Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for 9mm minor and 40 major

This ammo shortage has forced me to break out the press and start making ammo.  I missed out on some primers today but it seems like the vendors are doing somewhat better with powder inventory.  I have a few pounds of old CFE pistol, and Titegroup but that will go quick.  Is there a powder thats preferred that work for both that has a decent recoil and isnt as expensive as n320 or n350?  I was eyeing up some of the alliant and shooters world powders.  

Sport pistol is good, but good luck finding it. I like titegroup for the price, but you have to clean your guns more often (maybe every 5-700 rounds). If you clean your guns after trip anyways then titegroup is perfect imo.

Where did you miss out on primers at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After trying a bunch, I've been using Alliant e3 for years.  It is perfect for 9mm minor and 40 minor and major.  I loaded 3.6gr under a 180 for 172 PF with single digit SDs.  Super clean and no temperature sensitivity.  Except for Open pistols it is the only powder I now use for 9mm, 40sw and 45 ACP (bullseye).  You do not need the extra powder and recoil that slower powders provide.

35 minutes ago, zzt said:

After trying a bunch, I've been using Alliant e3 for years.  It is perfect for 9mm minor and 40 minor and major.  I loaded 3.6gr under a 180 for 172 PF with single digit SDs.  Super clean and no temperature sensitivity.  Except for Open pistols it is the only powder I now use for 9mm, 40sw and 45 ACP (bullseye).  You do not need the extra powder and recoil that slower powders provide.

I seen this e3 at shop other day. I heard other say same as u. Great powder

E3 or Sport Pistol from alliant... No idea where these guys are coming from with these slow powders. OP isnt loading open.
Shooters World. Cleanshot is basically the old style AA2. I am really liking AA2 so cleanshot should work as well.
Hodgdon brand.. probably Tightgoup ,  (which is still the most popular powder for 9 minor and 40 major at nationals) But 244 is a newer powder around 231 burn rate should work well as an all around pistol powder.

I've been using sport pistol and w231 as it's what they had in stock locally when I started reloading this past year.

Just bought 5 lbs of aa2 from PV with some primers that I was able to snag so looking forward to trying that out as well as it was the first powder I saw that they had in stock.

I think right now I'm looking for anything that would work with 9mm and 40 if it's in stock at wherever I can find primers to spread out the hazmat costs.

I use Titegroup for 9, 38 spl, 40, 44 mag/spl, & 45. I switched to Bullseye last time there was a shortage because that's all I could get and usage was almost identical to TG (within .1gr).

I use Sport Pistol for 9 mm and 40 major.  It is more difficult to find locally than the others.  Right now it is just plain difficult to buy on the internet.  Just picked up some WST locally yesterday to load 45.   I’ve run out of small primers and have some large primers left over from years gone by.  Good luck.