Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much match performance do you lose switching from your primary division?

-JCN-

Looking for opinions here. If you sometimes shoot in a different division from your primary competition platform, please list your primary classification and division and what you dabble in. 

I just made “M” in CO and looking for a little recreational break, shooting other divisions. 

I want to shoot in Limited major as I haven’t spent much time shooting irons in the past few years. Even with fully prepped equipment, I’m finding that the “one class down from your highest” seems about right for my performance. 

Do you guys seem to find that’s the case? I might try running Limited until I make Master or until my 40SW ammo runs out... whichever comes first...

M in Production, usually shooting a CZ over the years with occasional forays in Prod with a Glock or Sig. I dabble in CO, shooting maybe 3 matches a year in it.

I usually shoot the optics variant of whatever my Prod gun is, so I use the same belt set up and everything "feels" the same and I'm just left to deal with optic and mag capacity. I lose maybe 5- 10% to myself in Prod and that's totally dependent on how much I practice with the CO gun prior to a match. Looking at 9 days of nationals I shot similar stages against similar competition winning the divisions and I shot some version of a CZ Shadow 2 in each of the 3 matches. So about as same-same as you can get. CO 79.1% of Max Michel. Prod 77.3% of Ben Stoeger and LIm-10 79.4% of Casey Reed. So just a 2% difference at Nats.

When I dabbled in Limited, shooting major I gained %, if you're thinking about overall finish.

kinda all depends on what you mean by dabble?

The Rona has spoiled my major match plans for the year so to keep things interesting, to me,  I've been shooting a different division / platform  pretty much every match for the last couple months (Prod with a tanfo, and Glock, Co with a glock, SS minor, Open with a tanfo, caspian, and 2011, Limited with caspian and glock,, revo with ruger and sw)

I'm a Revo GM (to me not the same level as a GM in the auto divisions)  and through this messing around I'm shooting mostly about A level, part of that is the messing around part of that is the unmotivated lack of training this year, so I think the OPs 1 Class down is probably about right.

Totally agree. It’s mainly to keep things interesting. I know my personality and I’m purposely trying to not set winning as a goal (because it’s often not in your control and dependent on others). I have to actively work to keep hobbies from morphing into something that gets so intense that it kills the enjoyment.  

After making M in CO, my next personal goal was either going to be GM in CO or M in something else. It seemed like M in something else was a safer bet for achievability and personal sanity for me. 

I like guns and I like experimenting so going from CO minor to Limited major seems like a good educational experience.  

2 hours ago, -JCN- said:

Totally agree. It’s mainly to keep things interesting. 

I like guns and I like experimenting so going from CO minor to Limited major seems like a good educational experience.  

Man just throw caution to the wind and jump into the deep end, try Revolver!

1 hour ago, mchapman said:

Man just throw caution to the wind and jump into the deep end, try Revolver!

I’m already classed in revolver! I might start shooting ICORE if this ammo scarcity continues!   I have a bunch of revo ammo lying around. 

Going to shoot my limited gun next week.  Being going revo only but those 18 and 26 shot stages really hurt with the extra reload (it’s 10 rounds max up here).  Having fun though as I didn’t shoot much IPSC last year so a lot of people are like WTF?  Especially when I beat them with an 8 shot wheel gun, no icore at all here so it’s IPSC or bust. .  Curious to see how my better revo shooting skills transfer to an auto.  My index is slightly different and yea the reloads.

Edited by MikeyScuba

OP, I'm not a great shooter by any means, but I've found your "one class down" metric to be true. I've been shooting Revolver 90% of the time and finally made "B", but I'll pull out another gun for super-classifiers and can typically make a "C".

1 hour ago, MikeyScuba said:

Going to shoot my limited gun next week.  Being going revo only but those 18 and 26 shot stages really hurt with the extra reload (it’s 10 rounds max up here).  Having fun though as I didn’t shoot much IPSC year so a lot of people are like WTF?  Especially when I beat them with an 8 shot wheel gun, no icore at all here so it’s IPSC or bust. .  Curious to see how my better revo shooting skills transfer to an auto.  My index is slightly different and yea the reloads.

In the very occasional instances that I shoot a non-revolver, I typical go to reload when there's absolutely no reason to, lol.

Ironically, the primer shortage has me moving OFF of revolver. I can still find large primers, and have an okay stockpile of small primers, but my revo's all specifically require Federal #100's and those are about as rare as an honest politician. 

You'd be surprised that a heavier trigger pull isn't always a detriment.  We did some training a month back with WIN primed reman ammo with a heavier rebound spring and 7lb trigger and didn't have any issues.  What was wired was my wife had to switch to her other revo (5.5lb, lighter rebound spring) during the training.  All but 2 went bang (out off 800+ shot).  The primers were properly seated.

As for primers they still are available north of the 49th.  My pile is above eye level so we are good for a while.  A competition gun shop nearby has 100k FED100's coming in.  I'm guessing at some point we aren't going to get resupplied for a long time but for now things are ok. Our politicians are on par with yours.

Edited by MikeyScuba

11 hours ago, matteekay said:

Ironically, the primer shortage has me moving OFF of revolver. I can still find large primers, and have an okay stockpile of small primers, but my revo's all specifically require Federal #100's and those are about as rare as an honest politician. 

Hey Matt get you a 625 and shoot L6 or load them up and shoot Revo Major if large primers are all you can find.

2 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

You'd be surprised that a heavier trigger pull isn't always a detriment.  We did some training a month back with WIN primed reman ammo with a heavier rebound spring and 7lb trigger and didn't have any issues. 

LOL. 7ish is where my pull sits right now; I've never been able to get it lower with any kind of consistency. I will say that Winchesters have worked almost as well as Federals in in all my wheelguns, but they're equally hard to come by. It's really bad down here right now, on the order of (or worse than) the Obama shortages.

1 hour ago, mchapman said:

Hey Matt get you a 625 and shoot L6 or load them up and shoot Revo Major if large primers are all you can find.

Did I mention that they're CCI? No revolver with a pull under 10 pounds stands a chance. Besides, it's probably time to shoot some other guns.