Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2nd Shadow 2 Optic Ready for backup?

Snowman50

I currently have a S2 OR (1st time CZ user) and haven't done any CGW mods yet, but will be doing that in the coming weeks.  I have the opportunity to pick up another S2 OR and does this make sense before I do the upgrades on my first S2, or should I consider a SP-01 tac sports, or SP-01 Shadow for less money?  I've been shooting USPSA for 1 year with a Glock 17.   Thanks in advance for any comments!

If your wallet can handle it, do it! Personally I feel it's a good idea to have an identical backup gun (and parts for the easy repairs). 

I think this also depends on how serious you are in USPSA (or want to be). I've only been a competitor in level 1 matches but hope to step up to major matches relatively soon (Wish I had more time!). If you need to travel for majors, you'll likely need to pay your way there (match fees, lodging, time taken off, etc.) and so I think it's wise to bring a backup in case your main breaks down during the match for whatever reason. 

If you like the S2, a duplicate gun and dot makes sense for a serious shooter.  Maybe the most important part of that is the extra slide and optic.

I don't know your financial situation to know whether the purchase makes sense for you, but let me share how I would prioritize shooting USPSA:

If you're travelling to matches and playing airfare or for hotel rooms, absolutely get a second gun set up identically to your main. It seems most people here have a match gun and a dry fire gun, with the dry fire gun serving as the backup at major matches.

If you're only shooting locally at 5k+/yr and $20-$30 a weekend, but don't yet don't reload. Your next priority should be a quality reloading press of some description, not another gun.

If you're shooting less than 5k/yr and buying ammo, maybe reloading is a hobby you want to consider. But I consider this a casual level of participation in USPSA and you probably have other shooting interest or completely separate hobbies that you're weighing the decision against and I'd advise you to not rush into any purchases until you know what you want better. Put your money where you put your time.

12 minutes ago, belus said:

If you like the S2, a duplicate gun and dot makes sense for a serious shooter.  Maybe the most important part of that is the extra slide and optic.

I don't know your financial situation to know whether the purchase makes sense for you, but let me share how I would prioritize shooting USPSA:

If you're travelling to matches and playing airfare or for hotel rooms, absolutely get a second gun set up identically to your main. It seems most people here have a match gun and a dry fire gun, with the dry fire gun serving as the backup at major matches.

If you're only shooting locally at 5k+/yr and $20-$30 a weekend, but don't yet don't reload. Your next priority should be a quality reloading press of some description, not another gun.

If you're shooting less than 5k/yr and buying ammo, maybe reloading is a hobby you want to consider. But I consider this a casual level of participation in USPSA and you probably have other shooting interest or completely separate hobbies that you're weighing the decision against and I'd advise you to not rush into any purchases until you know what you want better. Put your money where you put your time.

I currently shoot approx. 9,000 yr, and my daughter is getting into the sport and yes I do reload.  I spend a lot of my free time  in USPSA  and reloading.  

I've known for sometime that you should have an identical firearm if you take the sport seriously, and with the shadow 2's  larger grip than the SP-01 Shadow is my main  consideration for the S2.

10 minutes ago, LuvDog said:

Get the second S2 OR.  That way you don't need to get a new holster for your backup.

Smart.  I had not thought about that!  any money saved is a good thing in this sport.  Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Snowman50 said:

I currently shoot approx. 9,000 yr, and my daughter is getting into the sport and yes I do reload.  I spend a lot of my free time  in USPSA  and reloading.  

I've known for sometime that you should have an identical firearm if you take the sport seriously, and with the shadow 2's  larger grip than the SP-01 Shadow is my main  consideration for the S2.

Seems like a reasonable step to me then.

What does your daughter like to shoot? Has she had a chance to pick her own gun yet? Having her choose 'her pistol' might pay extra dividends in bond time and interest in the sport, in contrast to a mostly idle gun.

16 minutes ago, belus said:

Seems like a reasonable step to me then.

What does your daughter like to shoot? Has she had a chance to pick her own gun yet? Having her choose 'her pistol' might pay extra dividends in bond time and interest in the sport, in contrast to a mostly idle gun.

My daughter likes my Glock 17 gen 5mos, but shot the Shadow 2 last week and likes the S2  more!  She hasn't participated in any matches yet, but hopefully before the end of this season.

For me, muscle memory index on the gun is absolutely critical for carry optics.  I don’t like switching between my S2 CO, original Shadow CO, and G17 MOS.  I always reserve a couple dry fire sessions before I switch.  

I would get identical S2s if that’s the platform you prefer.

8 hours ago, cjfung10 said:

If your wallet can handle it, do it! Personally I feel it's a good idea to have an identical backup gun (and parts for the easy repairs). 

I think this also depends on how serious you are in USPSA (or want to be). I've only been a competitor in level 1 matches but hope to step up to major matches relatively soon (Wish I had more time!). If you need to travel for majors, you'll likely need to pay your way there (match fees, lodging, time taken off, etc.) and so I think it's wise to bring a backup in case your main breaks down during the match for whatever reason. 

+1. 

If you just plan on shooting local matches, your gun going down on you and you missing a local match won't be a huge deal other than being a bummer... but if you were traveling to a match and incurred all the costs that go with that, then if your gun were to go down, that could be a HUGE bum out.

Thing is too, in Carry Optics, might not be the gun that fails, but your dot might (that's arguably more likely)...

If you swap out springs and a slide-stop once a year, and aren't unlucky, you may never need the backup... but like is said: better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.. 

Plus, the S2OR's are pretty hard to get a hold of right now, maybe you should grab another one while you can?

Edited by ck1

Ordered a second S2OR last week. I expected the gun to last a whole season, and the weak link in the chain was the flat screws that secure the mount to the slide (they're about the same quality as the mag release button screw). One became loose and then broke when I tried to remove it, necessitating drilling it out from underneath the slide. While the gun was out of action I shot a CzechMate so I didn't do as well in Production Optics Division as I would have hoped.

Other than that, I'm very pleased with the gun! Running it with a 10 lb recoil spring + buffer and a 6MOA Vortex Venom red dot.

Edited by Lior

• 2 weeks later...

Id say do it! Have them set up identically, and use one shadow 2 for matches only and the other for practice. Take your practice gun as a backup, but really, most of the rounds we put on our guns is through practice, so your match gun should last forever.

On 8/21/2020 at 12:13 PM, Snowman50 said:

Smart.  I had not thought about that!  any money saved is a good thing in this sport.  Thanks!

FWIW, an SP-01 will fit in most Shadow 2 holsters, but not vice versa. I shot an SP-01 for a couple years before getting a Shadow 2, and still bring the SP-01 my backup gun. But when I finally buy a proper backup gun, it will be another Shadow 2.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 9:07 AM, slowhands said:

FWIW, an SP-01 will fit in most Shadow 2 holsters, but not vice versa. I shot an SP-01 for a couple years before getting a Shadow 2, and still bring the SP-01 my backup gun. But when I finally buy a proper backup gun, it will be another Shadow 2.

A cheaper backup gun that fits the same holster is what I have done so far.  Certainly identical backup would be nice but don’t want to spend the money. Any backup at all is vastly better than none!