Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classification Question

horhey232

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

(EDIT: How to shoot B class clasifiers consistently? Dryfire your draw and reload like crazy. You don’t have to shoot horribly fast to land a C or B classifier if your draw and load are quick. You have to stop taking so long to accomplish those tasks, and it’ll leave you plenty of time to hang good hits on paper.)

^^^ This.

It's a common misconception that you have to push your trigger speed to get better scores, when it's about doing everything else faster and creating a buffer of time to spend on getting good hits. If you're in D class, your draw and reload can be relatively easily shortened by 1-2 seconds combined. Spread that extra time over, say, 10 shots on a classifier and you have 0.1-0.2 extra time per shot to place them smack in the middle, resulting in higher and consistent score in the same amount of time. Then you can take the waste out of transitions and you get quite a bit of "free time" buried in your current runs...

15 minutes ago, cjmill87 said:

Maybe a silly question but which % does this relate to, the actual % or the % possible?  Recent example of Lvl II below

image.png.4de8084c658c742744e3384e6c085544.png

The first one  - the actual percentage. That's always 100% at the top (the winner) and everyone else is scored relative to the winner. 

The "possible percent" is the number of points relative to the total number of points available (add points for each stage). In the example above, the overall winner didn't win every stage so he didn't get the maximum available number of points. Here's a simple math. Take the number of points the winner got and divide by the percent possible: 1,478.1591 / 0.9506 = 1554.975, which is the total of points on all stages - 1555. If you now divide the number of points for each competitor by the total, 1555, you'll get your "% psbl" numbers. 

Notice that the total number of points is always an integer because it's the sum of available points per stage (which is the number of points one can earn, twice the number of alphas plus the number of steel targets on standard stages). Individual scores on each stage are fractions because they are just the "stage value" (an integer) multiplied by the HF percentage of the stage winner. When you add up all stages, you end up with total points which are now no longer integers (unless you win all stages or math just works out to have zeros after the decimal point). 

On 8/12/2020 at 12:12 PM, IVC said:

It didn't. Win the C class as a D shooter and get even more bragging rights...

In reality, your most likely concern after the match will be that you tried too hard and ended up performing below your level, not that you went as a D. If you think you have the skill to win the C class and you made it your goal (it's a nice and measurable goal), make sure you perform at your peak level and not "give up" the victory to someone else because you were trying to go faster than you could. If you shot well and didn't end up on top of C, that's good too - it's your homework for the next match. 

So I thought I would follow up this thread with how I did. I set my "high" goal to win C Class as a D classified shooter for Production. My "low" goal was to beat at least 1 C class shooter as a D class shooter. Among the 6 C class shooters I placed right in the middle beating 3. The match turned into kind of a mess and through another squads arbitration request one stage was thrown out that I did really well on. Apparently the CRO/RO decided to call hit if the shooter hit the steel in the calibration zone but didn't fall and count it as a hit and a bunch of shooters wanted a reshoot under that call. I am sure you have seen the memes if you follow any of the USPSA meme pages.

Anyways I got my mental game back on track and getting ready for the next state match next month. Kind of concerned about ammo prices but I still have to push forward.

Just wanted to say thank you to helping me getting my focus back on where it needs to be!

3 hours ago, horhey232 said:

Among the 6 C class shooters I placed right in the middle beating 3.

That's great and that tells you that you're more than ready for the next class up. You will make that C class and as soon as you do, you will set your eyes on B. It's always like that with people who are competitive and decide to work on goals - you look at the steps ahead of you and climb them one at a time. 

I am glad you had a positive experience and that you picked a good and measurable goal. Now you know how to look at your performance - match is to compare against local competition, classifiers to get an idea of your overall skill level nationally. Before you know it, you'll start looking at the top guys at your local matches and trying to figure out how to shave the time and start matching theirs. That's the idea, when you measure progress with classes, but you compete against the actual people in the match...

3 hours ago, horhey232 said:

Apparently the CRO/RO decided to call hit if the shooter hit the steel in the calibration zone but didn't fall and count it as a hit and a bunch of shooters wanted a reshoot under that call.

That's a blunder, I would even call it incompetence. Calling a hit without steel falling is not allowed at any level match. Oh, well, you also got to learn what happens when match officials mess up a stage...

3 minutes ago, IVC said:

That's great and that tells you that you're more than ready for the next class up. You will make that C class and as soon as you do, you will set your eyes on B. It's always like that with people who are competitive and decide to work on goals - you look at the steps ahead of you and climb them one at a time. 

I am glad you had a positive experience and that you picked a good and measurable goal. Now you know how to look at your performance - match is to compare against local competition, classifiers to get an idea of your overall skill level nationally. Before you know it, you'll start looking at the top guys at your local matches and trying to figure out how to shave the time and start matching theirs. That's the idea, when you measure progress with classes, but you compete against the actual people in the match...

Sometimes I think how much further I would be if I took USPSA more seriously when I first started shooting matches 5 years ago instead of just the last year or so. I am starting to dry fire on my off days and I have my sights set on getting better.

1 minute ago, IVC said:

That's a blunder, I would even call it incompetence. Calling a hit without steel falling is not allowed at any level match. Oh, well, you also got to learn what happens when match officials mess up a stage...

Not going to lie I was a little upsetti spagetti because I did pretty well on that stage but again it doesn't eat me up. Just got to focus on the next state match next month.