Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the deal with 10mm PCCs?

I was wondering what all the hype is around 10mm PCCs like the Kriss Vector or the CMMG Banshee. People on the internet seem to get so stoke when a manufacture release a PCC in 10mm like its the greatest thing ever and everyone’s been waiting for it. I mean wouldn’t 300 black give you superior bullistics in a similar sized platform for about the same price per round and better availability? I suppose 10mm would be easier if you’re a reloader. What is the appeal?

because you get a reliable carbine that uses cheap glock mags of fairly high capacity that shoots a heavy bullet with a bit of power if you get the correct ammo.  Americans have always liked the  carbine/handgun shooting the same ammo thing.
At carbine length, probably make a good short range deer/pig rifle ,  also some areas limit hunting to straight wall cases. 
Id like to see Ruger come out with a 10mm and 45 version of their new carbines.

Ok good point. I guess the straight wall case is good  for reloading and hunting in certain placed. I Think 300 black would still be better overall for most. Super and subsonic options, better BC, more suppressor options, cheaper mags, cheaper options for complete guns, more common parts. I don’t know. The 10mm PCC seems over hyped to me. 

10mm is the current cool gun guy fashion caliber.  300 Blk is so two years ago.

Seriously there's a lot to like about the 10mm, but not a lot that wasn't there when Miami Vice was on broadcast TV.

different strokes for different folks. Thats why we have so many choices. You could come up with a "better" for just about any caliber on the market.  For whatever reason we dont seem to be able to get a decent capacity 44 magnum or 357 mag semi auto carbine. From what I have heard the Marlin Camp carbine 45's dont hold up. I cant bring myself to buy a Hipoint. So still lurking and waiting for a 45 non AR that catches my eye. 10mm would be ok, I just dont want to add another caliber to my list.

On 8/19/2020 at 4:23 PM, shred said:

10mm is the current cool gun guy fashion caliber.  300 Blk is so two years ago.

Seriously there's a lot to like about the 10mm, but not a lot that wasn't there when Miami Vice was on broadcast TV.

🤣 That’s  the comment I was looking for. 

When I was in Missoula, MT for a match a few year back (approx. 5 years) the local MD let me know in very certain terms that the locals had mostly made the move from 5-shot heavy-hitter revolvers (think, .454 Casull) to GLOCK G20 sidearms for walks/rides/hunting trips/etc. into the off-path areas. Cost was a factor, but he said performance was the prime consideration. I had a hard time believing they were actually shooting large bruins with handguns that WEREN'T massive-caliber revolvers.

But according to him, the full-house 10mm rounds proved to be very effective against big furry brown bears. I was more than a bit skeptical when I asked whether they had actually KILLED any grizzlies with 10mm handgun rounds from a GLOCK G20. His answer..."Oh Hell yes! That's why it's folks like it!" That sold me.

Take it for what that's worth, but I believed him him, and I think the 10mm cartridge is worthy of game, even bigger than a hog or a deer.

15 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

I was more than a bit skeptical when I asked whether they had actually KILLED any grizzlies with 10mm handgun rounds from a GLOCK G20. His answer..."Oh Hell yes! That's why it's folks like it!" That sold me.

I'm still skeptical. But a G20 is light and >15 rounds which is pretty nice in the woods. Usually I tend to think of these scenarios as only 2-3 shots, but maybe someone did it with a full magazine. http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html

The closest I've been to a brown bear was about 20 yards as one crossed the road in front of me on a motorcycle trip near Rocky Mountain National Park. I can't think of a handgun I'd trust.

More on topic, I'm a bit of a cynic with respect to gun trends and marketing. A lot of enthusiasts already have their core firearms needs met, however you want to define that. New owners are directed to classic models that have been in production for decades due to their ease of use and reliability. That means new model growth and marketing are focused on weird niches: Rossi Mare's Leg, Taurus Judge, and Mossberg Chainsaw as examples.  Even CZ got into it with their SP-01 bayonet a decade ago.  Most of these are small cheap variations on already available model that can move a few extra units.

The radial delayed blow back from CMMG and some of Kel-Tec's new designs are pretty innovative. Brownell's is doing some neat things too with the BRN-180, oh, and S&W's EZ line.  I don't think any of these have uncovered a new role for a firearm or displaced the default choice though.

The 10mm is, in my view, something you make excuses with yourself to buy only after you've assembled a minimum core collection of 5-6 guns. I don't think I'll ever own one, nor do I think I'll even both fitting a 10mm barrel to a .40 SS.  I am curious about 300blk though.

When the G20 first came out some gun writer or another (maybe even Cooper) said it had more gross muzzle tonnage than most anything else shootable with one hand.

I'm not sure that's the best metric for defense against big things with big pointy teeth, but there it is...

Nearly 100% of the backcountry bow hunters up here in grizzly country pack a Glock 10mm... I can’t even recall the last big wheel gun I saw.  I carry a 1911 10mm because I prefer a less reliable platform that weighs more and has a lower capacity:)

As far as the PCC, I can’t think of any rational reason to have one... but if I see a good deal, I’ll come up with one.