Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SCSA Match Director Question - Event Insurance Coverage

Hoops

I am considering taking over a long standing steel match due to MD retirement.  

I would like to hear from MD's regarding liability concerns and the use or not use of event liabilty insurance coverage.

If anyone has liability coverage, can you provide the name of the insurance company that specilizes in shooting events.

Thank you...............Hoops

As treasurer for one of our local clubs, I’m responsible for renewing our liability insurance every year. We use Lockton Affinity for our liability insurance. Our account covers 1,000,000 for each occurrence and personal injury, 300,000 for property damage etc.

Here’s a link:

https://locktonaffinity.com

edited to add: we pay a premium of $625 annually for the coverage I mentioned above.

Edited by George16

As a sanctioning body, does USPSA not include event insurance running a sanctioned match ?  Seems kinda jacked if they dont. whats the point of sanctioning ?
Couple other sports I have been involved with included event insurance with sanctioning.

7 hours ago, George16 said:

As treasurer for one of our local clubs, I’m responsible for renewing our liability insurance every year. We use Lockton Affinity for our liability insurance. Our account covers 1,000,000 for each occurrence and personal injury, 300,000 for property damage etc.

Here’s a link:

https://locktonaffinity.com

edited to add: we pay a premium of $625 annually for the coverage I mentioned above.

George......thanks for you reply and the link.  A couple of related questions:

1.  Is your club an LLC?

2.  Do you hold your matches at a local range and pay the range owner a fee or by the gun for each match?

Thanks......Hoops

1 hour ago, Hoops said:

George......thanks for you reply and the link.  A couple of related questions:

1.  Is your club an LLC?

2.  Do you hold your matches at a local range and pay the range owner a fee or by the gun for each match?

Thanks......Hoops

1. No. Our club is registered as a non-profit corporation with the state of Florida and IRS. I have to renew that every year with the Department of State through Sunbiz Florida for $70. I also have to file IRS form 990N to maintain the club’s non-profit status.

2. Yes. We pay the range owner $3 for each shooter/gun.

Even though our club have a liability insurance, we have to ensure each shooters signs the Waiver when they register through PractiScore. If they didn’t register online, I have a paper version of the registration form with the Waiver clause in it for them to acknowledge and sign. They can only shoot in our match if they complete the registration form and signs the Waiver.

Hope this helps.

Where are you located at? 

@Joe4d unfortunately no.  USPSA doesn’t provide any insurance for a sanctioned match. I wish they do since each club pays $50 for affiliation every year plus classifier fees.

Edited by George16

14 hours ago, George16 said:

1. No. Our club is registered as a non-profit corporation with the state of Florida and IRS. I have to renew that every year with the Department of State through Sunbiz Florida for $70. I also have to file IRS form 990N to maintain the club’s non-profit status.

2. Yes. We pay the range owner $3 for each shooter/gun.

Even though our club have a liability insurance, we have to ensure each shooters signs the Waiver when they register through PractiScore. If they didn’t register online, I have a paper version of the registration form with the Waiver clause in it for them to acknowledge and sign. They can only shoot in our match if they complete the registration form and signs the Waiver.

Hope this helps.

Where are you located at? 

@Joe4d unfortunately no.  USPSA doesn’t provide any insurance for a sanctioned match. I wish they do since each club pays $50 for affiliation every year plus classifier fees.

Thank you.  Appreciate the information.  It helps.

I am in Texas.