Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please help an enthusiastic newbie get his Ruger Mini 14 Rig set up right!

Hello, Everyone,

Although not new to shooting, I am a new and enthusiastic addition to the community of responsible gun owners.

My question focuses on my recent purchase of a Ruger Mini-14, and the appropriate scoping and red-dot accessories the community recommends.

Some data:

This is primarily a home-defense/ranch-defense weapon.

Primary ranges of engagement would be 0-100 yards (action), and also 100-350 yards (precision).

It would be complemented in its defense duties by a Mossberg 12-guage and a Berrata 92F.

Price budgets: Scope, <=$750; RedDot, <=$450.

I recognize I would need to purchase rails, etc.; and respectfully request suggestions for these, as well.

My idea was a top-mounted scope mounted, and the dot side mounted.

I humbly ask this great group of experts what they would recommend for a poor newbie such as myself who has a strong passion to get his rig set up right.

Any information provided would be most greatly appreciated -- my friend told me this was the forum to get advise from real gun folk.

I'm proud to be joining the community!

Thanks again in advance for your responses.

Edited by MojoPapa
improve background information

• 1 month later...

Thank you to everyone for all the insights and suggestions.

Great discussion -- from which I learned a lot.

Based on your suggestions (and the use cases of the weapon system), I ended up equipping the rifle with a:

Vortex Optics Crossfire II 3-9X50 SFP Riflescope Dead-Hold BDC MOA on a

Nikon P-Tactical 1Piece 1in 20 Moax 40mm Mount and a HOLOSUN HE510C-GR Elite side-mounted on a TruGlo 45-deg mount.

Completed the system with an OLIGHT Odin 2000 Lumens.

This configuration allowed me to make use of the only picatinny on a tactical Mini 14 (which is along top of the barrel, and most of it taken up by the scope).

So far -- very good.

Let me know if anyone wants to see some pictures.

Again -- sincere thanks to you all!!

Based on your suggestions (and the use cases of the weapon system), I ended up equipping the rifle with a:
Nikon P-Tactical 1Piece 1in 20 Moax 40mm Mount and a HOLOSUN HE510C-GR Elite side-mounted on a TruGlo 45-deg mount.

This configuration allowed me to make use of the only picatinny on a tactical Mini 14 (which is along top of the barrel, and most of it taken up by the scope).

So far -- very good.

That sounds HEAVY! You seem to be set on the offset red dot....if you’re really set on sticking with one, you should look for options that aren’t 1/2 lb hanging off the side of your rifle. Maybe check out the holosun 507c https://www.amazon.com/Holosun-HS507C-V2-Multi-Reticle-Parallax-Failsafe/dp/B084VGDK6K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the notes, MJ.

Yep, I like the configuration of the scope with a reflex @ 45 deg.

I checked out the 507C -- very cool.

Weighs in at almost the same weight as the 510C; which, you're right -- is a half a pound hanging off the right.

The Odin on the left has a balancing effect.

An excellent suggestion just the same -- thank you.

I'm going to start the hunt for the slim, light reflex.

Thanks for the notes, MJ.
Yep, I like the configuration of the scope with a reflex @ 45 deg.

I checked out the 507C -- very cool.
Weighs in at almost the same weight as the 510C; which, you're right -- is a half a pound hanging off the right.
The Odin on the left has a balancing effect.

An excellent suggestion just the same -- thank you.
I'm going to start the hunt for the slim, light reflex.

The 507 does not weight the same. It’s 1.5 ounces. You came here for advice from “this great group of experts” so you can get your rifle setup right but seem more intent on just telling us what you had already decided on. In my opinion, the setup you have with your intended use case is wrong. Good luck though. Hopefully it works out for you. Also...this forum is very much geared toward competitive shooting. You may find different opinions elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/6/2020 at 1:06 AM, MojoPapa said:

So far -- very good.

Definitely interested in pictures.

I have a mini-14 as well, but I swap out the red dot and scope (Bushnell 3 - 9 x 40 scope and a Primary Arms red dot) depending on what I'm planning to shoot.  As others have mentioned it gets heavy very quickly.

Most mini-14's aren't known as tack drivers, so good luck with your precision shooting.  With my family the mini-14 is the rifle that gets the most use when we go to the range.

@MJinPA, thank you for your response.

I confused shipping weight with product weight when I scanned the link -- apologies.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Thank you for pointing out this is a forum for competitive shooters.

I will leave now, with gratitude to all.

I appreciate everyone's consideration.

looks all wrong, to me, 3X9 makes no sense.  There are several good 1X6 scopes with illuminated reticles, that still have regular cross hairsres. Put on 1 X use it like a dot, put on 6 X for the longer stuff. Still have cross hairs if battery dies.
Question though ,have you actually tried to hit anything with that rifle at 100 yards ? Unless they have greatly improved Mini 14's were basically worthless for anything but hitting barns..... and you usually had to be shooting from inside one to do that.
AR platforms are cheap, easy and more accurate more durable, parts are available... on and on..

Edited by Joe4d

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

At a 3-gun match several years ago stage 1 started with 5 ten inch plates, swingers at 110 to 120 yards.  Shooter had to engage each plate once and go back and re-engage each plate again....the AR platform had no problem with the plates.  Competitors could also use a rest.  We had two ak's and one mini-14 ....all three went thru 2 or 3 magazines and all three did not engage all the plates with the required round before going to the next set of targets.   Fun gun to shoot but....

11 hours ago, dwzuspsa said:

At a 3-gun match several years ago stage 1 started with 5 ten inch plates, swingers at 110 to 120 yards.  Shooter had to engage each plate once and go back and re-engage each plate again....the AR platform had no problem with the plates.  Competitors could also use a rest.  We had two ak's and one mini-14 ....all three went thru 2 or 3 magazines and all three did not engage all the plates with the required round before going to the next set of targets.   Fun gun to shoot but....

Those aren't at all impossible targets with the Mini-14 or AK. While not generally regarded as the best option, they can be made serviceable if in the hands of someone who has practiced sufficiently.

I would imagine that the problem was that the shooters running them hadn't practiced much if at all and even with an AR and equal practice time, they would likely have been equally unsuccessful on that stage.

I recall shooting with a guy a few times who ran a dang SKS in some carbine matches and he could absolutely hold his own with it on 3-4 MOA targets out to 300 yds or so. I suspect he practiced a bit with it...