Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting without removing case lube?

ELK-K

On 10/7/2020 at 3:08 PM, CodyAxon said:

I started using Hornady one shot this year when loading and never clean it off. Have not noticed and adverse effects and will continue to do so.

Yep, tumble, one shot of One Shot, load, fire.

So far so good.

I tumble my reloaded ammo in a mini cement mixer, about a thousand at a time.  If I don't, after a 300 or so round practice session, my fingers are covered with case lube and dirt.  And it gets on everything I touch.  Tumbling is minimal time and effort, and I'd rather do that than deal with the mess.

54 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

I tumble my reloaded ammo in a mini cement mixer, about a thousand at a time.  If I don't, after a 300 or so round practice session, my fingers are covered with case lube and dirt.  And it gets on everything I touch.  Tumbling is minimal time and effort, and I'd rather do that than deal with the mess.

Amen

11 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I think I did 10:1 but don't remember off hand.

Lanolin is cheap and I got 4 bottles of iso heet for like 2 bucks at Walmart.

Yeah it’s a pretty thin mixture. Just barely turned yellow is how I gauge it

3 hours ago, amada8 said:

Related topic...... does corn cob tumbling after making the cartridge affect the bullet if HiTek or similar?

No. If properly applied that stuff doesn’t even come off when fired

• 3 weeks later...

I used to never clean lube off .223 cases until I learned the hard way the Dillon case lube does not like cold weather.  Up here in the northeast, we shoot into the cold months, and I had the lube on the brass actually congeal up and cause a jam.  Now I tumble the lube off after loading.  No issues since. 

You know, I don't lube very often, but when I do, I break out my 45+ years old RCBS lube pad and case lube. I gently roll a few cases over the pad. This has always worked. I don't bother about case lube. very little is used and most of that is wiped off handling the rounds. Never had a case that was sticky, even after several years. Sticky means too much lube. I'll stick with the method that has been 100% successful so far in my life.