Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your club

rowdyb

19 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I'd give him one chance to decock.  If he refuses, I'll just change him to ESP on the tablet whether he likes it or not.

If he argues, DQ for violating Joyce's code of conduct.

Not My Club, I was a guest there.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One club I used to shoot at made the stages that the designer and MD could shoot.  You needed to be a contortionist to complete some of the stages.  That was the last time I shot there.

Follow the rules?  They did when it was a non club member but not for their club members.

1 hour ago, BillChunn said:

Nice.....

BC

Then they wonder why no one goes to their matches.

They also use unqualified people to SO too and they don't know what they are doing.

Edited by RePete

I stopped shooting IDPA for a few reasons.
1... crap suggestion book. NO EXCUSE for having verbs like should and may in a rule book

2. Even the crap suggestion book was not followed.

3. Majors favored local shooters.

I just looked over the stages for a local IDPA match this Saturday.

One of them requires that you engage a target array in tactical sequence.  A target engagement procedure that was deleted and outlawed four years ago.

SMH

Edited by SGT_Schultz

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 10:13 PM, SGT_Schultz said:

I just looked over the stages for a local IDPA match this Saturday.

One of them requires that you engage a target array in tactical sequence.  A target engagement procedure that was deleted and outlawed four years ago.

SMH

I'm sure they meant Tactical Priority but just flubbed the description.

AD

Just now, ADulay said:

I'm sure they meant Tactical Priority but just flubbed the description.

AD

You might be right.  Someone must have pointed it out during the SO "walkthrough" because the description was corrected by the squad SO during stage briefing.

BTW, why does IDPA need an SO walkthrough of all the stages?

On 3/19/2021 at 4:59 PM, SGT_Schultz said:

BTW, why does IDPA need an SO walkthrough of all the stages?

Probably to make sure everybody is on the same page when shooting the stage with regards to barriers, limits, etc.

Just like it explains in 3.3.1 of the rule book.

AD

On 8/20/2020 at 10:04 AM, rowdyb said:

How well does your club follow the current rule book? And how do you feel about if they do/don't?

DQ's are the only thing I have seen to get persnickety about, it took a while for folks at the two local idpa clubs to get consistent and get a bit hard nosed about calling them and one local uspsa club is less strict about calling them than I would wish.

I dq'd an 80 year old friend for muzzling himself bagging his unloaded and flagged gun at a steel challenge match a couple weeks back. No fun for anyone.

3 hours ago, ADulay said:

Probably to make sure everybody is on the same page when shooting the stage with regards to barriers, limits, etc.

A proper, concise, and clear stage description fixes 90% of those issues.  The other 10% is going to require fixing the rulebook

On 3/22/2021 at 7:03 PM, SGT_Schultz said:

A proper, concise, and clear stage description fixes 90% of those issues.  The other 10% is going to require fixing the rulebook

I agree 100% 😀

AD

• 4 months later...

My club now runs a "style" match kinda sorta like IDPA.  

There are some inconsistencies even within the MD's homegrown rules and procedures.  You just have to apply Rule Zero.

We are not affiliated but the MD runs what he thinks is a USPSA rules match, but isn't.  At least he is consistent in what he sets up and how he calls it.

In my (pre Covid) theatre of operations, there are a couple of ranges that hold regulation IDPA and regulation USPSA.  No huhu.  

Another place had a homegrown IDPAish event with written rules.  It did not draw so they now have a regular USPSA and a practice match not distinguishable from USPSA.  

Still another operation started as IDPA but mutated as the MD and CSO tried to draw from LE rather than sportsmen.  It was doing pretty well getting cops some practice until the MD changed jobs and no longer had time to fool with it.    

Edited by Jim Watson

On 8/14/2021 at 1:27 PM, Jim Watson said:

Still another operation started as IDPA but mutated as the MD and CSO tried to draw from LE rather than sportsmen.  It was doing pretty well getting cops some practice until the MD changed jobs and no longer had time to fool with it.    

Collectively LE are the worst pistol shooters in the country.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2021 at 8:33 PM, SGT_Schultz said:

Collectively LE are the worst pistol shooters in the country.

I'm a MD for IDPA and USPSA matches and I cannot disagree with this assessment.

Doubling back to the original topic - my matches adhere very closely to the rulebook, as do most of the ones I attend. I think we happen to be lucky in our area with a number of experienced SO's and newer ones who are willing to look things up. The IDPA rulebook doesn't do MD's/stage designers/SO's many favors, though, as it's often ambiguous on rulings and requires interpretation... which is the opposite of what a rulebook should be.

Edited by matteekay

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/21/2020 at 6:36 AM, SGT_Schultz said:

The two IDPA clubs left in my area appear to follow the rulebook well enough but I think neither has too many certified SOs.  I say that because I've been called on PEs that weren't and have had them retracted after showing them in the book where it either says I can do what I did or doesn't say I can't do what I did.

I don't take IDPA seriously so I don't get butthurt about it all.

There was a time, back when Bill Wilson ran things, where each state had an SO trainer. They would travel from club to club and hold training classes for those shooters the MD recommended become SOs. I was certified via that route in 2007. It was an eight-hour class, including range time. The trainers were all paid a monthly stipend to cover their time and travel. Joyce Fowler stopped that when she took over; too expensive. No money for the trainers, and thus not too many trainers. Not surprising that local clubs have 'not so well-trained' SOs.

On 8/28/2020 at 9:59 AM, Jim Watson said:

That is why I did not bother to renew my SO card.  I have worked under all the rule books and the last two or three are running together in my head.  

I just apply Rule Zero.  Ask the SO what he wants me to do and then do it the best I can.  Not the way it is supposed to be but see Howard B's conclusion.

I pretty much do the same thing, I go listen to the stage description ask any questions, and do pretty much what they want me to do.  shoot then have a good time.  I started shooting in 96 and I have watched the rule book grow from a man, to frankstein!