Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pulling Bullet misteaks :-)

gnappi

A co-worker gave me 450 rounds of reloaded 115 grain FMJ 9's that a "friend" of his reloaded. Against my better judgement I took some to the range a few days ago, to see if they were usable. Well shot #1 blew out the case. I kinda sorta knew that would happen because few would give away 450 rounds of primo ammo 🙂.

So here I am with 450 rounds of hard to get 115 grain FMJ bullets and primed cases if I pull them. Being retired I have time on my hands and so far got 150 done with my kinetic puller. 

I guess the reason for the post is to warn new reloaders (maybe even seasoned ones) to double check your powder drop before loading, TEST your loads BEFORE committing to mass production, AND after that, check your throws every once in a while just to make sure nothing ran afowl during your session. Pulling them is a lot harder than spot checking your process every once in a while.

Edited by gnappi

I not condoning the use of another persons reloads but did you at least plunk test the rounds before pulling the trigger? Do you know what powder was used? (or guess from its characteristics) Did you weigh the charge? I doubt they were over/double charged but you never know.

Edited by 4n2t0

Plunk test, yup, it's something like AA5, and those I weighed were 7gr. But many of the cases were bulged and re-sized like they were previously fired in a very loose chamber. Never know, one may have been overcharged. All are in the process of being pulled. 

I'd say use an on press puller but the rcbs one I have chews into the jackets. Which is fine if your trying to save case and powder but won't help on your mission. I would say just do 20 a day till they are gone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, m700 said:

I'd say use an on press puller but the rcbs one I have chews into the jackets. Which is fine if your trying to save case and powder but won't help on your mission. I would say just do 20 a day till they are gone.

The hornady cam lock puller does reasonably well with jacketed. Less so plated, and coated lead not at all. They may not be cosmetically perfect, but jacketed usually comes out very usable.

5 hours ago, m700 said:

Yeah, slow is better than trying to do them all at once. I got them a long time ago and found more tucked away on my bench I'm up to 650 now. 

I'm using a kinetic puller with a 9mm shell holder. It's a lot faster than the aluminum collet thingies that come with the puller.  I found a few that were crimped to hard it took almost 20 whacks to extricate the bullet from the case. 

bullet_puller.jpg

I second the hornady bullet puller. I bought one last week because I needed to pull about 40 bullets and didn't want to go through the hassle of using the kinetic puller and it was truly painless and super quick

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Mikeski said:

So with primers being hard to get, can you pull a live primer from a case?

Don’t try to remove the primer.   Not only is it kinda dangerous but there is no need to.  There are several ways to do this but here is what I would try..

After pulling all the bullets (hopefully without damaging very many) Take the de priming pin out of your sizing die on the press, Size the case while leaving the primer in place, and bell the mouth, dump powder and seat and crimp the free bullets.  You would get Custom made, useable ammo for the just cost of powder.  

right now 500 primers are probably more valuable than the same weight of pure gold.  

1 hour ago, Mikeski said:

So care to share your technique?

Sure but it's super complicated...I slowly decap them just like spent primers.

*Note: They may seat loosely the second time around, which is a whole other problem.

Edited by 4n2t0

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 1:48 PM, gnappi said:

I'm using a kinetic puller with a 9mm shell holder. It's a lot faster than the aluminum collet thingies that come with the puller.  I found a few that were crimped to hard it took almost 20 whacks to extricate the bullet from the case. 

Just make sure all the primers are properly seated if you're using a shell holder in place of the collet:

https://www.shootersforum.com/threads/inertial-bullet-puller-warning.50347/

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 7:34 PM, slowhands said:

Just make sure all the primers are properly seated if you're using a shell holder in place of the collet:

https://www.shootersforum.com/threads/inertial-bullet-puller-warning.50347/

Wow that sucks. I would about to order a shell holder, because I hate the collet it comes with.

Also, I have the hornady cam lock puller, and I pulled a couple hundred 40 the other day, all coated BBI or blue and it wasn't as much as marking any of them.

I had a bunch of 115 rn plated to pull as well, but the collet just kept setting the bullets back. Had to use the kinetic on those. Maybe I'm missing a collar or something.