Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol choice advice for new guy

Ftrooper128

Hey just did my first USPSA match and I'm hooked! Shot production with my CZ P10C, but am researching what pistol would be the best option for me. Obviously there is no substitute for handling, dry firing, and shooting a pistol myself, but what firearms do you recommend for production class? I have been looking at the Shadow 2, but also the Arex Alpha is really intriguing me. I know the shadow 2 is very popular, does anyone have any experience with the Arex Alpha? What other options should I be looking at? Looking to keep cost below $1400. Before I buy a new pistol, I plan on doing several more patches with my current equipment and focusing on my technique, speed and accuracy, but I like to do my research before buying and want to get started. Also any other tips are very much appreciated. I am based out of Richmond, VA if you have any match recommendations, etc. Any other classes I should look into competing in besides production? 

Don't worry about gear. Choose whatever you like and stick to it. If you want to get good fast, then it's my belief that picking a high cap division is better. Focus on shooting and movement to get shooting sooner. Everything else is just noise. Get 3 high cap mags and save yourself the remainder on what you would have spent. Since you're new to the sport, you'll most likely think about things differently half a year from now. I know it's not the most glamorous answer and won't scratch the new gun itch, but every moment spent thinking about gear is a moment that could have been spent on thinking about shooting.

CClaseForLife is correct. Shoot the p10c for a while and get into the sport first. Than you'll have a better idea for what's going on. As for future gun purchase for production, you can go from stock Glock all the way up to custom built cz and so on. 

1 hour ago, Ftrooper128 said:

Hey just did my first USPSA match and I'm hooked! Any other classes I should look into competing in besides production? 

What are the reasons you're hooked?

Like to shoot fast? As others mentioned above, then choose a div with high cap mags, and optionally with an optic. E.g. CO, open, or limited.

Like to plan your stage and your reloads? Production, single stack, revolver.

Do you plan to reload? Do you want to shoot major? Open, limited.

Do you want to bring a rifle to a pistol match? PCC.

If you just want a new gun pistol, I'd buy something with the ability to mount an optic, just so you can shoot with an optic if you get the itch. 😇

This is all very smart advise. I have a SP-01 as well, I am planning on doing more matches with that before looking to buy a new pistol, was just looking to get an idea on what sort of pistol is worth looking at. rising sun, to answer your questions, I loved all of it! I enjoyed the rapid shooting, the reloads, planning out my routes and reload points, all of it. I don't plan on getting into reloading right now nor PCC. 

35 minutes ago, Ftrooper128 said:

This is all very smart advise. I have a SP-01 as well, I am planning on doing more matches with that before looking to buy a new pistol, was just looking to get an idea on what sort of pistol is worth looking at. rising sun, to answer your questions, I loved all of it! I enjoyed the rapid shooting, the reloads, planning out my routes and reload points, all of it. I don't plan on getting into reloading right now nor PCC. 

Something to consider is to buy something that can be shot both as a Production gun and  Carry Optics gun when you look to buy a new gun if you think a new one is necessary.  Production participants are shrinking and Carry Optics participants are growing.

Edited by Boomstick303

After having spent way too much time and money on production guns, If I was starting over I'd get an SP01 or a Shadow 1 (almost identical) and call that good. It is a personal preference thing though, need to find what fits your hand and what balance point you prefer on weight vs maneuverability. 

If you decide you like production and want to concentrate on that, you see lots of love for the Tanfoglio and CZ S2's with everything else making up the rest, but the real answer is pick something you like and shoot the snot out of it. I have seen good shooters change guns for a perceived advantage and never shoot the "better" gun as good as they did their previous one. 2019 Nationals  1st shot a Stock 2, 2nd place less than 1% back shot a Canik  so its not about the gun beyond shoot something you like, many like nice guns so that's not a bad thing just dont think the gun will help more than practice.