Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics back to iron sights

BadShot

Just curious if anyone has gone back to iron sights.  I switched back to limited minor after shooting open and carry optics for a couple of years.  I still can't see the sights without readers, but still I find it somewhat easier to shoot.  If I look back at my carry optics scores, I'm scoring slightly better with my limited minor gun.  I just shoot for fun these days, limited minor is kind of fun.

I switched back to shooting Limited this year after shooting CO for 2 1/2 years. (Going to shoot Nationals). I am now learning to shoot a completely different platform. A 2011 compared to a striker fired gun for CO. Haven’t shot my Limited gun since I started shooting CO. Plus, I have to wear glasses to see my sights now. At times I find myself questioning the sanity of my decision. But, I’m bound and determined to be the terror of B class at Limited Nationals.

I am A class in CO and B in Limited. I shoot CO much better. At least for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I'm never going back to irons.  I find that most people who think shooting optics is difficult were trying to use their eyes the same way they did with irons.

You can't.  It's the complete opposite.

Fully agree

The dot is superior.

But much harder to learn once you’ve built a sight-focused manner of thinking with irons.

And there’s nothing visible when your sights are misaligned to help you realize how you presented the gun. Dryfire and muscle memory become much more important.

• 3 years later...

For older shooters that can no longer see iron sights quickly or in focus- consider this. 

I'm assuming that those shooters wear prescription eyeglasses, and that the focus length is set for the standard 20-foot for distance vision glasses. But, the focus point on eye glasses can be set for any distance by the optical techs. All you have to do it ask. 

My 'iron sight' glasses are the same prescription as my regular distance glasses, but the focus distance it set for 25-inches. The sights are sharp and clear, and I can even read a license plate at 13-yards. The targets are slightly, but not overly, blurred. But do you really need the target to be in sharp focus? Put focused sights on a slightly blurred target and you get a hit. Put blurry sights on a focused target and you get a miss.

I made IDPA SSP MA & Bug, and EX in SSR, ESP, CDP and Steel Challenge A Class in RFPI and RFRI with those glasses. 

I did last year. Was shooting optics co & open in 2022 then switched to single stack for a level 2 match in April 2023. Then back to optics for a uspsa state and nationals match then back to single stack for a idpa state match and “iron sight” nationals.

by the next uspsa match in Nov 2023 I went back to co and first stage was a rough, half of the first stage was find the dot. Then after that I re adjusted. This year is planned for mostly optics but that can change.