Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightening a bolt carrier on a AR-10

usmc1974

I have an Armalite AR10 20” rifle And a n Aero Precision AR10 that is a DPMS/SR25 pattern rifle. I don’t know about lightening the original bolt carrier, but a JP low mass bolt carrier group is 4.5 ounces lighter than a stock bolt carrier group. The JP carrier has twice the bearing surface of a stock unit, most likely for the increased velocity that the lightened carrier will experience. The JP bolt carrier group is a DPMS pattern. I replaced  my entire bolt carrier group with a DPMS pattern unit. I verified headspace and have had no issues. You have to be careful when swapping parts in an Armalite as there are some differences. If you are going to swap bolt carriers, be sure to swap the entire group, do not mix and match parts (ex; bolt, firing pin, etc.) between the two patterns. 
Hurley

A light bolt carrier combined with adjustable gas and an agressive brake dramatically reduces recoil, sight picture recovery, shot and hit calling etc. Like everything in the sport it depends how serious you are about going fast. I have a titanium 308 bolt carrier which is significantly lighter than the JP lightened one and recoil is completely different than a full weight 308 but you need to tune it all together and load your ammo appropriately for your setup. If that sounds like a lot of work im sure traditional setups will be just fine for most non competitive heavy 3 gun shooters, which is like a dozen people in the whole country.