Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safe Area rules

jeff40

1 hour ago, DirkD said:

There is nothing they can do, it is allowed in the uspsa rules, no local rules unless approved by uspsa in writing 

There is plenty they can do and that part of the rulebook has been proven to not mean s#!t. The club can easily throw you off their property if they want to.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, waktasz said:

There is plenty they can do and that part of the rulebook has been proven to not mean s#!t. The club can easily throw you off their property if they want to.

They can lose their sanctioning too, it has happened to other clubs.

If a uspsa match isn't following the rules, people won't go.

Seen a few clubs go away because of their bs extra rules.

Not sure how USPSA club rules trump local range rules. At these ranges it is not the USPSA club but the range that makes these rules. This goes for all matches held, not just USPSA. So good luck arguing this with the local range Safety Officer  that cruises the range and parking lot to enforce their rules. So what you are all saying is that all I have to say is I am here for the USPSA match and your range rules don't matter or apply? This is not the club tossing you it is the range. Is it really worth this instead of walking 50' to the range supplied safe table to handle your firearms? As far as I am concerned it pays to know the local range rules as well as USPSA rules.

gerritm

58 minutes ago, DirkD said:

They can lose their sanctioning too, it has happened to other clubs.

If a uspsa match isn't following the rules, people won't go.

Seen a few clubs go away because of their bs extra rules.

I guess all the clubs in PA with this rule that sell out in 10 minutes for their local match better watch out, or people won't go

2 hours ago, waktasz said:

That’s always a good Trump card. The clubs around here all adhere to USPSA rules during matches and we don’t have RSO’s anyway. But people have been banned from various properties for things that wouldn’t fly with USPSA. Usually like talking s#!t about the club or staff, general assholery, etc. I love being an MD or RO but I’d rather be the range owner sometimes.😀

The BOD at that club is generally pretty good toward competition shooters but one thing they definitely definitely don't allow is people fiddling with guns in the trunks of their cars. I totally understand not having local rules and 100% don't think USPSA should, but in this case I'm with ok it.

47 minutes ago, waktasz said:

The BOD at that club is generally pretty good toward competition shooters but one thing they definitely definitely don't allow is people fiddling with guns in the trunks of their cars. I totally understand not having local rules and 100% don't think USPSA should, but in this case I'm with ok it.

I could live with that much easier than the example of reloading with muzzle over berm. PCC in parking lots doesn’t directly impact the shooting

2 hours ago, gerritm said:

Not sure how USPSA club rules trump local range rules. At these ranges it is not the USPSA club but the range that makes these rules. This goes for all matches held, not just USPSA. So good luck arguing this with the local range Safety Officer  that cruises the range and parking lot to enforce their rules. So what you are all saying is that all I have to say is I am here for the USPSA match and your range rules don't matter or apply? This is not the club tossing you it is the range. Is it really worth this instead of walking 50' to the range supplied safe table to handle your firearms? As far as I am concerned it pays to know the local range rules as well as USPSA rules.

gerritm

USPSA clubs aren't allowed to make up their own rules and DQ people for violating them. In a scenario like you described if local range staff kicks someone out of the range for violating a range rule, that person isn't DQed from the match, but it's hard to finish the match if you're not allowed to step foot on the range...

Edited by Southpaw

Oh I'm sure it does happen. If range staff is tossing people off the range for violating range rules like that I suppose it should be marked as DNF, not a DQ, but if I got thrown out for some unknown range rule I wouldn't really care how it showed up on Practiscore. 

Clubs with range staff enforcing those kind of rules should warn people on registration page. 

My thought when going to a new range that I don't know their local or range rules is to be on the safe side or to talk to other shooters when I arrive. How difficult is this concept to go to the safe area to do whatever. We all know this works.  Makes sense to me.

Most of these ranges with the strict parking lot rules would not throw someone not familiar with their rules out, just inform them what they are. Unless it was a blatant safety rule violation, then good riddance. Most of these are public ranges. 

With all the new gun owners there is a need to keep an eye on safety everywhere.

gerritm

18 hours ago, waktasz said:

You say that but it's still happened. Someone I know got DQ'd for not having their eye pro on while walking between bays at a match in NY a few years ago. 

🤮

• 5 months later...
On 1/17/2021 at 11:31 AM, Sarge said:

Probably because he would talk about it. If somebody I was ROING said they are going to take a dump and went in the porta pottie with gun belt on I would ask them how that worked? If he said I took my gun off then I would DQ him. 

Just got back from a match in colorado, at the Cameo range. All their portapotties are up against berms, and have a shelf above with safe table signage, so you can take your gun out, lay it on the shelf pointing towards the berm, then do your business. Personally, I still just bagged my gun before going in, but I wonder if our resident zealots would interrogate people when coming out to make sure they didn't point the gun any other direction, or handle ammo while in the pooper....

1 minute ago, motosapiens said:

Just got back from a match in colorado, at the Cameo range. All their portapotties are up against berms, and have a shelf above with safe table signage, so you can take your gun out, lay it on the shelf pointing towards the berm, then do your business. Personally, I still just bagged my gun before going in, but I wonder if our resident zealots would interrogate people when coming out to make sure they didn't point the gun any other direction, or handle ammo while in the pooper....

The shelf was in the s#!tter? Pretty genius I say.

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

I just strive to put s#!tters and safety areas together these days. It's pretty convenient for all involved. 

BUT I would love to hear DNROI thoughts on safety areas inside s#!tters. My guess is that's probably a no go but who knows these days. LOL

The s#!tter is a great place to practice retention reloads. There is a strong deterrent to dropping mags, and  there is a strong oder that adds match like stress.

I ain't looking to see if someone takes there gun off in the s#!tter, but they better not be turning on their pcc dot in there....

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I just strive to put s#!tters and safety areas together these days. It's pretty convenient for all involved. 

BUT I would love to hear DNROI thoughts on safety areas inside s#!tters. My guess is that's probably a no go but who knows these days. LOL

How could it be a no go? What rule would prevent it? this is the first match i've been to that actually complies with the rules because they identified the safe direction.

2.4 Safety AreasThe host organization is responsible for the construction and placement of a sufficient number of Safety Areas for the match.They should be conveniently placed and easily identified with signs.At Level II or higher matches, Safety Areas must include a table USPSA Competition RulesMarch 202120 with the safe direction and boundaries clearly shown.

Affiliation with USPSA requires that the club follow USPSA rules. 

3.3 requires club to follow USPSA rules unless they have written exemption

2.5.1 includes "or outside the portion of the range allocated to the USPSA match" so it seems that while specific to the loading/unloading station relating to the cold range principle, I feel this sets a precedent that the "range" for USPSA rule purposes is limited to space allocated to the match.  Outside that space, if not explicitly outlined in the rules such as PCC and vehicles, local site rules apply. Inside that space however, USPSA only rules apply for consistency for shooters

I do think "range" should be in the glossary to help avoid the issues being raised here.