Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Reloading WOW

My old Square Deal finally wore out pretty bad, it was used up about 35 years worth. Basically they sent me a brand new Square Deal B no cost to me. I started reloading with a Dillon, and I see no reason to change. I was told they are the best and I totally believe it. 

Thank you Mr Dillon

20200815_130200-1.jpg

Received my dillon 650 from being repaired several days ago. I have had it for 20+ years and loaded several hundred thousands rounds on it. It looks like a new press and was extremely impressed with the repair and turnaround. Why would anyone buy a reloading press that was not a dillon? Their warranty is one of the best in the industry.

A buddy of mine purchased a greatly abused 650 for next to nothing.  He called Dillon to see if they would refurbish the unit.  They indicated they would and the cost would be $150.  He had his used 650 returned within 2 weeks, and he indicated it looked almost like new.  He asked where to send the payment, and Dillon refused payment.  

I bought my Dillon Super 1050 shortly after.

Dillon is awesome.

• 5 months later...

Had one of the very first 650's in the state of Michigan.  Had to get help from a professional reloader to assemble the thing as I had no friggin' clue what it was supposed to do.

Many, many years and thousands of rounds later, the cast piece that the handle connects into broke.  I found another 650 online and bought it as I HAD to be able to reload when the original 650 was sent back to Scottsdale.  Dillon rebuilt the entire machine including some of the upgraded parts from the "newer" 650.  It was back in my hands in less than 3 weeks.  Total cost was just the shipping to Arizona.

Sold the 2nd press for more than what I paid for it.....

In this game called USPSA, success starts with those little machines we assemble called ammunition.  Dillon Blue helps you get there.

BC

• 10 months later...
On 9/1/2020 at 9:39 AM, Boomstick303 said:

A buddy of mine purchased a greatly abused 650 for next to nothing.  He called Dillon to see if they would refurbish the unit.  They indicated they would and the cost would be $150.  He had his used 650 returned within 2 weeks, and he indicated it looked almost like new.  He asked where to send the payment, and Dillon refused payment.  

I bought my Dillon Super 1050 shortly after.

Dillon is awesome.

Dillon is great at CS. But I am pretty disappointed in the warranty for the 1050 and above machines. It's only 1 year for the 1050 and 2 years for the 1100. A big negative to them IMO, and I own an 1100. I asked them why and they told me it was because a lot of folks motorize those presses and some even sell the ammo as reman. They apparently break/wear out a lot of parts and Dillon didn't feel like subsidizing their business any longer. 

Edited by jejb

23 hours ago, PhilTerry said:

The 1050  ( and above) has never been covered by the life time warranty. It was always considered a commercial machine. 

That's is contrary to what I was told on the phone by Dillon customer service. He said that when they had the lifetime warranty on those presses, they were getting a ton of warranty claims from commercial producers. But I don't that for sure, just what I was told by Dillon. 

On 12/12/2021 at 6:03 AM, jejb said:

Dillon is great at CS. But I am pretty disappointed in the warranty for the 1050 and above machines. It's only 1 year for the 1050 and 2 years for the 1100. A big negative to them IMO, and I own an 1100. I asked them why and they told me it was because a lot of folks motorize those presses and some even sell the ammo as reman. They apparently break/wear out a lot of parts and Dillon didn't feel like subsidizing their business any longer. 

As mentioned above, the 1050 always had a 1 year warranty.  I could have bought a 650 with the lifetime warranty, but I knew I would most likely lean towards automating one day and I also wanted the swagging station for 223 brass processing.  I have no issue with the 1050 having only a 1 year warranty.  I bought it after doing the research that it only had the 1 year warranty.  If I was not going to be loading 223 or automating I most likely would have ended up with the 650 at the time which is now the 750 for pistol loading.  

Companies have to make margin on items they sell.  This includes the warranty part of their after market sales.  If entities or people abuse the warranty of their products they have no choice but to institute policies that protect their bottom line.  I do not fault Dillon for this.  

I do not regret my purchase at all.  My Dillon 1050 is one of the best investments I have ever made shooting wise.  

Edited by Boomstick303

I don't regret buying my 1100 either. I was loading on a 650 prior to that, and wanted the swaging station for all the crimped 9mm brass I have been running into in the Covid era. But I'm also not happy that I gave up a lifetime warranty to do it. The reality of it though is that through 35+ years of reloading on MEC, RCBS and Dillon presses, I've really not needed a lot of warranty parts. So it doesn't keep me up at night or anything. 

Edited by jejb

I forget just what it was, but Dillon replaced some small S1050 part out of the year warranty.

They replaced a pretty big one early on, but I had to call a couple of times to get the rep who told me online that it was covered, the first guy I talked to wanted to charge for it.

I bought my 1100 for a few reasons. Everything on the down stroke was the biggest reason. I was trying out a couple ones friends have, 650, 750, 1050 and 1100. I didn't like the up stroke prime part at all. Just didn't flow well for me. That left me to the 1050 or 1100. At the time I found a new 1100 ready to ship but in 40cal. But they had a set of Lyman Pro dies and conversion kit for it in stock as well. Talked to the guys at DAA and with in a week I had everything at the house and a MBF. Best money I've spent in USPSA Ever!

• 3 months later...
On 12/17/2021 at 5:03 AM, Bakerjd said:

I bought my 1100 for a few reasons. Everything on the down stroke was the biggest reason. I was trying out a couple ones friends have, 650, 750, 1050 and 1100. I didn't like the up stroke prime part at all. Just didn't flow well for me. That left me to the 1050 or 1100. At the time I found a new 1100 ready to ship but in 40cal. But they had a set of Lyman Pro dies and conversion kit for it in stock as well. Talked to the guys at DAA and with in a week I had everything at the house and a MBF. Best money I've spent in USPSA Ever!

Totally agree, bakerjd.  I always reloaded with Lee and Lyman.  But when I bought the 1100 it was a game changer.  Since then, I have bought other Dillon presses and haven't looked back!