Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Production Legal Magazine Base Pads

horhey232

So as everyone comes to know Glock magazines are extremely light and sometimes don't drop free as quickly as we would like when empty. What is everyone running as production legal base pads? I am thinking about some Taran ones but they look pretty big on the bottom. I don't own a magazine gauge so I am not sure how much space I have to play with from the OEM magazine.

Base pads from the majority of known manufacturers should be good to go for Production.  A mag gauge won't really help you there as they are designed for the 140mm and 170mm magazines, neither of which apply to Production.  To check if you are Production legal, you'd have to get the Production box.

Shock Bottle (at Ben Stoeger) are very easy to get off if you clean your mags a lot, otherwise Dawson is a pretty tried and true option.  Go with whatever works for your budget and tastes (colors, materials, etc.), they all weight about the same and are about the same size.  Taylor Freelance makes a brass version that might weight a little bit more than others but it is likely negligible.

I have use the cheap Dawson Precision base pads for production.  I believe I have the +300 option.
https://dawsonprecision.com/extended-baseplates-for-glock-by-dawson-precision/

I have also seen people in our local matches running the smaller (+2/3) Taran Tactical ones.  

With my +300 Dawson ones, I still make the box according to my measurements, even with suppressor height sights.

1 hour ago, Edwards30 said:

I have use the cheap Dawson Precision base pads for production.  I believe I have the +300 option.
https://dawsonprecision.com/extended-baseplates-for-glock-by-dawson-precision/

I have also seen people in our local matches running the smaller (+2/3) Taran Tactical ones.  

With my +300 Dawson ones, I still make the box according to my measurements, even with suppressor height sights.

I am thinking about going with Taran's so that if I shoot a class that isn't USPSA oriented I have 21 rounds in the magazine. Might as well give the space some purpose. I just hope it doesn't keep the same issue because it is lighter due to it being hollowed out to accommodate the additional capacity.

You don't need the extra weight to help the mags drop. If they aren't dropping freely, then it's because you're not holding the gun straight up when pressing the mag release. I used to think this was a Glock design flaw as other manufacturers who use steel mags practically shoot them out. However, I learned to appreciate that it forces the optimal position in your reloads. Anytime you see someone flicking their Glock to drop a mag, then they're doing it inefficiently. If held correctly, the mag will fall straight out as long as it's not caked with debris. Since you're shooting production, you'll save even more money by first analyzing your reload technique before purchasing a set of basepads.

Far from an expert but I find that a production legal extended mag release gets me a cleaner release that stock.   Also a little armor all or gun slick on the inside of the mag well doesn’t hurt.   I don’t like it on the mags because too much can make them slick to grab and manipulate.  

I saw a guy that had put lead plugs In The bottom of factory plus 2 mag extensions.   Not sure it would help all that much but it was an interesting idea.  

Edited by Desk-Jockey

I have 7 of the TTI plus3,4 mag base pads, they all fit the box with his sights, so no worries there. I run them with 12 or 13 coil Wolff springs, as it gives me extra insurance on feeding. I will use armor all inside grip, and also use it on the mag bodies. The extra length with the pads make indexing the mags easier for a reload. Glock mags are cheap, make sure the mags your using for a match all drop free, if one doesn’t do not use it. Do not sand them, I’ve read that it causes little hairs on the plastic and actually makes the problem worse.

54 minutes ago, risingsun said:

Which particular one do you use? I'm not familiar with Armor All and it looks like there are many varieties:

https://www.armorall.com/products

Interested in giving it a try with my Glocks.

Thanks!

I use the original protectant wipes. The wipes makes it easy to shove into mag well, and do the mag bodies inside and out.

On 8/21/2020 at 10:54 AM, horhey232 said:

I am thinking about going with Taran's so that if I shoot a class that isn't USPSA oriented I have 21 rounds in the magazine. Might as well give the space some purpose. I just hope it doesn't keep the same issue because it is lighter due to it being hollowed out to accommodate the additional capacity.

The Dawson ones really aren't that heavy.  With something like a Glock magazine, the weight protruding from the grip is what really helps for me.  

I've never tried any of the armor-all or other lubricants.  To me it has always seemed like asking for trouble.  

I don't shoot production with a Glock anymore but when I did I would spray the mags with silicone lubricant before the match. It makes them pretty slick and they fall with no basepad, even with the mag empty and the magwell slightly sideways. It doesn't effect grabbing the mags but it reduces friction. 

I like the Dawson pads.  Good fit, good price.   

Would caution on spraying/lubing mags or magwell because it attracts fine particulate.  Most venues have plenty of gravel dust, grit/sand or dusty soil surfaces.  

I'm mostly a 2011/1911 metal magazine guy and new to Glock.  Don't you get a gritty mess with lubed/slicked up mags?

On 8/29/2020 at 6:59 AM, Yeti said:

I like the Dawson pads.  Good fit, good price.   

Would caution on spraying/lubing mags or magwell because it attracts fine particulate.  Most venues have plenty of gravel dust, grit/sand or dusty soil surfaces.  

I'm mostly a 2011/1911 metal magazine guy and new to Glock.  Don't you get a gritty mess with lubed/slicked up mags?

not really and Glocks are going to be less finicky about dirt than a 2011/1911 as a general rule.  It is easy to wipe them after and even during a match if needed.  Glock mags are relatively cheap so I run 10-12 in my range bag for production.   If I put one in the mud or dirt, I swap it for a fresh one.  

• 6 months later...

TTI basepads work well.  They provide a nice index for consistent draw from the pouch, and they are very easy to remove and install.  Not sure they add a lot of weight, but IMO enough to give a little extra in dropping free.  I agree with other’s posts about Armor All or a silicone rag in the magwell.