Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting without removing case lube?

I’ve spent 20 years reloading pistol brass dry but I have recently started lubing cases just because sizing requires so much less force with lube. Ive been using a minimal coating of Hornady One Shot on 9mm and I’ve been tumbling off the the lube in dry corn cob after loading. I’ve shot several hundred rounds without removing the lube and it seems to have no adverse affect on reliability or the gun. I’m looking for feedback from others on shooting pistol rounds without removing lube. By the way, I am referring exclusively to range practice rounds by the thousands... not defensive or match ammo.

I use Dillon spray lube. IIRC it is basically just lanolin and alcohol.  My procedure. 
I corn cob tumble brass with a bit of case polish... Some store brand I think cabelas.,,, 
I pick a couple handfuls of brass up, throw in in the bin beside my press, give it a squirt of the dillon case lube, stir up the brass a bit. Then load.
Since going to Moly coated bullets about 15 years ago, I have never post load, re tumbled.  And dont recall ever having an issue. Ammo has such a fine coat on it you really dont feel it much. It does load easier though.
And yeh this is by the K range and practice ammo, although if I was loading match , hunting or defensive ammo my procedure wouldnt change.

I just did this recently and I didn't like the results. My brass was dusty from old overused media. The bullets ended up looking and feeling dirty. A couple rounds did't feed well. Probably my thumb against the slide but the dirty feeling brass couldn't have helped. I feel it's better to just take the extra step and remove the lube.

I use one shot as well. I absolutely do not clean it off before shooting. For any pistol round I make. This is all I do....

• pick up random range brass off ground
  • dry tumble in 50/50 corn cob and walnut until reasonable
  • dump 3 handfuls in gallon ziplok bag, spray with one shot and shake
  • dump into case feeder
  • load on 1050
  • put into ammo boxes
  • shoot
  • repeat

I do it both ways.  If I'm in the mood, then I tumble to remove the case lube.  If I'm in a lazy mood, then I just leave the case lube and shoot them.  I've not seen any adverse side effects with or without the case lube on the cases.

Wait, you're supposed to remove the lube before shooting lol..? Hahaha. I seriously have never even considered re-tumbling rounds after loading them.

IDK, but IMHO if one has to re-tumble to remove case lube, then they're using way too much in the first place. I use the Frankford Armory case lube lanolin+alcohol stuff (basically same as the Dillon stuff) and a few squirts goes a long way... I've got a plastic container with a lid that's about the size of a larger coffee can, I put 3-4 squirts in the container, throw in 4-5 handfuls of brass, put on the lid and give it a swirl/shake for few seconds, then take off the lid and wait a minute or so, then in to the case feeder the brass goes... That, plus a carbide sizing die, press runs nice and smooth as can be, rounds don't come out sticky at all and are ready to shoot.

$1 at some random dollar store:

IMG_4893.jpg

Edited by ck1

I use the double hockey sticks out of One Shot for pistol and 5.56 and don't clean it off. Been using it for near 100k rounds now. This is for blaster and match ammo.
Defense ammo is bought.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Like others have stated I do not remove the case lube after loading.  I use the Dillon case lube and put about 2-3 pumps in a 1 gallon zip lock then throw in 3-4 hands full of brass and Zip the top shut.  Then I shake it around until I feel like all the brass has contact with the lube.  I dump it into a fray next to the press as I hand feed brass.  
one comment got me thinking that I have noticed some smoke when shooting.  Never thought that some of that smoke could be associated with the case lube.  

Never been a problem for me. Back in prehistory, loading manuals noted that if you were shooting high pressure loads (60ksi +) and using a rear locking bolt action rifle, that you should remove case lube, otherwise, the chamber walls might not grip the case enough and the case would push back on the bolt too much and the bolt (being rear locking) could flex and lock up the action. This was still a rare occurrence, but it reportedly could happen.

I never worried about it and never had an issue.

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting an older thread here because I've changed my opinion slightly: I used to totally be in the "no need to clean off the lube" camp, but now I've got to amend that opinion a little...

Now I'm a believer in tumbling off the lube if the rounds are going to sit awhile: I cranked out a buttload of rounds a couple/few months back, and then somewhat recently started to get some intermittent extraction issues in my Shadow 2 and what was weird was about the same time I was experiencing exact the same thing in my MPX... at first couldn't really track down what was up because everything concerning the guns seemed just fine, so I started looking at the ammo: only after stumbling upon some old reloading thread somewhere mentioning that the dry lanolin-based case lube can get stickier and stickier over time when it sits, I found my problem. I had been getting into some rounds the had been sitting awhile and they did seem stickier than usual.

I checked my older ammo boxes, and sure enough, the longer the rounds had been sitting, the stickier they were. I threw them in a vibratory tumbler with corn cob media for 20-30mins to clean them up, and presto: no more problems.

So, I guess my amended opinion is this: with pistol rounds, if you're going to shoot 'em up in a week or 2 after you make them, don't worry about cleaning off the lube. But, if you're loading a batch where a bunch might sit for awhile until you'll be shooting them: yeah, tumble off the lube.

Edited by ck1
Resurrecting an older thread here because I've changed my opinion slightly: I used to totally be in the "no need to clean off the lube" camp, but now I've got to amend that opinion a little...

Now I'm a believer in tumbling off the lube if the rounds are going to sit awhile: I cranked out a buttload of rounds a couple/few months back, and then somewhat recently started to get some intermittent extraction issues in my Shadow 2 and what was weird was about the same time I was experiencing exact the same thing in my MPX... at first couldn't really track down what was up because everything concerning the guns seemed just fine, so I started looking at the ammo: only after stumbling upon some old reloading thread somewhere mentioning that the dry lanolin-based case lube can get stickier and stickier over time when it sits, I found my problem. I had been getting into some rounds the had been sitting awhile and they did seem stickier than usual.

I checked my older ammo boxes, and sure enough, the longer the rounds had been sitting, the stickier they were. I threw them in a vibratory tumbler with corn cob media for 20-30mins to clean them up, and presto: no more problems.

So, I guess my amended opinion is this: with pistol rounds, if you're going to shoot 'em up in a week or 2 after you make them, don't worry about cleaning off the lube. But, if you're loading a batch where a bunch might sit for awhile until you'll be shooting them: yeah, tumble off the lube.

I haven’t noticed this with Hornady one shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lube to any degree attracts dirt, powder flakes/residue etc. Even one shot. I tumble any lube off after loading. 
 When I don’t tumble lube off my hands turn black while case gauging and boxing up. That’s proof enough for me.

never found a need to clean off "Hornady one shot"  but I do clean "Imperial Sizing wax" off of my rifle cases.   One Shot does make it easier to resize and neck expand.

I don't think One Shot gets as sticky as the lanolin-based lubes when it dries, or at least maybe doesn't get stickier and stickier over time if the rounds end up hanging out for a while...

For me with the lanolin/alcohol stuff it was kind of like a science experiment going back to the ones that had sat the longest: I had loaded like 6-7k, not all at once, but over the course of like 2 weeks or less, maybe 1000 one day, 2k a few days later, so on and so forth... but due to the way I had stacked my ammo cans I've inadvertently been shooting them "freshest" to oldest, and as I got into the last 2k I'd made my guns started acting up in strange ways I hadn't experienced normally: running perfect than an unexplained FTE, perfect again for a while, random FTE, etc.

But, then I had a day where my MPX pumped through ~200rds like a sewing machine, but after I had cracked a couple 100rd boxes that had been sitting and reloaded my mags at the same session it started faking up every other round for a bit and I just happened to put 2+2 together because I had noticed when loading mags that the rounds were sticky as hell...

Anyways, moral of the story is: when your guns are running great, putting a coating of glue in your chambers will make them not run so great lol. So now if I think the rounds might sit, they're getting tumbled.

It sounds like I dont use as much lube as many on here. that 3 or 4 handfuls going into the tray gets a small single shot then stirred up.

This weekend I shot a couple boxes of 10 plus year old 40 major ammo at a pin match. Didnt notice any tackyness or any other issues with the brass. Wasnt real shiny but worked fine.
Dont see how it would bother much to do a quick corncob tumble of match ammo before chamber checking it.
Probably one of those, "cant hurt might help" things.

I found the Dillon lube to be too thick for my liking.  I use Hornady One Shot and do not wipe the lube off after loading. I've never had a jam do to using lube.  

I always tumble my brass in corn cob media.  When it's done tumbling I put all of it into a plastic bag and give a generous spray of One Shot than shack the bag.  I tumble about 200 cases at a time.

The cases come out nice, clean and shiny: ready for reloading.

52 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

I found the Dillon lube to be too thick for my liking. 

You can thin Dillon CL to less than half strength and it works the same. That’s why I started making my own.