Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Dry Fire Practice Magazines - Break

IVC

It had to eventually happen... (more info below the photos)

break1.thumb.jpg.be808378fe62e1f1d1d0e14244153673.jpg

break2.thumb.jpg.d3a64ef3777110da669df110a71cec77.jpg

I was one of the early adopters and ordered them as soon as I found them in stock. Really like the spring-loaded tip that provides that realistic resistance as the magazine is inserted into the gun that is already in battery, such as you do with virtually all USPSA reloads (tactical reloads). 

With the moving part and plastic comes the vulnerability. After some months of daily training and a large part of it dealing with all sorts of violent reloads on the clock, the lip on one finally broke. It wasn't a single messed up reload, it was actually a relatively mild fumble, indicating that the plastic was damaged earlier and was ready to come off. The break is very clean along the seam so it's possible that it started separating there. I checked the remaining four magazines and they all look solid. Used and abused, but solid. 

My dry fire is over carpet and magazines land pretty softly. The main point of abuse is when working on very fast reloads (0.7-0.8) and hitting around the magwell hard any time there is a slight misalignment. This is likely what caused the failure. I wouldn't call it a design flaw, more of a necessary "feature" because of the spring-loaded top. In my initial review of the magazines on the DAA website I mentioned that my only concern would be whether they would stand up to the abuse. In all honesty, I would say that they do really well and that having to replace one here or there after this much use is not a big deal. 

I will be ordering a few extras today...

• 1 month later...

Both of mine broke after a few months of similar use (Over carpet, practicing quick reloads.)

Both just had the front of the follower part come loose and the spring fall out. I'm just glueing them back together and using them without the spring.

For 20 bucks a mag, I'd hope they would last more than 3-4 months.

Edited by lroy

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 2:50 PM, IVC said:

It had to eventually happen... (more info below the photos)

break1.thumb.jpg.be808378fe62e1f1d1d0e14244153673.jpg

break2.thumb.jpg.d3a64ef3777110da669df110a71cec77.jpg

I was one of the early adopters and ordered them as soon as I found them in stock. Really like the spring-loaded tip that provides that realistic resistance as the magazine is inserted into the gun that is already in battery, such as you do with virtually all USPSA reloads (tactical reloads). 

With the moving part and plastic comes the vulnerability. After some months of daily training and a large part of it dealing with all sorts of violent reloads on the clock, the lip on one finally broke. It wasn't a single messed up reload, it was actually a relatively mild fumble, indicating that the plastic was damaged earlier and was ready to come off. The break is very clean along the seam so it's possible that it started separating there. I checked the remaining four magazines and they all look solid. Used and abused, but solid. 

My dry fire is over carpet and magazines land pretty softly. The main point of abuse is when working on very fast reloads (0.7-0.8) and hitting around the magwell hard any time there is a slight misalignment. This is likely what caused the failure. I wouldn't call it a design flaw, more of a necessary "feature" because of the spring-loaded top. In my initial review of the magazines on the DAA website I mentioned that my only concern would be whether they would stand up to the abuse. In all honesty, I would say that they do really well and that having to replace one here or there after this much use is not a big deal. 

I will be ordering a few extras today...

Guess i have been lucky...mine are still intact.

Forgot about this thread... 

Most of mine broke, so I figured out a simple way to keep on using them - wrap electrical tape around the red top that pivots and shove it back into the purple frame. The friction on the sides keeps the tip in place and prevents it from flopping around. The magazines work well that way and I haven't broken one yet to the point it couldn't be used. 

My guess is that DAA will soon come out with a fully solid training magazine. The extra benefit of having realistic spring is not worth the reliability price. Either way, it beats using the real magazines and damaging the feed lips. 

On 11/13/2020 at 11:20 PM, IVC said:

Forgot about this thread... 

Most of mine broke, so I figured out a simple way to keep on using them - wrap electrical tape around the red top that pivots and shove it back into the purple frame. The friction on the sides keeps the tip in place and prevents it from flopping around. The magazines work well that way and I haven't broken one yet to the point it couldn't be used. 

My guess is that DAA will soon come out with a fully solid training magazine. The extra benefit of having realistic spring is not worth the reliability price. Either way, it beats using the real magazines and damaging the feed lips. 

I'm not really even sure what the benefit is of having the spring.