Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Open build

xjwalt666

I'm getting started with my second 2011 open build. With my first one I started with a Brazos lightning slide and an STI Trubor barrel. There wasn't much material that needed to come off the barrel hood for fitting. On this new build I'm using an Atlas 5" bald slide and the KKM 5" threaded barrel they sell. I just got done with all my prefit measurements and I have a total of

.029" that needs to be removed from the sides of the hood to fit in the slide. Is it normal to have this much to remove? I just want to be sure before I start fitting it and want to make sure I don't have something thats out of spec and not returnable after I start taking material off.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I have seen more removal in the past. Double check your measurements, but it's not out of the realm of possibility
Ok I figured it was common but wanted to make sure. I do plan on checking them all again before I start working on it this week.

I have found that KKM hoods are oversized by quite a bit, and 0.030" is not outside the realm of possibility.

Like WhiteDingo said, just double check your measurements and go for it.
Ok good to know. I reached out to a couple builders and not sure its actually a kkm barrel now. Atlas said they have 2 manufacturers they use for this barrel. Waiting on a response after sending them a pic to see which one it is.