Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 What dies are you using?

Jory45acp

Loading for the 929 I'd like to hear what dies or combination of dies has been working for loading the heavy +150-165gn coated bullets. I just on another 9mm forum about "M" expander dies which was new to me. I also seen a fair bit of talk on the Hornady Custom Grade seater die for keeping the bullets more inline and reducing or eliminating case bulge with heavier rounds.  Whatever dies I wind up with, they will be used only for this gun specifically and not any of my other 9mm loads.  Any insight or experience is greatly appreciated. As they ask before you buy. 

Lee undersized die + Lee factory crimp die + Redding micrometer adjustable seating die (with spring removed) + Mr. Bulletfeeder powder funnel - 160 grain 0.358 bayou or sns - Winchester brass

I had bullets walk when not using the U-die, and the tall fat 160's do not stay seated between the mbf drop station and the next very well which slows my 1050 speed down. Have 1000 bayou 0.358 135 grain that should arrive today, anxious to see how they do on the 929 and 1050 both. 

I use the same dies for all 9mm. 

I’m using a 38 super die with decapping pin first, then a 9mm to get neck tension back. Hornady flare die is much easier to adjust than letting the powder do the flaring. Hornady seating does help keep things lined up sooner and is really easy to adjust.

Like I posted in the other thread I’d try the new UniqueTek funnel made for exactly what we are doing.  I got my press up to 1800 rph with the rare one or two that fell off.  I’m also using ibeji’s which are much more slippery than Bayous.

I'm using a Lee size/decap die in station 1

A Mr Bullet Feeder funnel in a Dillon powder die in station 2

A Mr Bullet Feeder (mini) die in station 3

A Lee seat/crimp die in station 4

I'm using .357 plated bullets, because that's what my barrel slugged at. I don't get any bullet pull.

Edited by ysrracer