Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Julien Boit

Bolt AR ?

I Just saw in front sight the AR Bolt rifle that Jake Kempton used in the 3-guns national for the manual rifle match. Does it works ?

I'm curious about the system it uses.

DVC

Julien

:)

Basically, it is an AR upper with the gas system deactivated.  He bolted a T handle to the carrier, and milled a slot for the handle to clear.  It is a straight-pull bolt action, and it works just fine.

His mags are altered 20 rounders that have one lip bent in to create a single-position feed, and he uses the bolt hold open slot as the base of the cartridge locator, allowing the use of 80 grain bullets loaded long.

Quote: from Patrick Sweeney on 7:55 am on July 15, 2002

...His mags are altered 20 rounders that have one lip bent in to create a single-position feed, and he uses the bolt hold open slot as the base of the cartridge locator, allowing the use of 80 grain bullets loaded long.

I can understand bending one of the mag lips so it will only feed from one side but can you explain the "he uses the bolt hold open slot as the base of the cartridge locator, allowing the use of 80 grain bullets loaded long" part further?

I do understand that blocking the gas port allows the rifle to work manually.  It works just like a regular AR15 except that there is no gas to operate the bolt so it must be manually pulled to the rear.

(Edited by Dave Berryhill at 9:38 am on July 15, 2002)

Shuttling the carrier back and forth rotates the bolt and locks it into the barrel extension, just as it would were it a gas gun.

In the modified magazines, the slot in the rear of the mag is where the base of the case goes, not the more forward part of the rear magazine tube.

The feed lips are bent to keep the round on the centerline of the magazine, not feeding alternatively from one side then the other.

The rear of the magazine and the cartridge base:

..............  .    .  .............

.  .    .  .

.  ......  .

(Edited by Patrick Sweeney at 8:53 am on July 16, 2002)

hello Patrick,

How are you know ?

Do you feel better ?

In the "Modified" column you wrote in Front sight, there is a nice modified gun in the box.

Is it yours ?

DVC

Julien

:)

When I got home (5 days later) my Doc gave me much better pain killers and muscle relaxants, and I was quickly "cured."

I had an unrelated visit to a urologist a month after the 3-Gun, and something had alarm bells going off in his head, so he scheduled me for an IVP, a kidney x-ray with dye.  One of the less embarassing and invasive tests, and it proved inconclusive.

The recommendation was "drink more water."

The Modifed gun is indeed mine own, built for WSXII, and delivered months later than planned and just in time for that match.  I'll be using it at WSXIII.