Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ75B magazine in Archon Type B?

fp627

Are the current Archon Type B pistols compatible with standard or MecGar 75B magazines?

I've seen a few reports (<3) on different forums saying yes but nothing definitive and it wasn't very clear from the poster if they actually owned a Type B / tried it themselves. Or if reliable meant untuned 2011 magazines in an untuned 2011 reliable or factory Glock magazines in a factory Glock using FMJ ammo reliable (let's be serious - I suspect everyone who has one has it as a range toy... and there is a lot of variation in what is considered "reliable" for a range toy).

I just tried some mags to see if they would lock in and hand cycle rounds.

Small frame Witness mags?  NO

CZ75 mags?  NO

Grand Power XCalibur/K100/Q100 mags?  Yes, but they sat proud of the magwell like a G17 mag in a G19.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Just did a little quick test (non scientific). The CZ SP-01 magazines (plastic basepads) do not lock into the mag release. However, the Mecgar CZ75 mags that I have right now were able to lock into the mag release, chamber a round, eject said round, and lock the slide to the rear. YMMV.

Edited by touji

• 1 month later...

Following up on this in particular, shot 4-5 mags with a Mecgar CZ75 mag (17 rounder) and had no feeding issues other than on rounds that were a little too long for the barrel. 

• 10 months later...
On 6/4/2022 at 11:15 AM, HammerCock said:

Hey, found this thread, wanted to chime in...

I just put a 19 rd mec gar cz 75 (oem) mag into my archon type b, unmodified, worked flawlessly for 50 rds. slide lock and all. 

How did it fit/stick out at the bottom of the grip?

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2020 at 8:18 PM, fp627 said:

Are the current Archon Type B pistols compatible with standard or MecGar 75B magazines?

I've seen a few reports (<3) on different forums saying yes but nothing definitive and it wasn't very clear from the poster if they actually owned a Type B / tried it themselves. Or if reliable meant untuned 2011 magazines in an untuned 2011 reliable or factory Glock magazines in a factory Glock using FMJ ammo reliable (let's be serious - I suspect everyone who has one has it as a range toy... and there is a lot of variation in what is considered "reliable" for a range toy).

I use one of mine for idpa :). No issues yet. Combined I have about 9k between two archons. Both broke one sear and one broke an ejector. Other than that I’ve had zero issues with extraction, failure to feed or anything like that. I know some early models had issues with light primer strikes. I have had zero. I shoot federal, Speer, pmc and blazer mostly. 

• 2 weeks later...

the only issue i've had- which is something that seems to happen occasionally with CZ75 mecgars (which is OEM) in general, is failure to lock the slide back. so far only happened once, and since my sharpie wore off, don't know which mag it was...

other than that? 8ish weeks later, using once a week, good to go!