Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making a new load, would you change anything

jeremy kemlo

Working  up a new load. Will try it out on saterday. Amy one shooting this combo that could give me feed back as to what worked for then or it I should adjust anything before heading to the range. 

Shadow 2 

147 bayou Bullets flat point. 
3.35 of n320
brass belled to .383 with ssi alpha powder   dropper. 
1.143 oal

crimp .375 

1 hour ago, jeremy kemlo said:

Working  up a new load. Will try it out on saterday. Amy one shooting this combo that could give me feed back as to what worked for then or it I should adjust anything before heading to the range. 

Shadow 2 

147 bayou Bullets flat point. 
3.35 of n320
brass belled to .383 with ssi alpha powder   dropper. 
1.143 oal

crimp .375 

From my notes for a Glock G17G4 with Bar-Sto Barrel:

Bayou 147 Coated FP

3.2gr N320

Avg:  893fps

ES:  17

SD:   4

OAL:  1.120"

Excellent Accuracy.  Was normally belling to .382 with DAA powder funnel.  ALWAYS crimped to .376"-.377".

IMO, your crimp is a bit too much.  May want to pull a few bullets and check for scraping of the Bayou coating.  Read this:

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=78873.0

👍

PS:  1.142 is a fine COAL as long as it fits the chamber of your Shadow 2!

Check this:

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=103620.0

Edited by HOGRIDER
SP

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

From my notes for a Glock G17G4 with Bar-Sto Barrel:

Bayou 147 Coated FP

3.2gr N320

Avg:  893fps

ES:  17

SD:   4

OAL:  1.120"

Excellent Accuracy.  Was normally belling to .382 with DAA powder funnel.  ALWAYS crimped to .376"-.377".

IMO, your crimp is a bit too much.  May want to pull a few bullets and check for scraping of the Bayou coating.  Read this:

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=78873.0

👍

PS:  1.142 is a fine COAL as long as it fits the chamber of your Shadow 2!

Check this:

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=103620.0

Oal works at 1.143. Doesn’t sprin free until It gets to 1.149.
Pulled several bullets and there is no scraping of the coating but there is a small impression/ring around the bullet. Would it be better to go with less crimp? 
 I will load some with 3.2 Of n320 as well for the test run. 

With a maximum OAL of 1.149” in your barrel with your bullets, less a safety margin of 0.015 gives 1.134”. 1.130” is what I load to in my SP-01 which should have the same leade as an S2. I haven’t had any feed or ejection issues at this length. 

On 8/13/2020 at 11:26 PM, jeremy kemlo said:

Those 2 articles are great. Based on that I need less crimp and a little shorter oal. 

Agreed, those articles are good info. Not to oversimplify it, but one of the best things I've heard concerning crimp and 9mm with coated bullets on here was: "don't think of it as a crimp die, think of it as a bell-removal die..." makes it so much easier for me looking at it that way over getting out the calipers and chasing a magic number.

Before, I was having some issues with questioning whether my crimp was set right. Since reading that, when I set my crimp die bell-removal die up, I just go a little at a time from where a round won't quite drop into the Hundo until it does, then give it an 1/8 of a turn more for some margin to work with all the different headstamped brass, and good to go. Ends up looking like there's no crimp at all, but everything passes the case gauge and chambers perfectly, no accuracy issues at all. When measured, my crimp probably averages around .379ish, but even if it it's more, if it passes the gauge it works in the gun, so I don't really sweat the number.

On 8/14/2020 at 9:46 AM, Lee64 said:

With a maximum OAL of 1.149” in your barrel with your bullets, less a safety margin of 0.015 gives 1.134”. 1.130” is what I load to in my SP-01 which should have the same leade as an S2. I haven’t had any feed or ejection issues at this length. 

I'm with Lee64, what a CZ measures out to, and what OAL really works over and over is usually different and shorter. On paper 1.130" should easily be fine in my S2, but depending on ogive, variance, or just plain bad luck, I consider 1.130" getting too close to iffy, and load for my S2 at 1.115" without having to worry about any variances in different brass/OAL biting me. I'm sure that 0.015" isn't the difference between whether I get an alpha or not lol! Point is, I wouldn't worry too much about going shorter affecting things too much with an S2, I doubt you could even measure it unless you went totally wonky and turned golfball-sized groups into baseball-sized groups. 

Honestly, I've always been confused about guys loading as long as they can get away with in 9mm, because I've never seen it really make any meaningful difference in accuracy. If it's for a 1911/2011 or some gun that needs a longer OAL in order to feed reliably, I get it... but it's not a 6mm Dasher or something where the shorter OAL might put one 1/4 mil off a plate at 700yrds lol!

Edited by ck1