Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP01 Production


Recommended Posts

So I am thinking about running one of my SP01s for Production and was wondering what are the hot ticket modifications to get. This thing is bone stock and I think I want to make it into a SP01 Accushadow so I will obviously need to get that slide.

 

Any tips are appreciated! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, horhey232 said:

So I am thinking about running one of my SP01s for Production and was wondering what are the hot ticket modifications to get. This thing is bone stock and I think I want to make it into a SP01 Accushadow so I will obviously need to get that slide.

 

Any tips are appreciated! 

A race hammer with short reset (0,2), 10lb recoil spring, CGW 11lbs hammer spring and little polishing and you're good to go.

Edited by Fasthenk65
Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you have a shadow already (no firing pin block) you won't be able to drop a shadow slide on without deleting the lifter in your sear cage. Also, it won't be production legal at that point (dumb, but that's the rules).

You can add a Cajun 10x bushing if you want the same potential accuracy upgrade as the accushadow.

I would just do sights, springs, and polish everything to start with.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

I would just do sights, springs, and polish everything to start with.

 

This is what I'd do too.  Sights should probably be a flat back and fiber optic front if you want to follow the popular consensus.

 

The firing pin block guns can get excellent triggers with a little work. The main difference is that the reset not quite as short as the Shadows. @kneelingatlas wrote up a nice guide to polishing CZ trigger components here. It's also pinned at the top of this subforum.

On top of sights, springs, and polishing, my guns generally have the competition hammer and a short reset disconnector.  If one was shooting worse than 1" at 10 yards I'd repair it with the 10x bushing, but they don't need it yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, belus said:

If one was shooting worse than 1" at 10 yards I'd repair it with the 10x bushing, but they don't need it yet.

 

I just started dropping in the 10x bushings by wrote on my CZ's.

$60.00, easy peasy install, should have better wear characteristics I think, and the more precise fit to the barrel is obvious.

 

That said, I agree that many CZ's shoot great without it and a smarter fellow might wait and see.

Link to post
Share on other sites

sights you like

stainless steel guide rod

recoil spring you like

extended firing pin

lighter firing pin spring

extra power extractor spring

hand fit or drop in disconnector

trigger shoe you like

different trigger return spring

race/competition hammer

eric grauffel sear spring

lower weight main spring

grips you like

shadow 2 mag release

10x bushing

polish everything shown in the atlas tuning guide

 

other than the shadow 2 mag release then you'd basically have what every cz shooter was shooting before the shadow 2 came out. i've owned i think 3 different accu shadows and they all shot amazing.

 

Edited by rowdyb
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Shadow 2 for Production as I like that choice better. I still shoot a SP01 Shadow in IDPA SSP and have done very little to it. My minimum list would look like this:

 

Things you like as far as grips, controls and sights. $0-150

SS guide rod, preferred recoil spring $40

lighter firing pin spring $4

If your gun is already a Shadow then get the disco, if your gun is a regular SP01 I say get the hammer, if you can only get one. $30-70

lighter main spring $5

polish the very living crap out of it per the Kneeling Atlas thread. $?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DesertTortoise said:

Unless you have a shadow already (no firing pin block) you won't be able to drop a shadow slide on without deleting the lifter in your sear cage. Also, it won't be production legal at that point (dumb, but that's the rules).

You can add a Cajun 10x bushing if you want the same potential accuracy upgrade as the accushadow.

I would just do sights, springs, and polish everything to start with.

See I was actually confused about that. So USPSA Production rule 21.1 state that all factory safety mechanisms must be intact but at the same time wasn't CZ Customs taking SP01and adding Accushadow slides to make the Accushadow? Is it even possible to tell?

 

I also saw that you can swap parts with any other gun on the Production list but I am assuming there is a clause that doesn't allow you to make your own Accushadow?

Link to post
Share on other sites

SP01 has the firing pin block, but SP01 Shadow does not from the factory. So it's not removed because it was never there.

I'm not sure if it is possible for anyone but you to know if you put a shadow slide and sear parts to convert the pistol into a shadow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

At a bare minimum the CGW ultra lite kit will get you a substantially lighter trigger pull for $49 https://cajungunworks.com/product/54420-ultra-lite/. Following the polishing guide will make it even better. 

 

If you want to go whole-hog then the Pro Package for 75 manual safety pistols plus polishing would be the way to go https://cajungunworks.com/product/75110-pro-package-for-75-series-manual-safety/

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, tdiddi said:

Check out videos from "abyss1232" on Youtube for polishing and installing CGW parts.  His videos were really helpful when upgrading my CZs.

I will check them out. I had to leave my CZ guru behind back in California when I moved out of the state. I may end up just sending the gun to CGW and have him do it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, rowdyb said:

sights you like

stainless steel guide rod

recoil spring you like

extended firing pin

lighter firing pin spring

extra power extractor spring

hand fit or drop in disconnector

trigger shoe you like

different trigger return spring

race/competition hammer

eric grauffel sear spring

lower weight main spring

grips you like

shadow 2 mag release

10x bushing

polish everything shown in the atlas tuning guide

 

other than the shadow 2 mag release then you'd basically have what every cz shooter was shooting before the shadow 2 came out. i've owned i think 3 different accu shadows and they all shot amazing.

 

 

And, maybe not necessary, but OCD folks like myself really love the overpriced CZ Customs sight pusher. Will not fix elevation but works great for its intended purpose. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

im my opinion, the "accu" part is kinda a waste of money unless you want it "just because".  these guns are very mechanically accurate, far more than your human ability to shoot...not you personally I mean just all people.  At least for practical action pistol.  first thing id do is run the gun stock in a few matches and see what you like.  easiest / fastest mod is Cajun extended firing pin and 11 and 13 pound hammer springs.  that's going to significantly reduce your stock DA pull.  

 

Run that for a bit and decide what you think needs fixing.  basically, the answer is 1 of 2 things, CZC parts or cajun gun works parts.  whole kits are 350-400 for the full install, or you can just get bits a pieces which each do different things.  

 

in my opinion, non shadows are inherently worse than shadows, especially shadow 2s which are the best out of the box.  this is because shadows do not have firing pin blocks, and shadow 2s actually have pretty good stock hammers, etc and can get a pretty amazing trigger pull with jut a spring change.  

 

non shadow SP01s, not as easy.  I think the full cajun kit is going to work wonders for these guns, versus a lot of shadow 2 owners feel less value in the full cajun kit.  your money is probably better spend in cajun parts than a new slide / accu bushing. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IF788 said:

im my opinion, the "accu" part is kinda a waste of money unless you want it "just because".  these guns are very mechanically accurate, far more than your human ability to shoot...not you personally I mean just all people.  At least for practical action pistol.  first thing id do is run the gun stock in a few matches and see what you like.  easiest / fastest mod is Cajun extended firing pin and 11 and 13 pound hammer springs.  that's going to significantly reduce your stock DA pull.  

 

Run that for a bit and decide what you think needs fixing.  basically, the answer is 1 of 2 things, CZC parts or cajun gun works parts.  whole kits are 350-400 for the full install, or you can just get bits a pieces which each do different things.  

 

in my opinion, non shadows are inherently worse than shadows, especially shadow 2s which are the best out of the box.  this is because shadows do not have firing pin blocks, and shadow 2s actually have pretty good stock hammers, etc and can get a pretty amazing trigger pull with jut a spring change.  

 

non shadow SP01s, not as easy.  I think the full cajun kit is going to work wonders for these guns, versus a lot of shadow 2 owners feel less value in the full cajun kit.  your money is probably better spend in cajun parts than a new slide / accu bushing. 

 

What he said ^^^
13 or 11.5 lbs main spring.  On of my sp01 shadows runs fine with the 11.5 the other needed a 13 to ignite Wolff steel ammo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, IF788 said:

im my opinion, the "accu" part is kinda a waste of money unless you want it "just because".  these guns are very mechanically accurate, far more than your human ability to shoot...not you personally I mean just all people.  At least for practical action pistol.  first thing id do is run the gun stock in a few matches and see what you like.  easiest / fastest mod is Cajun extended firing pin and 11 and 13 pound hammer springs.  that's going to significantly reduce your stock DA pull.  

 

Run that for a bit and decide what you think needs fixing.  basically, the answer is 1 of 2 things, CZC parts or cajun gun works parts.  whole kits are 350-400 for the full install, or you can just get bits a pieces which each do different things.  

 

in my opinion, non shadows are inherently worse than shadows, especially shadow 2s which are the best out of the box.  this is because shadows do not have firing pin blocks, and shadow 2s actually have pretty good stock hammers, etc and can get a pretty amazing trigger pull with jut a spring change.  

 

non shadow SP01s, not as easy.  I think the full cajun kit is going to work wonders for these guns, versus a lot of shadow 2 owners feel less value in the full cajun kit.  your money is probably better spend in cajun parts than a new slide / accu bushing. 

 

I may shoot it stock for a while. That is what I did with my current production pistol (Glock 34) and I was able to better grasp what I wanted to change. The other thing I am contemplating is should I try the SP01 or just sell it and get a Shadow 2? The only reason I got the SP01 was because I was in California at the time. Now that is no longer an issue I am tempted to just get a Shadow 2. I was considering a Tanfoglio Stock II but some people have told me that the Shadow 2 is a better option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, horhey232 said:

I may shoot it stock for a while. That is what I did with my current production pistol (Glock 34) and I was able to better grasp what I wanted to change. The other thing I am contemplating is should I try the SP01 or just sell it and get a Shadow 2? The only reason I got the SP01 was because I was in California at the time. Now that is no longer an issue I am tempted to just get a Shadow 2. I was considering a Tanfoglio Stock II but some people have told me that the Shadow 2 is a better option.

I like the shadows better and for me the difference in price between a so01 and a sp01 shadow (standard version not czc or cgw) is worth the price.  I would pay the difference just for the easier maintenance. 
The difference between a s2 and a Tangfolio stock2 is harder to answer. The shadow 2 has more support and “followers” in the US but for me it boils down to grip.  While the shadow 2 needs less “work” out of the box the Tanfo large frame just fits me better and points better.  That said I shoot my CZ the most because the upper I have works for CO and production it has interchangeable plates and accepts the SRO. It also works in IDPA ssp, esp and co. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, horhey232 said:

I may shoot it stock for a while. That is what I did with my current production pistol (Glock 34) and I was able to better grasp what I wanted to change. The other thing I am contemplating is should I try the SP01 or just sell it and get a Shadow 2? The only reason I got the SP01 was because I was in California at the time. Now that is no longer an issue I am tempted to just get a Shadow 2. I was considering a Tanfoglio Stock II but some people have told me that the Shadow 2 is a better option.


Shooting it stock for a couple matches is a good plan. You may want to make sure you have the recoil spring weight you like first though.

I don't think either the Tanfoglio Stock II has or CZ S2 has an advantage over the other. I shoot CZs because I was invested in that platform when I started and I haven't had to change my belt up as I experimented within the CZ brand. If it's important to keep the same magazines/pouches get an S2, if it's not then the Stock II would do fine. The Stock II seems preferred by people with larger hands.

Within the CZ brand, I think it's worth upgrading to the S2 from the SP-01 'B'. The S2 has a more than adequate trigger out of the box and better sights. If you already had a polished/tuned Shadow of some variety then I would not advise the change, as I don't think the extra weight alone is an advantage to the S2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, IF788 said:

in my opinion, non shadows are inherently worse than shadows, especially shadow 2s which are the best out of the box.  this is because shadows do not have firing pin blocks, and shadow 2s actually have pretty good stock hammers, etc and can get a pretty amazing trigger pull with jut a spring change.  

 

 

Only difference I can remember is a less than 0.5 Lb pull weight penalty (guessing it is closer to 0.25#, there are some numbers posted on the CZ tuning master thread) which I don't think would ever make any difference in a match. Choosing between a Shadow 1 or SP01 I personally would likely go with whichever I ended up paying less for all told, but if the difference was under $100 I would likely spring for the Shadow. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One other tidbit while I am thinking about it.

 

If you install an extended firing pin, and a reduced weight firing pin spring, and load using deep seated soft federal primers, and flub the draw causing your gun to fall on concrete, a non fpb gun may go off. I know this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Only difference I can remember is a less than 0.5 Lb pull weight penalty (guessing it is closer to 0.25#, there are some numbers posted on the CZ tuning master thread) which I don't think would ever make any difference in a match. Choosing between a Shadow 1 or SP01 I personally would likely go with whichever I ended up paying less for all told, but if the difference was under $100 I would likely spring for the Shadow. 


Only one of my CZs is a safety non-shadow (75B Compact) and it has the smoothest DA trigger of the lot and it feels the lightest. The SA reset is a bit longer, but I doubt I'd notice it in a match.  It's been through the custom shop like most of my others and I'm not sure what special magic Eric Zinn did to it in 2008, but it he must have been proud as his initials are stamped behind the extractor. Tuning a B version is not an impossible task by any means.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

 

Only difference I can remember is a less than 0.5 Lb pull weight penalty (guessing it is closer to 0.25#, there are some numbers posted on the CZ tuning master thread) which I don't think would ever make any difference in a match. Choosing between a Shadow 1 or SP01 I personally would likely go with whichever I ended up paying less for all told, but if the difference was under $100 I would likely spring for the Shadow. 

in my experience the trigger will be harder to tune compared to shadow because you fight more parts with the firing pin block.  it takes force and travel to make that work and shadows simple don't have that in the way. 

 

a huge issue for me personally with non shadows, is roll pins.  the firing pin block, firing pin etc is held in by a roll pin which to me is the devil and a major cause for failure, puts a massive headache in home modding.  shadows taking the firing pin out is a 10 second job.  in non shadows its about 30-60 minutes depending how many roll pins you smash to bits while cussing and crawling on the floor trying to find the ones you drop.  I hate hate hate roll pins!

Edited by IF788
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2020 at 8:44 AM, horhey232 said:

So I am thinking about running one of my SP01s for Production and was wondering what are the hot ticket modifications to get. This thing is bone stock and I think I want to make it into a SP01 Accushadow so I will obviously need to get that slide.

 

Any tips are appreciated! 

I am actually doing that same swap, actually CZC is doing it.  I lucked out and bought a complete Accushadow slide from Stuart.  I ended up sending him the rest of the gun to mod and build and hopefully will have it back in the next few weeks.  I asked him about converting it to a non FPB model and he said it was no big deal and all that needed done was removal of the firing lifter lever.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...