and has rejuvenated what was a somewhat stagnant club.

You can check out the results and pics at our web site.....http://nnsuspsa.com/nnsuspsa.htm  

Maybe that's a clue that we should strive to keep the game fun to avoid burnout. It's good to see somebody who has won umpteen national and world championships over umpty years can still have fun. Then again, maybe he's just a psychopath.

Ron, I'll be brutally honest.  GO FOR IT!   Write the article!   Carpe Diem, Live Large, and all that inspirational stuff.  

If you are interested in hosting a major match, the Wyoming State Championship, held in '97 &'98, met it's demise when the Cheyenne Rifle and Pistol Club told the pistol shooters to take a hike. (yes, this was evil)  It's a long story, but the board is comprised of a bunch of dusty old gun collectors who don't think shooting should be fun.

Anyway,  the other clubs around the state have been encouraging Ghost Town Shooters to host the state match.  Problem is, we don't have enough berms.

Idea: Get each club to sponsor and set up a stage or two.  Pretty soon we're back in business!  I'm volunteering to work of course.

A word from one of our stage sponsors : Shoshoni, WY is very near Yellostone Park and some great fishing! Maybe some of youse guys would come to this match?

How about that for brutal honesty?

Ron,

You should DEFINITELY write that article.  I read my front sight from cover to cover and will be damned glad to have a well written informative article to peruse :-)

I'm also interested in the topic and would like to know how you started it so fast and grew it so fast - so even if you don't write the article for the magazine, i would like to hear your ideas!

Kath

Do it Ron.  The more we do to encourage people by showing "it can be done" the better.

I recently had a pretty long fight with another board member of our IPSC club about his attitude scaring away new shooters.  Fortunately I won and he is stepping down.  This is our game, and making it appear hard to play, hard to join, or filled with arrogant self-absorbed a-holes doesn't help.

Our club isn't perfect but we try.  Visibility counts for a lot.  Look at the Cowboy folks.  Like CAS or not, they bring the people out.  Better any kind of shooter than no shooters. (except the unsafe ones of course)

Ross

Ross:

You are absolutely right. All but four of our 20 members are new to IPSC altogether. The "secret" if there is one, is to make everyone feel welcome regardless of their ability, age, gender, and/or equipment. What we have done is to organize "informal" shooters into a formal group, lol. A large part of our success can also be attributed to Ron Avery, but he doesn't know it. Mr. Avery really stresses the "competition" component of law enforcement training and for the first time in recent history law enforcement training is more or less converging on the shooting games that the general public is participating in. Think about it. Cops used to shoot PPC and that sport is only open to law enforcement officers. The new police courses of fire, for qualification purposes, are changing and taking on the "air" of what we do in IPSC. The chasm between police shooting activities and sports shooters is closing.

We will be holding our second shoot this weekend here in Shoshoni. Shoshoni has a population of about 500 people. Of course, we will draw from neighboring communities in a 100 mile radius. Even so, we are only drawing from a population base of perhaps 100,000 people.  I already have 22 shooters who have indicated that they would like to shoot the match. Of those 22 shooters only half are what we would call "serious" IPSC shooters. The balance shoot for fun and are not interested in competing with anyone but themselves (seeing individual improvement).

For what it is worth, there are fewer than 40,000 people in our entire county, but we have about 30 active IPSC/IDPA shooters and we are growing daily. On a per capita basis I think we are doing pretty good.

I think a lot of clubs in USPSA could use just such an article.  My home club is in the same condition as Travis T.'s, just a handful of us still shooting, and getting pressure from the Range we shoot at.  Over the years I've been in 3 different clubs (within 60 miles of my home) that have flourished a few years and then folded.  Don't want to see this  a fourth time!

Well I finally got my copy of front site. Flip right to the page with the big picture of Pat with the light saber.  Looked like a lot of fun. I still waiting to see the video that someone keeps telling me about....But most importantly, Pat and I have been practicing together for some time now.  He's been coaching me on the finer point of IPSC.  He has yet to show me how to use the light saber.  How am I suppose to become a Jedi Knight without the knowledge of the this ancient tool?

First off, I think it is way cool to see so many forum member's names ( and pictures) appear in one way or another in Front Sight magazine.  

My name's been listed in that magazine for the last year - has anybody seen it?

Not a facetious question, I'm really curious just how much you guys pay attention :-)

Oh - and my name is Kathy Littman, don't think that shows anywhere here!

(Edited by Shooter Grrl at 8:29 pm on Sep. 9, 2001)