Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small rifle primers for 40 major

Norone

On 8/18/2020 at 9:24 PM, kuletchi1 said:

On the 9 major its needed due to the amount of powder that needs to burn. Depending on the powder use, i sometimes get unburned powder.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I run CCI 500 small pistol primers in all my Open loads (major and minor) and have no unburned powder.  Irun the same in 9mm minor, 40sw minor and major, and 45.  Zero problems.

Edited by zzt

CHOOSING THE RIGHT PRIMER - A PRIMER ON PRIMERS

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=56422.0

Small Handgun Standard .017" cup thickness

Small Handgun Magnum .017" cup thickness

CCI 550  See Note 1 at the bottom of page 

NOTE 1:  According to Speer/CCI Technical Services - Both the CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum and CCI 400 Small Rifle primers are identical in size.  Both primers use the same cup metal and share the same cup thickness.  Both primers use the same primer compound formula and same amount of primer compound.  They can be used interchangeably.

Small Rifle Standard

CCI 400 -thin .020" cup, not recommended for AR15 use by CCI/Speer.  Good for .22 Hornet, .30 Carbine.  See Note 1 at the bottom of the page
CCI BR4 - match primer with a thicker .025" cup.   
Federal 205 - Mil-Spec cup thickness according to Federal - okay for 5.56mm.  .0225" cup thickness.
Federal 205M - same as the 205 but the match version.
Magtech PR-SR - .025" cup thickness (not much feedback yet on this new primer as to AR15 suitability but with the same cup thickness as the Rem 7 1/2 it looks good so far
Remington 6 ½ - thin .020" cup, intended for older, lower pressure rounds Remington says do not use for the .223 Rem or other similar pressure rounds.  Good for .22 Hornet, .30 Carbine.
Remington 7 ½ BR - A match or "bench rest" primer.  Lyman & Nosler classify this primer as a Standard.  Remington says the compound is the same as the 6 1/2 but with a thicker .025" cup.
RWS 4033
Winchester WSR - some piercing issues noted when changed from silver to brass cup.  Cup thickness is a bit thinner at .021".  Most say they are good to go for the AR15 despite that, probably because of the hardness of the cup.  Some feel they are less resistant to higher pressures.
Wolf/Tula Small Rifle SR #KVB-223 - soft, sensitive copper cup, not recommended for AR15/military rifle use or high pressure rounds. 

QJM65zp.png

Edited by bigedp51

• 2 weeks later...