Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safe Area rules

jeff40

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, waktasz said:

In my imagination his holster would have some of that nasty blue water on the bottom 

what happens in the shitter stays in the shitter, creepy peepers need to mind their own business.

On 1/17/2021 at 7:10 PM, DirkD said:

what happens in the s#!tter stays in the s#!tter, creepy peepers need to mind their own business.

It's all fun and games until someone comes crying their gun fell in the soup. 

The Range Officer may, at his discretion, secure the gun himself

or return it to the competitor who will secure it under supervision of the

Range Officer.

I assure you I would hand you your gun for you to bag or holster.😉

On 8/24/2020 at 1:09 PM, dwzuspsa said:

per Troy:

It's ok to leave your gun in the holster, even with magazines on the belt, in the safe area while you attend to other business.  As long as the magazines themselves are not handled, there are no safety violations.  An unattended firearm is just that, unattended.  It is not dangerous, nor can it do anything on its own.  The biggest threat to an unattended gun on a safe area table is the chance it gets stolen.
The rules say you can't handle ammunition, snap caps, dummy rounds, or empty cases in a safe area.  Having them in magazine carriers, or in your bag in a safety area is not a rules violation.

So a question comes to mind when I see this: suppose a competitor wants to place their entire rig - loaded magazines and all - in the safe area before using the bathroom, and while placing it down one of their loaded magazines comes loose onto the table.  Rule 2.4.2 says that loaded magazines et. al. must not be handled within the safe area, but in this case the competitor never touched their magazines.  Is it still a DQ? Who could actually remove said magazines from the safe area without risking a DQ?

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

quote the rule that says its a DQ to drop a holstered rig in the out house ?

A competitor who, while not at a safety area or under RO

supervision, removes their holster or their equipment belt with

their handgun still in the holster, shall be considered to be in

violation of Rule 5.2.1 and subject to disqualification from the

match.

9 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

So a question comes to mind when I see this: suppose a competitor wants to place their entire rig - loaded magazines and all - in the safe area before using the bathroom, and while placing it down one of their loaded magazines comes loose onto the table.  Rule 2.4.2 says that loaded magazines et. al. must not be handled within the safe area, but in this case the competitor never touched their magazines.  Is it still a DQ? Who could actually remove said magazines from the safe area without risking a DQ?

Handle it like you would dropping an unloaded pistol outside the course of fire.

7 hours ago, terrydoc said:

FYI there's nothing in the IPSC rule book that prohibits you removing your rig with holstered firearm. Obviously if the gun is dropped then you cant pick it up and an RO is required.

A common problem is that people are not specific about which game they are shooting. In my opinion IPSC & USPSA should not be combined on these forums. Most people who populate BE are USPSA shooters. I for one have zero interest in IPSC

On 1/21/2021 at 6:24 AM, terrydoc said:

FYI there's nothing in the IPSC rule book that prohibits you removing your rig with holstered firearm. Obviously if the gun is dropped then you cant pick it up and an RO is required.

To be specific, you can remove your rig with holstered firearm in a Safety Area, or as instructed by a RO.

IPSC Rule:

5.2.2 Handling – Except when within the boundaries of a Safety Area, or when under the supervision and direct command of a Range Officer, competitors must not handle their firearms. The word "handle" includes holstering or unholstering a firearm, even if it is concealed by a protective cover, and/or adding or removing it to/from the competitor's person while it is wholly or partially holstered. Violations are subject to Rule 10.5.1.

It is a stupid rule that you can't remove your belt with a holstered gun but you can handle an uncased pcc in the parking lot and other places on the range while not under the direct supervision of an ro.

A holstered pistol you have no access to the trigger so why isn't it treated the same as a cased gun?

Not sure where you shoot that allows handling your uncased PCC in the parking lot or other places on the range, but here all of the ranges we shoot USPSA require us to go to a safe table to case or uncase our PCC's to put on our carts or to bring to the line against a berm or safe table. If caught doing it in a parking lot you would be DQ'ed. Handling a PCC anywhere on these USPSA ranges, but a safe table is a DQ.

Now outlaw 3-gun and other matches the parking lots are fair game.

gerritm

1 hour ago, gerritm said:

Not sure where you shoot that allows handling your uncased PCC in the parking lot or other places on the range, but here all of the ranges we shoot USPSA require us to go to a safe table to case or uncase our PCC's to put on our carts or to bring to the line against a berm or safe table. If caught doing it in a parking lot you would be DQ'ed. Handling a PCC anywhere on these USPSA ranges, but a safe table is a DQ.

gerritm

That goes against USPSA rules. You literally never have to case a PCC. You can carry it all day if you want as long as you don’t sweep anybody

IPSC Rule for PCC:

5.2.1 Carry and Storage – Except when within the boundaries of a Safety Area, or when under the supervision and direct command of a Range Officer, long guns must be unloaded and held, shouldered or slung (or placed in a rack), with the muzzle pointed skywards. Long guns placed in a slip or case are not required to be pointed skywards....

The action may be open or closed, but a chamber safety flag must be fitted at all times when the firearm is not in use. Detachable magazines must be removed.

10.5.19 Failing to point the muzzle of a PCC at a side berm or back stop during 
casing/uncasing or removing/replacing on a conveyance or sweeping any 
person with the muzzle of a PCC, whether loaded or not, even if a chamber 
flag is inserted.  Side berms/backstops may be used for casing and uncasing 
or removing from/placing on conveyances only.  All other gun handling with 
the PCC, e.g., sight pictures, turning dots on/off, etc., must be accomplished 
in a safety area or under the direct supervision of a Range Officer.  The 
berm/backstop is not required while removing/returning a properly flagged 
PCC from/to a vehicle providing all other safety rules are followed. 

Did you all notice how I worded it. Local Ranges rules require us to use a safe table and not case or un-case at our vehicles. You all can argue the validity of this, but I will continue to follow what they require. Safe tables and berms when under supervision to come to the line still applies along with flags and no sweeping. 

gerritm 

Technically they need approval from HQ to implement local rules. I get not pushing the issue so you can continue to have matches but I would hate to be the out of towner who gets sent home when they didn’t even beak a USPSA rule. Then again I’d hate to be a PCC shooter period.😂😂

I am a PCC shooter by default due to an eye and finger injury. Love to go back to open. But being DQ'ed by a local range official may not be under USPSA rules is still a DQ. I really don't want to make the local SO's mad at ranges I shoot at monthly. Most are  good people, not range nazis, and pretty sure a new or out of towner would be schooled in their rules, not sent home. I am good with this local rule anyways, have seen some crazy gun handling in the parking lots of outlaw matches watching someone wave a rifle around, and not knowing if it is loaded or not. 

gerritm

19 hours ago, perttime said:

To be specific, you can remove your rig with holstered firearm in a Safety Area, or as instructed by a RO.

IPSC Rule:

5.2.2 Handling – Except when within the boundaries of a Safety Area, or when under the supervision and direct command of a Range Officer, competitors must not handle their firearms. The word "handle" includes holstering or unholstering a firearm, even if it is concealed by a protective cover, and/or adding or removing it to/from the competitor's person while it is wholly or partially holstered. Violations are subject to Rule 10.5.1.

I stand corrected

13 hours ago, gerritm said:

gerritm

Uspsa rule book, read it.