Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen4 G34 Recoil Reduction Help

DLester

Hopefully I’ll eventually be able to offer help instead of just asking for it, but here again.  Just traded my wife’s XD9 SunCompact for a G34 to give her a chance in competition.  Went to shoot yesterday and she wants to trade back.  Can you fine folks help me figure out all the ways to reduce felt recoil on the Glock?  She hated it so bad she withdrew from this weekends competition.  We tried 115 gr she was used to from the xd, and 147 gr subsonic and she couldn’t feel any difference.  I’d like to get the Glock where she can enjoy it, but maybe should just find something else and make another trade?  

You could start reloading and then create your own nice soft sub-minor load to get her started and comfortable with the gun. Then you could ramp up the charge slowly to get it just over minor PF.

That will probably be your best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The grip angle of the Glock is different than the XD series, that might be adding to the discomfort.  Do you know anyone else with a full size gun that has a grip angle close to the XD she can try?  That would be a low or no cost method to determine if the 34 will work for her once you add other things to it.  There's only so many ways to add weight to the Glock, but I agree with tdp88 that a next step could be to get a reduced power recoil setup.

Plan A:  Buy/reload lower PF ammo, match recoil spring to load.  Have her shoot the G34 much more to get acquainted. 

Sounds like her mind is closed to it, though.  Whether you realize it or not.  Been there... got the T-shirt. 😉

Plan B:  Get her an XDM 5.25" Elite 9mm.  She liked the grip on the XD, right?  

Explain the handicap she will have trying to use a subcompact at 20yrds.   

Keep the 34 for yourself since I'm sure you already have competition holster(s) and a bunch of magazines.  

I appreciate all the advice!  I’ll try to convince her to shoot it again to get some video, but not sure I can handle the look when I tell her again to grip the heck out of it.  She actually made it through a competition with the subcompact and saw that she needed something easier to line up.  She says the 34 is making her wrist hurt.  I suspect she just wants a Shadow or some other steel frame.  I also suspect I’m looking for an excuse to buy some brass mag extensions and mag well so I just have to keep the Glock for myself.  Everybody needs a backup gun, right??

Don’t be an idiot like me. Let your wife shoot whatever gun she wants, even if it’s completely wrong and embarrassing. Over time, she’ll meet other female shooters and try other guns, then tell you she wants a gun that’s 3x more than you can afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/15/2020 at 10:16 PM, Sarge said:

Run a clandestine op. Get a shooting buddy to “Offer” to help her at a range session. She will be more receptive to their advice

This.  Been there and got the shirt, DVD, and action figure.  Whatever I say is stupid, but coming from someone else it’s enlightening info.  

11 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I couldn't pay my wife to shoot with me, let alone compete in matches. Buy her whatever gun she wants. And try to find out more exactly what she doesn't like.

Thanks for the reminder to be appreciative.  This is a great point, and I should sell the 34 while prices are up.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Lighten the slide (mill), lower recoil spring... or just get the cz shadow 2. I got both. The shadow 2 tends to dip down on recoil with the oem spring on return of the slide. But it might be perfect for your wife and u can Cajunize it to lower the DA. It’s such a Fast shooter too. 

On 8/16/2020 at 6:45 PM, rowdyb said:

I couldn't pay my wife to shoot with me, let alone compete in matches. Buy her whatever gun she wants. And try to find out more exactly what she doesn't like.

I’m in the same boat, my wife wouldn’t step foot at the range Bc it’s either too hot, too cold, too loud haha...

• 2 weeks later...

Putting a flashlight on the front like a TLR1 has multiple benefits - one of which will be keeping the muzzle flip and felt recoil down.  It is very possible to get a Glock to very comfortable levels of recoil - you just need to run light loads, i.e. 147 or 165 grain bullet with fast powder, Titegroup or N310, and put a very light recoil spring in.