Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S2 Carry Optics, talk me into buying one

Overscore

2 hours ago, ck1 said:

Lol I don’t think any of the 3 SRO’s I bought came with a cleaning cloth... you’d figure at ~$500 they wouldn’t forget to throw them in the box 😝

Too funny, I just received one from Optics Planet and my first thought when I opened the box was "really?". The sight is just sitting in the box unwrapped, no goodies at all 😆 

Vortex has them beat on cleaning cloths, that's for sure!

Ya.  Right from their website and from several retailers it lists as a cloth being included.  I was expecting a hood as well, but they don't include one.  You would think at that price that they would.  I didn't really care at all about the cloth.  I work in a camera store so I have plenty.  It was just another indicator to me that it was not used, but maybe not...

https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/sro3-c-2500003

7 hours ago, RobW said:

Vortex has them beat on cleaning cloths, that's for sure!

Lol, Trijicon is very proud of their stuff, and apparently lots of guys are too...  I mean they’ve been selling “1X” MRO’s for years that had magnification on day one and still do now, they just never really fixed it. They’re the H&K of the optic game maybe? 😂 

I stripped a screw once on a fairly cheap Vortex dot a couple years ago and sent an email asking for a new screw: a week later a package showed up with like 3 complete sets of screws, 2 lens cloths, stickers, and a new hat for my stepdad lol 😝 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BadShot said:

What optic do you plan on using?

Well right now I'm just going to use it as a regular iron sighted gun in Production. I have two spare optics not being used and the mounts for them on the way. But that is all future tense.

• 3 weeks later...

you can't go wrong shipping it to the big names, Primary, Cajun, Fire4Effect for milling.  But honestly, with weight not being an issue, if you can nab a OR ready version WITH the plates, throw a 11 or 13 pound recoil spring in it, you are pretty much good to go for not much money at all.  another great option, source a used shadow 2 (1K ish) and get a Primary machine ready ship slide.  Keep stock slide.  this may be the cheapest option and get you a production and OR ready gun!

The game has changed a ton without the weight cap, and with more shops offering services and requiring less extensive work to remove weight.  the work is less labor, a lot of shops offer cheaper jobs if you don't need weight relief.   

Its almost like the extensive mill jobs (plus new Kote) is for the bling.  Like getting an infinity when you could have bought an atlas... you wanted to uppitiest the game that much more.  And I say this cause I have 2 ridiculously overdone S2s cut from Fire4Effect...just cause.  shoot great love em.  my specs are totally unessesary lol!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 7:16 PM, Overscore said:

Please talk me into getting a Shadow 2 and equipping it with the spare Trijicon SRO I have lying around.  Also, please convince me that I should not just get one, but that I should also have ________________________ done to it by _____________________, or I should get the _________________ kit from ______________________ to make it a little better than it is out of the box.

By those blank lines, I'm talking about the things I've heard about but never really paid much attention to, such as pro kits from Cajun, or some sort of custom work from CZ-Custom.  Assume that I don't care what the cost of anything is, what are the best things I can do with a Shadow 2 to make it my ideal gun for carry optics?  I've been playing the IDPA and USPSA games for years, but always just shot my carry guns, a normal 75B and an 85 Combat that I got milled for an optic when the CO USPSA division eliminated the capacity limits.  I'm thinking about breaking the rules I established for myself a long time ago and getting a gun whose sole purpose is competition, although I won't be surprised if I just wind up using the S2 as my every day carry.

So, please spend my money and guide me.

I have exactly that set up.  Optic Ready Shadow 2 and Trijicon SRO 5 MOA and Optic Ready Shadow 2 and Leupold Delta Point Pro 7.5 MOA.  I just talked you into buying one.  I started off shooting with a Shadow 2 non-optic and as soon as the Optic Ready came out in Canada in January 2019, I bought one; then I bought another in August.  Why?  Because I don’t ever want to be without one.  And then, just to take things just a bit further, I taught myself how to completely disassemble one, replace parts, do a trigger job, polish the action, not once but twice and then I started doing other people’s S2’s and talking them into buying an optic ready but the reality is, the gun sold itself when I let them shoot it.  You shouldn’t have anything done to it that you can’t do yourself.  Working on the gun is a piece of cake and incredibly easy.  Do a trigger job yourself.  Easy.  Polish the action.  Easy.  Install a competition disconnector.  Easy.  And when you buy your Optic Ready S2, let me talk you into some LOK Grips, change your life, I swear.

Edited by CZFanGrrl

• 2 weeks later...

What plates are available for the Shadow 2 OR?  I see most people running SROs.  Can you put R3 Max on it?

How sturdy are the plates and screws?  I have seen someone's screw flew off during a match.  It appeared the plate (made of aluminum) lost all the thread.  Are the plates coming with Shadow 2 OR all aluminum?

3 hours ago, Dazhi said:

What plates are available for the Shadow 2 OR?  I see most people running SROs.  Can you put R3 Max on it?

How sturdy are the plates and screws?  I have seen someone's screw flew off during a match.  It appeared the plate (made of aluminum) lost all the thread.  Are the plates coming with Shadow 2 OR all aluminum?

You can't put a R3MAX on CZ S2 OR. The cut is too short.

3 hours ago, Siemens2 said:

I’ll jump in on this. Currently shoot a Shadow 1 worked over by CZC with their plate system and a DPP. Found a OR Shadow 2 locally for $1550. 
Is it worth the jump?

I’d be interested in a response to this as well. I also shoot a Shadow 1 with the CZC plate system. 

10 hours ago, Dazhi said:

I use the c and h weapons plate for my sro on my or shadow 2. They supply new screws for plate to gun and optic to plate. Torque is a very light 10 inch /pound

• 2 weeks later...

Same as Rowdy, I use the CHPWS plate.  Here is the direct link:

http://chpws.com/product/v4-mil-leo-cz-p-10-trijicon-rmr-holosun-407c-407c-v2-507c-507c-v2-508t-and-508t-v2

Couple notes:

-I believe the one they have on their site that is listed for the Optics Ready version, is actually for the CGW Optics Ready cut, not the factory S2 OR.  The one above is the correct one.

-There is no hole for removing the pin to clean the extractor.  This means in order to clean the extractor (I believe current thinking on this is around every 1,500 rds.) you will have to remove the optic and the plate to get to the pin.  Or you could drill a hole in the plate to get access just by removing the optic.  I just had CGW work on my gun and asked them to drill a hole for me which they did.

-I did not have good luck with the thread locker they included with the CHPWS plate.  It came loose after a couple hundred rounds.  I was careful to follow the directions and used a fat wrench for the install.  Removed their thread locker and used blue loktite and it worked like a charm.  

I have an SRO on the way, and ordered the OEM plate from the Czech Republic.

https://www.cz-parts.com/cz-shadow-2-red-dot-plate-trijicon-rmr

I haven't been able to find the OEM plate anywhere else but cz-parts.com.  Maybe the CZ Store have them, but their website is still down, so who knows.  It'll probably take a couple of weeks to get here, but I'll just shoot in Limited with the iron sights until then.

Speaking of divisions, does anyone know if this baseplate is all I'd need to convert the 19-round magazines to Production-legal?

https://benstoegerproshop.com/cz-magazine-basepad-base-plate-by-mec-gar/